Matches Early Kick Offs to Save Floodlight Costs

On Kieran Maguires Facebook page there’s something on there about it costs about £100 per hour to run floodlights. Have no idea if that’s true but if so not such a major issue for league clubs but obviously an issue for grass routes clubs.
As I say no idea if that’s correct.

On Kieran Maguires Facebook page there’s something on there about it costs about £100 per hour to run floodlights. Have no idea if that’s true but if so not such a major issue for league clubs but obviously an issue for grass routes clubs.
As I say no idea if that’s correct.
Didcot Town claim it is currently costing £120 per hour for their floodlights.
I'm concerned about how big an increase local schools who rent out training pitches in the evenings are going to have to impose.

Didcot Town claim it is currently costing £120 per hour for their floodlights.
I'm concerned about how big an increase local schools who rent out training pitches in the evenings are going to have to impose.
That's a good point.
I'd only been thinking of professional clubs with fans paying to come and watch a match, and that a few hundred pounds on a match day was hardly going to break the bank.

But obviously for a few mates renting a pitch to play five-a-side, I'd guess the pitch fee is partly designed to cover the lighting cost? Similarly midweek training for Saturday and Sunday league teams.

Now take that sort of percentage increase and apply it to stadiums literally 10 times bigger than theirs.

The idea of moving 3pm kickoffs to 12:30 or 1pm was floated within several footballing bodies including the EFL a couple of months back, but as per, nobody did anything about it. They could’ve had this all sorted by now which would also have given fans up and down the country advance notice of potential changes to their travel plans, let alone clarity for clubs.

I still live in hope that one day the footballing authorities in this country will do something genuinely proactive.

Now take that sort of percentage increase and apply it to stadiums literally 10 times bigger than theirs.

The idea of moving 3pm kickoffs to 12:30 or 1pm was floated within several footballing bodies including the EFL a couple of months back, but as per, nobody did anything about it. They could’ve had this all sorted by now which would also have given fans up and down the country advance notice of potential changes to their travel plans, let alone clarity for clubs.

I still live in hope that one day the footballing authorities in this country will do something genuinely proactive.
There will probably be some sort of attendance 'tipping point' where it would become viable. Remember if you move a kick-off to 1:30 from 3pm you may negatively impact the overall attendance (people who work on Saturday mornings then go to the game, kids playing school matches etc...), a probably dip in away attendances, and more than likely a decrease in food/drink takings as people may be less inclined to get to the ground 3 hours early if it kicked off at 1:30.

The minimum the EFL should be doing is discussing it and giving clubs the option should the away team agree.

Is there a precedence for moving the kick off times of football matches when money is involved? Probably caught the FL out because it’s literally never happened before.

Is there a precedence for moving the kick off times of football matches when money is involved? Probably caught the FL out because it’s literally never happened before.
Didn't it happen back in the 70s? Energy crisis, winter of discontent period?

from memory not all of them are turned on deliberately. The lighting setup was to cover the increased light requirements from maybe hosting things like england age group matches, for league 1/2 the light requirements are lower, therefore need fewer lights.

Back
Top Bottom