Fan's View Fan's View 23/24 - No. 6 - Charlton at home

It's why Chelsea, and some others, have started putting players on eight year contracts, to spread the depreciation over several years, as a way of getting around FFP. However I believe the football authorities have now wised up to it and said that, whatever the contract length, the player can only be amortised over (I think?) five years maximum.
Yes that is correct, it came in over the summer.

Excellent as usual Paul. Colin's input equally impressive.
Care to explain why you are no longer a "patron" Colin? Is there a also a worrying change in the way things are being handled at our club?

Quite simply it does not represent value for money, and I wanted a change.

I had been an Associate Director for five years, and enjoyed a lot of what that entailed. For instance, as we had overseas ownership, it meant that the owners very rarely went to away games. Each club has to provide, free of charge, 12 Boardroom tickets to its visitors, so these were not being taken up, meaning that the ADs were able to use them. If we hadn't, then there would have been several instances where OUFC would have had absolutely nobody representing the club in the away Boardroom! One season I went to every single away game this way, and it's really good fun, as you get to meet all sorts of interesting football people, get a VIP parking space, and generally treated extremely well (there is a bit of rivalry among most clubs about whose hospitality is best, so they try to outdo each other).

The normal cost for this when I started was £2,500+VAT and I had a management consultancy company at that time that I was able to charge it through, so I got the VAT back. Last season it went up to £3,000+VAT, meaning I was paying £3,600 which I didn't feel was value for money, but I bit the bullet and gave them the benefit of the doubt, as certain promises as to improving the level of service at home games (which has the "Kassam factor" to it!!!) were made. These improvements did not come to pass, and I felt somewhat taken for granted.

This close season I knew there would be changes as Tim Williams had come in and it seemed as though he very much wanted it to be "his" Boardroom. The changes involved changing the title to "Patron" which I think is a stupid title, and reminds me of a pub car park where there is often a sign saying "Patrons Only"! Putting up the price further to £3,250+VAT, which is a total of £3,900 and removing several of the benefits that previously existed. For instance, it no longer includes cup games, the system whereby you could credit your ticket if you couldn't make a game has been removed, and last but not least it now only includes one away game, and that is at the invitation of Tim Williams.

For someone like me, who's done countless hours of unpaid work for the club, on the stadium mostly, and never asked for anything in return, it felt like a massive slap in the face. I don't want or expect special treatment, just to be treated with respect, and I don't feel that has happened. I'm very much a man of principle and I won't be taken advantage of by people who've been at the club for five minutes, and then sit smiling in the same room as them, so it was an easy decision for me to vote with my feet. I've bought a seat in the front row of SSU Premium, about ten seats along from where I used to sit, for £310 (as a pensioner) and I can wear what I like (I hated wearing a suit to football) and all I'm missing is a Firoz Kassam chicken dinner and a parking space.

There were 26 Associate Directors and there are now 12 Patrons, so it's a master stroke from the club!

Last edited:

I had been an Associate Director for five years, and enjoyed a lot of what that entailed. For instance, as we had overseas ownership, it meant that the owners very rarely went to away games. Each club has to provide, free of charge, 12 Boardroom tickets to its visitors, so these were not being taken up, meaning that the ADs were able to use them. If we hadn't, then there would have been several instances where OUFC would have had absolutely nobody representing the club in the away Boardroom! One season I went to every single away game this way, and it's really good fun, as you get to meet all sorts of interesting football people, get a VIP parking space, and generally treated extremely well (there is a bit of rivalry among most clubs about whose hospitality is best, so they try to outdo each other).

The normal cost for this when I started was £2,500+VAT and I had a management consultancy company at that time that I was able to charge it through, so I got the VAT back. Last season it went up to £3,000+VAT, meaning I was paying £3,600 which I didn't feel was value for money, but I bit the bullet and gave them the benefit of the doubt, as certain promises as to improving the level of service at home games (which has the "Kassam factor" to it!!!) were made. These improvements did not come to pass, and I felt somewhat taken for granted.

This close season I knew there would be changes as Tim Williams had come in and it seemed as though he very much wanted it to be "his" Boardroom. The changes involved changing the title to "Patron" which I think is a stupid title, and reminds me of a pub car park where there is often a sign saying "Patrons Only"! Putting up the price further to £3,250+VAT, which is a total of £3,900 and removing several of the benefits that previously existed. For instance, it no longer includes cup games, the system whereby you could credit your ticket if you couldn't make a game has been removed, and last but not least it now only includes one away game, and that is at the invitation of Tim Williams.

For someone like me, who's done countless hours of unpaid work for the club, on the stadium mostly, and never asked for anything in return, it felt like a massive slap in the face. I don't want or expect special treatment, just to be treated with respect, and I don't feel that has happened. I'm very much a man of principle and I won't be taken advantage of by people who've been at the club for five minutes, so it was an easy decision for me to vote with my feet. I've bought a seat in the front row of SSU Premium, about ten seats along from where I used to sit, for £310 (as a pensioner) and I can wear what I like (I hated wearing a suit to football) and all I'm missing is a Firoz Kassam chicken dinner and a parking space.

There were 26 Associate Directors and there ar now 12 Patrons, so it's a master stroke from the club!

Another pr 'own goal' ,this time at Board level , by the chuckle brothers.... and it was only at the AGM a few months ago when GF asserted we will get things right

when is the next Fans Forum?

For someone like me, who's done countless hours of unpaid work for the club, on the stadium mostly, and never asked for anything in return, it felt like a massive slap in the face. I don't want or expect special treatment, just to be treated with respect, and I don't feel that has happened. I'm very much a man of principle and I won't be taken advantage of by people who've been at the club for five minutes, and then sit smiling in the same room as them, so it was an easy decision for me to vote with my feet. I've bought a seat in the front row of SSU Premium, about ten seats along from where I used to sit, for £310 (as a pensioner) and I can wear what I like (I hated wearing a suit to football) and all I'm missing is a Firoz Kassam chicken dinner and a parking space.

There were 26 Associate Directors and there ar now 12 Patrons, so it's a master stroke from the club!
It’s very sad that we’re at last making progress on the pitch but scoring own goals away from it.

It's quite disappointing that we are firing on the pitch under a great manager, and things like this are happening at boardroom level.

TW and GF nearly left it too late last season with removing KR, and nearly cost us our L1 status. I haven't forgotten that. Glad you're still enjoying the games at better VFM.

This is an appalling way to treat loyal and valuable support. However, it's become quite the norm over the recent seasons. The abandonment of the lounges/1893 club, the change to the designation of Premium seating and the use of the restaurant to exclude anyone who isn't prepared to throw buckets of cash away on a "Firoz Kassam Chicken Dinner" (£60 per person for a season ticket holder) I've made no secret of my disgust at how the club have treated some of the long standing supporters, quite a few who can no longer attend because of the lack of a parking space (mobility) and the lack of anywhere warm at half time. Some of those supporters were attending when it was still Headington Utd.

To hear that associate directors have had their wallets pilfered to the extent that they no longer feel justification in paying out the extra is short sighted and just plain rude.
At this point I had written something about Mr. Williams that I realised might not be accepted by the mods and have, therefore, deleted.

Echoing the words of others: it's a fine complement to the main Fan's Voice.

Do you have a plan for the return fixtures?

Echoing the words of others: it's a fine complement to the main Fan's Voice.

Do you have a plan for the return fixtures?
We thought it would be a better compliment to the home games against each club, as for the away fixtures @Paul B does a longer review, taking in his whole day out, pubs, real ale etc.

It's early days still, so things may change, and I'm fully open to any suggestions that might improve my side of it.

Big debate at Deloitte about how you account for footballers on the asset sheets too. I believe they run them down as intangible assets but it’s a murky old world…see Chelsea for further details

It has been a big debate for a long time. I had the 'pleasure' of writing a dissertation on accounting for footballers and the Bosman Ruling in 1997.

Big debate at Deloitte about how you account for footballers on the asset sheets too. I believe they run them down as intangible assets but it’s a murky old world…see Chelsea for further details
Was it derby who conjured up a new version of intangibles that if you expected to sell them for more than you bought them , there was no write down at all ?

Was it derby who conjured up a new version of intangibles that if you expected to sell them for more than you bought them , there was no write down at all ?

They changed their accounting policy of valuing players and overvaluing the sale price of Pride Park to hide over £30m losses. From the EFL statement in The i article:

"The EFL released a statement on Monday afternoon, which stated that the commission had found that Derby’s “policy regarding the amortisation of player registrations was contrary to standard accounting rules” and “not in accordance with accounting standard FRS102”."

From the article below, according to Matt Slater of The Athletic, Derby started revaluing player values using a residual value based on such sources as transfermarkt and consulting agents:

There were 26 Associate Directors and there are now 12 Patrons, so it's a master stroke from the club!
So 26 Associate Directors at £3,000 is £78,000, 12 Patrons at £3,250 is £39,000, so the changes have reduced income by 50% and ’Patrons’ by 54%. The quote ‘Don’t bite the hand that feeds you’ comes to mind.

@Colin B This is where your seats gone. What you need is a business and employees (and possibly, more money than sense)

@Colin B This is where your seats gone. What you need is a business and employees (and possibly, more money than sense)

I did see that, and had a read through it.

For the £4,000+VAT basic Yellow Package you only get 4 seats, at one game, in the bit behind the Directors Box, and a meal in the restaurant, not even the Boardroom. You do not get a ticket to any other games.

A few years ago, when Tony Davidson was Commercial Director, he started a different version of the Business Club, and with that I got most of the same networking and marketing benefits listed in today's launch PLUS a two ticket season ticket for EVERY game in any part of the ground. The cost was £1,000+VAT!!!!

I think it's a shame that we've lost having respected business people representing the club at away games and in the Directors' box at home games. Is it a shift towards a "them and us" of the owners and their representatives versus the fans?

We had a few years with Greig B-T as MD who is obviously a fan, and also CM used to represent the club on occasion when Ian Lenagan for instance wasn't attending particular away matches. Did Oxvox committee members also have a similar role?

Good analysis Colin. So Duchatel still owns the Charlton ground?

Re the patrons issue, looks like you’ve been caught in the commercial cross-fire.

The owners have got to treat long-term, influential supporters like you better. Particularly with all that way to go with the new ground.

Separately, there is nowhere to go for a post-match drink at or near the ground now if you are a humble ST holder. (Excepting Francesco and Benitos, where to be fair they are pretty friendly but it’s not a real ale treasure is it?)

I think it's a shame that we've lost having respected business people representing the club at away games and in the Directors' box at home games. Is it a shift towards a "them and us" of the owners and their representatives versus the fans?

We had a few years with Greig B-T as MD who is obviously a fan, and also CM used to represent the club on occasion when Ian Lenagan for instance wasn't attending particular away matches. Did Oxvox committee members also have a similar role?
Thanks for the kind words Mark, and I think you're right about the "them and us" situation, unfortunately.

OxVox have never had that role, and I think it would be a conflict of interest for them actually.

Good analysis Colin. So Duchatel still owns the Charlton ground?

Re the patrons issue, looks like you’ve been caught in the commercial cross-fire.

The owners have got to treat long-term, influential supporters like you better. Particularly with all that way to go with the new ground.

Separately, there is nowhere to go for a post-match drink at or near the ground now if you are a humble ST holder. (Excepting Francesco and Benitos, where to be fair they are pretty friendly but it’s not a real ale treasure is it?)
Thanks Tim, yes, he does still own the ground, and the training ground.

And you're right about the lack of post-match (and pre-match) drinking, and meeting, options around the ground. The sooner we move, the better.

Thanks Tim, yes, he does still own the ground, and the training ground.

And you're right about the lack of post-match (and pre-match) drinking, and meeting, options around the ground. The sooner we move, the better.
The hospitality side of the new stadium needs to be addressed and the whole concept planned out with all supporters considered. It's quite something that at every home game, and I mean every game, ex 1893/lounge members gather on the concourse and lament the demise and the current lack of anywhere to gather in comfort and chat. Many of us would never have made the friends we have if it were not for the 1893/lounges.
Whatever format the new stadium takes it must, simply must, consider all supporters and what they would want. And if they need any justification then it will be that all the income will go to the club.

The hospitality side of the new stadium needs to be addressed and the whole concept planned out with all supporters considered. It's quite something that at every home game, and I mean every game, ex 1893/lounge members gather on the concourse and lament the demise and the current lack of anywhere to gather in comfort and chat. Many of us would never have made the friends we have if it were not for the 1893/lounges.
Whatever format the new stadium takes it must, simply must, consider all supporters and what they would want. And if they need any justification then it will be that all the income will go to the club.
That has certainly been the case, to provide a breadth of F&B options at the new stadium, right since day one of its conception.

However, I'm becoming slightly concerned with the recent "hospitality and premium" offerings from the club, and feel there's an unrealistic view of what is an acceptable price for some of these things. I'm now one further step removed from the coalface, with the new stadium, and it does bother me that the likes of Legends (the likely new stadium operators) will price everything at top dollar, especially as I suspect they may have had an input into the recent club pricing. I know, from earlier dealings with them, that their view on "hospitality and premium" pricing was way out of synch with what some of us felt was realistic.

Having said all of that, now is the time to make sure these things are discussed, and fans' views heard, at upcoming stadium meetings (such as Stand United) and consultations with the club.

Back
Top Bottom