International News Covid-19 .....

I think the deterrent would have the desired effect don't you. Or do your sympathies lie with the anti vaxxers?
No and No.

Fines just wouldn’t be collected.

No sympathy for anti vaxxers . Get jabbed.

We'll have to agree to differ on that but I think fines would give a big incentive particularly to those on the fence. The Australian example will give some real life data on this in time I guess.

👍

This is what I think will happen if we did go down this route.

I think also the anti covid passport brigade gives us an insight into the reaction to any sort of punishment or exclusion for not vaxxing.

But yes, I agree, I would be interested to see how this actually works out in Oz.

I think also the anti covid passport brigade gives us an insight into the reaction to any sort of punishment or exclusion for not vaxxing.

But yes, I agree, I would be interested to see how this actually works out in Oz.
I'm not saying fine won't go unpaid. That's true of all fines. But what I do think is many sitting on the fence or who are just gripped by inertia would be suitable 'chivvied' to go and get vaccinated.

I'm not saying fine won't go unpaid. That's true of all fines. But what I do think is many sitting on the fence or who are just gripped by inertia would be suitable 'chivvied' to go and get vaccinated.

Maybe offer them £50 to spend on food/drink/drugs ? 🤷‍♀️

The only vax-related fines in Australia that I am aware of are very specific. If you work in a particular place (e.g. NT) and a particular sector (e.g. public facing) then you can be fined if you work while not vaccinated. I'm not sure it will be particularly illuminating. (unless there are other fines I'm unaware of).

If WA decide to do something like that, we will go hard which would be interesting to see. There are folks getting substantial prison sentences (3 months porridge + 7 suspended) for fraudulently evading travel restrictions to come and watch their team play in the AFL Grand Final which was held in Perth.

So are you against all fines given some will always go unpaid?

Not against fines where someone breaks the law.

But I just feel that this approach would not necessarily achieve the desired impact. Only my opinion of course.

You are right that some sat on the fence may will decide to get jabbed, but I am not sure it would be of a magnitude to make any significant difference.

I think you may end up with those of wealth just paying their fine and carrying on, and those less well off will either be forced into vaccination or will not pay the fines. It creates another divide between those with money and those with not.

I would prefer to see those who choose not to vaccinate to be penalised if their actions result in hospitalisation and add to the strain on our NHS.

Not against fines where someone breaks the law.

But I just feel that this approach would not necessarily achieve the desired impact. Only my opinion of course.

You are right that some sat on the fence may will decide to get jabbed, but I am not sure it would be of a magnitude to make any significant difference.

I think you may end up with those of wealth just paying their fine and carrying on, and those less well off will either be forced into vaccination or will not pay the fines. It creates another divide between those with and those with
money
Seems an unusual approach. Don’t fine people because it may negatively affect those with less money, but if they get sick then hammer them. It’s a sort of passive-aggressive enforcement approach which would have negative health outcomes for the poor.

I don’t have much objection to people being “forced into vaccination” for covid. The majority of those who don’t want to get vaccinated (ie those without bona fide health reasons) are influenced by very confused ideology. Andrew Wakefield will go down as one of the most murderous frauds in history for giving oxygen to the antivax movement. Without that festering Pandora’s box of bullshit the world would be further ahead in its fight against covid.

That’s good to hear Mark.
Hoping to go by train from Blackwater via Reading to Oxford for Morecambe. Just need to work out the bus from Oxford to Kassam. Usually go by car but no car until March as wife used it for work and I’m now officially retired

Bus right outside the station to either BBL or GR

Well I don’t think i am in the middle of a pandemic. Double jabbed. I’ve been in the office all the way and when my colleagues came back when allowed we’ve been fine. One woman caught it but she’s fine apart from sense of taste and we sit six feet apart.

And I’ve been to several games on trains and the tube (wear mask when mandated). And the trams at Sheffield. And buses and pubs. And don’t wear a mask indoors or on buses or trains or supermarkets.

Perhaps I am just lucky.
And there's your problem. If the government tell you to act as if it's over people will think it's over. You then end up having significantly higher hospitalisations and deaths than comparable countries in Europe (Spain, France, Italy, Germany).

Anyway better six feet apart than six feet under eh.

20211016_084008.jpg20211016_084034.jpg

Last edited:
Don’t fine people because it may negatively affect those with less money, but if they get sick then hammer them. It’s a sort of passive-aggressive enforcement approach which would have negative health outcomes for the poor.

I don’t see fines as the answer because I don't see that it will get that many additional people jabbed. If they already have really strong beliefs about not getting jabbed I don’t see a financial threat being persuasive enough.

But if their actions result in hospitalisation with Covid, they should be asked to contribute to the cost of their care.

Seems less aggressive than a blanket fine for not being jabbed.

I think we have all seen stories about anti vaxxers who end up in hospital and realise how serious this can be. Once they have had that experience and their lives have been saved, I think they would be more incentivised to pay.

Last edited:
And there's your problem. If the government tell you to act as if it's over people will think it's over. You then end up having significantly higher hospitalisations and deaths than comparable countries in Europe (Spain, France, Italy, Germany).

View attachment 7321View attachment 7322orry I missed the bit where "the government

View attachment 7321View attachment 7322

Help me out, when did the Government say "act like it is over" ?
I`m sure the guidance remains for hands - face - space especially in indoor spaces with folk you don`t normally mix with?
Other guidance is to test regularly, get jabbed and isolate where needed.

I`m sure you can provide a link or a tweet to this other advice I seem to have missed..........

Back
Top Bottom