Education or Religious Beliefs?

And here we go again...... education or religious beliefs?

So the headmaster "apologises unreservedly"
The teacher is suspended.
The school is closed.

Because a teacher showed a cartoon of a mythical figure?

Was it only 6 years ago people were saying "Je suis Charlie" after the massacre in France?

And here we go again...... education or religious beliefs?

So the headmaster "apologises unreservedly"
The teacher is suspended.
The school is closed.

Was it only 6 years ago people were saying "Je suis Charlie" after the massacre in France?
I'm not religious in the least but I try not to offend those who are if that offence had no other higher purpose. Life's too short.

I'm not religious in the least but I try not to offend those who are if that offence had no other higher purpose. Life's too short.

Ironically the lesson was about blasphemy so surely the children should have a broader educational range, to make them better people, than the narrowed ideology of religion?
Sadly the "religion of peace" often shows it`s true medieval dogma.

Totally agree with you. Yes, we live in a democracy, and I accept the teacher concerned hasn't committed any race-hate offence. I also agree with Emmanuel Macron's approach that freedom of speech must be maintained provided it doesn't incite hatred.

However, we need to look at the bigger picture and ask ourselves - why do it? Why kick a massive hornet's nest just to create division where division didn't previously exist? We know form Charlie Hebdo and the murder of Samuel Paty, that this was never going to end well. I really don't know what he was trying to achieve?

Totally agree with you. Yes, we live in a democracy, and I accept the teacher concerned hasn't committed any race-hate offence. I also agree with Emmanuel Macron's approach that freedom of speech must be maintained provided it doesn't incite hatred.

However, we need to look at the bigger picture and ask ourselves - why do it? Why kick a massive hornet's nest just to create division where division didn't previously exist? We know form Charlie Hebdo and the murder of Samuel Paty, that this was never going to end well. I really don't know what he was trying to achieve?
You said it better than I did. (y)

As a teacher he has to maintain a fair and disciplined approach. To not be aware of what harm he could be doing by showing a cartoon is a dereliction of care. He is an educator and should be used to presenting a researched and proper education to his pupils. He could very easily have sought information on the subject before making such a crass error of judgement.
Those of us who are not followers of Islam or believers may not understand what the fuss is about but, as a teacher, he has a duty of care towards his pupils. Sadly, in this instance, he has failed badly. Would it have been so difficult to inform himself before proceeding with his display? The demographics of the school alone should have tipped him off that it might not have been advised to stumble into a lesson with such a scant regard for the sensitivity of others. What on earth was he thinking?

As a teacher he has to maintain a fair and disciplined approach. To not be aware of what harm he could be doing by showing a cartoon is a dereliction of care. He is an educator and should be used to presenting a researched and proper education to his pupils. He could very easily have sought information on the subject before making such a crass error of judgement.
Those of us who are not followers of Islam or believers may not understand what the fuss is about but, as a teacher, he has a duty of care towards his pupils. Sadly, in this instance, he has failed badly. Would it have been so difficult to inform himself before proceeding with his display? The demographics of the school alone should have tipped him off that it might not have been advised to stumble into a lesson with such a scant regard for the sensitivity of others. What on earth was he thinking?

The lesson was about blasphemy so showing examples is part of the lesson?
Irrespective of the demographic the teacher has to have the freedom to teach a much broader world view than the myopic visions of "religion".

The lesson was about blasphemy so showing examples is part of the lesson?
Irrespective of the demographic the teacher has to have the freedom to teach a much broader world view than the myopic visions of "religion".
You don't have to blaspheme to teach about blasphemy.

You don't have to blaspheme to teach about blasphemy.

Could argue that the teacher didn`t.
They showed an example of what some people consider to be blasphemy.
Is it not part of a teachers role to encourage & stimulate discussion so the pupils learn and develop views?

Is it not part of a teachers role to encourage & stimulate discussion so the pupils learn and develop views?
For your sake I hope their are no Islam's Cornish fishermen ('or women', 'yes alright or women') out there.

Whether he blasphemes or not is not the point. He could have talked about Charlie Hebdo, mentioned that some cartoons were drawn which caused offence and the brutal murders that followed, and left it at that. There's no need to show the photos. If the kids are interested in seeing the cartoons, then they can Google them.

Either would be preferable to ignorance, to wit: the prophet Mohamed (PBUH) is an historical person. He died on Monday, 8 June 632, in Medina, at the age of 62 or 63.

Whether he blasphemes or not is not the point. He could have talked about Charlie Hebdo, mentioned that some cartoons were drawn which caused offence and the brutal murders that followed, and left it at that. There's no need to show the photos. If the kids are interested in seeing the cartoons, then they can Google them.

Quite. I've no idea what subject(s) the teacher was supposed to be qualified in but to be either unaware or uncaring enough to show a picture of Mohamed (PBUH) to any Moslem is unbelievably ignorant or willfully inflammatory.

in a christian study (which of course doesn't acknowledge other religions.
Clements-figures-attitudes-to-homosexuality-01-2017-F1.png

One of the (many) irrational things about religion is that only one person needs to think you've blasphemed and you've blasphemed.

One of the (many) irrational things about religion is that only one person needs to think you've blasphemed and you've blasphemed.

One of the irrational things about this forum is that only 1 poster needs to think it's all gone swimmingly and it's all gone swimmingly ;)

Either would be preferable to ignorance, to wit: the prophet Mohamed (PBUH) is an historical person. He died on Monday, 8 June 632, in Medina, at the age of 62 or 63.

There is much debate though as to whether the person who existed actually prophesied the Quran, as many believe, or just added his name to the good bits.
People far cleverer than I have said there is linguistic evidence that the Quran is just a redaction of a pre-Islamic Syriac holy text.
Bit like the Bible, another universally adaptable book that is taken by extremists as being "fact".

Religion eh..... worse than politics.

Back
Top Bottom