3rd Test England V Australia - Headingley

Labuschagne showed how to bat yesterday - he had some luck, but watched the ball well and made England work really hard for his wicket. It was a clear template for getting through periods on this pitch, even if not many runs were scored.

Unless something magically changes, the Aussies are retaining the Ashes, and so far, deservedly so.

Labuschagne showed how to bat yesterday - he had some luck, but watched the ball well and made England work really hard for his wicket. It was a clear template for getting through periods on this pitch, even if not many runs were scored.

Unless something magically changes, the Aussies are retaining the Ashes, and so far, deservedly so.
agree

.... apparently Archer can bat 'a bit' - as well as bowl, wonder if .... ???

straw grasping I know :rolleyes:

at 54-6 , after just 24 overs ... at lunch .... any straw is worth grabbing, with both hands IMO :sneaky:

Woakes went for 5 .... we don't have batsmen we have dominoes

Archer at the crease ... and will be on the end of lots of 'short' balls

Utterly brainless cricket played today. I don’t like people questioning passion or the ‘Aussies wanting it more’ as I know all the England team will want to win the Ashes, but some of the shots played today … Dan Norcross on Twitter summed it up as Australia have bowled some brilliant balls but the brilliant balls haven’t taken the wickets.

In 2019 alone, England have had two sub-100 scores – 77 in Bridgetown against the West Indies and 85 against Ireland. A mention should go to the 58 they scored in 2018 against New Zealand. Different XIs but the same outcome. Dumb, aggressive cricket from a load of players who should know better. They’re in the team because they’re regarded as good county players (except for Roy) and they play like that.

I know some will want to parachute in Pope, Sibley, Crawley, Foakes etc but I say keep this squad for the Ashes once its been lost which it surely will after this Test. Don’t punish any debutant or players not in the current squad by being associated with this debacle. They don’t deserve it.

A total rethink for the Test side a la the ODI side is needed. An overhaul from top to bottom for England to realise how they want to play. Boom or bust doesn’t work and whilst ultra aggressive can land you a 4-1 home win against India but it will yield nothing away in Australia. I would start all over again and that includes the likes of Root, Bairstow and Buttler. There’s only a couple of players who would justify their selection at present and I’d look to build a younger, balanced squad with those with a good mindset and stout technique at the heart of it.

Buttler gone ... & now Archer .... nightmare in Yorkshire this has been

67 All Out.

I'd let Trevor Bayliss go after the test as it's not going to improve a jot. This test team look and bat like a village team after a night out. They just don't look interested or capable to work hard or value their wicket. That is fully on the coach and selectors.

Pathetic.

Utter feckin shight! W a n k B o l l o c k s. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:
That said we are only just over a 100 behind...

Jeez! We just walked up to the shops to get a few bits and bobs thinking we'll watch after lunch. All out for 67! An Ashes test match and we're all out for 67. Come on!

Aussies 10-1 and it's been reviewed
Warner gone then LBW.... first convict wicket to Broad in the 2nd innings

even if we bowl the convicts all out cheaply, is there anyone who'd back Englands batsmen to sucessfully chase even a relatively low score of say 150?

• Haha
Reactions: Ian
No, we wouldn't get 150 the majority of times in the fourth innings with this batting line up against this attack

Another 20 or so runs & the convicts might consider declaring ... and give themselves an extra 3 days off in the process

Move Root to bat at 4 for starters. If there is a better captain in the side then take the captaincy off Root - but I'm not sure who has any experience.

Drop Roy.

As for the rest of the (alleged) batsmen - if there are any young players in the county set up who are even on the verge of selection then select them. Once we lose this game (and we will) then the Ashes are gone anyway.

Move Root to bat at 4 for starters. If there is a better captain in the side then take the captaincy off Root - but I'm not sure who has any experience.

Drop Roy.

As for the rest of the (alleged) batsmen - if there are any young players in the county set up who are even on the verge of selection then select them. Once we lose this game (and we will) then the Ashes are gone anyway.
maybe drag Boycott out of retirement to open .... even in his advanced years he'd still put up a better display with a bat, than the entire current England batting order :sneaky: ... there again Boycott knows how to bat in test matches :rolleyes:

wow! Leach got some turn there ... Harris gone... bowled!

Woakes get shot of Khawaja.... for a massive knock of 23 !!!

Back
Top Bottom