Education or Religious Beliefs?

Exactly the same could be said about other religions, after all Northern Ireland. Or Christianity being the basis of death sentences for homosexuals in some African countries. Groups of Hindus lynching Muslims to death in India because of false claims over treatment of cattle etc etc.

Is there a religion that doesn't have violence involved at some point?

Then there is violence under the aegis of non-religious groups such as white supremacists, far left/far right groups.

Exactly the same could be said about other religions, after all Northern Ireland. Or Christianity being the basis of death sentences for homosexuals in some African countries. Groups of Hindus lynching Muslims to death in India because of false claims over treatment of cattle etc etc.

Then there is violence under the aegis of non-religious groups such as white supremacists, far left/far right groups.
I couldn't say for sure, but Buddhists seem very peaceful. I can't think of any incidents off the top of my head linking Buddhists to violence, it possibly has happened though. I met an Indian guy once who has a "Jain", I don't think he could even eat root vegetables, seemed very peaceful.

Violence by white supremacists are very rare in comparison to Islamist attacks, Breivik springs to mind.

In regards to @Concretebob I kind of think religion was largely just used as a means to control populations, and when people had very bleak lives in the middle ages it gave hope of better and easier life after death. I do think though, there is a fair amount of evidence Jesus existed. I'm a bit nerdy maybe but this video I found interesting:

I couldn't say for sure, but Buddhists seem very peaceful. I can't think of any incidents off the top of my head linking Buddhists to violence, it possibly has happened though. I met an Indian guy once who has a "Jain", I don't think he could even eat root vegetables, seemed very peaceful.

Violence by white supremacists are very rare in comparison to Islamist attacks, Breivik springs to mind.

In regards to @Concretebob I kind of think religion was largely just used as a means to control populations, and when people had very bleak lives in the middle ages it gave hope of better and easier life after death. I do think though, there is a fair amount of evidence Jesus existed. I'm a bit nerdy maybe but this video I found interesting:

The Buddhists are at it as well, in a contemporary sense in Myanmar against the Rohingya, as well as the other examples given in the following article:

I wasn't comparing quantity tbf with white supremacists rather that other religions and non religious groups commit violence just as easily as the followers of Islam. It was just a counterpoint to the oft-wheeled out comment about 'Religion of peace' for Islam which never gets mentioned for other religions who also claim to be peaceful. The 'medieval death cult' could likewise apply in the same way.

The Buddhists are at it as well, in a contemporary sense in Myanmar against the Rohingya, as well as the other examples given in the following article:

I wasn't comparing quantity tbf with white supremacists rather that other religions and non religious groups commit violence just as easily as the followers of Islam. It was just a counterpoint to the oft-wheeled out comment about 'Religion of peace' for Islam which never gets mentioned for other religions who also claim to be peaceful. The 'medieval death cult' could likewise apply in the same way.
In Sri Lanka too: https://theconversation.com/violent-buddhist-extremists-are-targeting-muslims-in-sri-lanka-92951

I don't think evidence that a person call Jesus actual existed is particularly controversial however claiming he walked on water is, particularly as we know only Greg Leigh can walk on water.

Are there no heroes left? The Quakers are alright aren't they? If nothing else they make decent porridge.

Are they the guys who created cereal to stop people pleasuring themselves looking at pictures of George Baldock?

Wasn't that Kelloggs?

I thought it was John Harvey Kellogg who was a miserable bloke who didn't like people enjoying themselves.

Last edited:
That is some train of thought, how can I stop people w*****g? Corn flakes!

Indeed and tbf, they really are dull.

Cornflakes are the food of the Seventh Day Adventists. He wrote a 7 volume guide on how to be a fun sponge. He was that bad the Seventh Day Adventists ultimately chucked him out iirc.

Back
Top Bottom