Fan's View Fan's View 23/24 - No. 6 - Charlton at home

Sorry to hijack this thread, and it may have also been linked to in a Carlisle related thread, but this similar blog on our first home game of the season is a good read.

Sorry to hijack this thread, and it may have also been linked to in a Carlisle related thread, but this similar blog on our first home game of the season is a good read.

Maybe we should start chanting, "Oxen-ford, Oxen-ford".

• Haha
Reactions: MJB

Is the statue now a thing for visitors?

Blimey I’m exhausted after reading that. More history and drinking than I can cope with. No wonder his stomach rebelled

I quite enjoyed it actually. And some people think I'm long winded. The beers would have done me - a bit of a mix there too.
I read it the other day and thought that someone should give him the number for Alcoholics Anonymous!!! I'm amazed he can remember everything after having that much to drink, especially with every drink being different to the last.

• Haha
Quite simply it does not represent value for money, and I wanted a change.

I had been an Associate Director for five years, and enjoyed a lot of what that entailed. For instance, as we had overseas ownership, it meant that the owners very rarely went to away games. Each club has to provide, free of charge, 12 Boardroom tickets to its visitors, so these were not being taken up, meaning that the ADs were able to use them. If we hadn't, then there would have been several instances where OUFC would have had absolutely nobody representing the club in the away Boardroom! One season I went to every single away game this way, and it's really good fun, as you get to meet all sorts of interesting football people, get a VIP parking space, and generally treated extremely well (there is a bit of rivalry among most clubs about whose hospitality is best, so they try to outdo each other).

The normal cost for this when I started was £2,500+VAT and I had a management consultancy company at that time that I was able to charge it through, so I got the VAT back. Last season it went up to £3,000+VAT, meaning I was paying £3,600 which I didn't feel was value for money, but I bit the bullet and gave them the benefit of the doubt, as certain promises as to improving the level of service at home games (which has the "Kassam factor" to it!!!) were made. These improvements did not come to pass, and I felt somewhat taken for granted.

This close season I knew there would be changes as Tim Williams had come in and it seemed as though he very much wanted it to be "his" Boardroom. The changes involved changing the title to "Patron" which I think is a stupid title, and reminds me of a pub car park where there is often a sign saying "Patrons Only"! Putting up the price further to £3,250+VAT, which is a total of £3,900 and removing several of the benefits that previously existed. For instance, it no longer includes cup games, the system whereby you could credit your ticket if you couldn't make a game has been removed, and last but not least it now only includes one away game, and that is at the invitation of Tim Williams.

For someone like me, who's done countless hours of unpaid work for the club, on the stadium mostly, and never asked for anything in return, it felt like a massive slap in the face. I don't want or expect special treatment, just to be treated with respect, and I don't feel that has happened. I'm very much a man of principle and I won't be taken advantage of by people who've been at the club for five minutes, and then sit smiling in the same room as them, so it was an easy decision for me to vote with my feet. I've bought a seat in the front row of SSU Premium, about ten seats along from where I used to sit, for £310 (as a pensioner) and I can wear what I like (I hated wearing a suit to football) and all I'm missing is a Firoz Kassam chicken dinner and a parking space.

There were 26 Associate Directors and there are now 12 Patrons, so it's a master stroke from the club!
Respect for your reply Colin.
We all want our club to be successfull but some of the things off the pitch do not bear analysis. Last season I paid £250 (Britannia Club!) just to get into the bar after a match - er WTF?
We're cooking on the pitch - shame that our "owners' are so detached.

£29 for an away ticket at our place? That’s a bit steep and it is a bit of an embarrassment considering I think some other clubs charge stupid prices.

• Sad
The hospitality side of the new stadium needs to be addressed and the whole concept planned out with all supporters considered. It's quite something that at every home game, and I mean every game, ex 1893/lounge members gather on the concourse and lament the demise and the current lack of anywhere to gather in comfort and chat. Many of us would never have made the friends we have if it were not for the 1893/lounges.
Whatever format the new stadium takes it must, simply must, consider all supporters and what they would want. And if they need any justification then it will be that all the income will go to the club.
My group of friends is now minus 3, all as a result of the 1893 debacle - all of us "exterminated" - treated like s**t. I fear for things at "the new stadium".

Back
Top Bottom