International News Covid-19 .....

It’s also worth adding that although our vacation rates started with one of the best rollouts in the world it’s now fallen behind big time. There are pockets of population with 50% vaccinate & overall it’s below 60% . Simple things like mandatory mask wearing in shops, public transportation should have been kept.
its all very we saying use your common sense but it’s not as common as you think it is.
yore decision not to protect yourself may b fine for you but could cost someone else their life .
Covid passports on a temporary basis, say for the winter would have boosted vaccination rates.
As it stands it’s the I’m all right jack approach we have & until you are personally affected we don’t give a s**t.

It’s also worth adding that although our vacation rates started with one of the best rollouts in the world it’s now fallen behind big time. There are pockets of population with 50% vaccinate & overall it’s below 60% . Simple things like mandatory mask wearing in shops, public transportation should have been kept.
its all very we saying use your common sense but it’s not as common as you think it is.
yore decision not to protect yourself may b fine for you but could cost someone else their life .
Covid passports on a temporary basis, say for the winter would have boosted vaccination rates.
As it stands it’s the I’m all right jack approach we have & until you are personally affected we don’t give a s**t.
We are outliers with our lack of restrictions and careless government approach, and we have several times as many daily infections as most of Europe. I don’t understand why people accept that, nearly a thousand people dying a week and 40K new cases a day - that’s not ‘living with it’ or ‘getting on with things’.

And there's your problem. If the government tell you to act as if it's over people will think it's over. You then end up having significantly higher hospitalisations and deaths than comparable countries in Europe (Spain, France, Italy, Germany).

Anyway better six feet apart than six feet under eh.

View attachment 7321View attachment 7322

Well it’s not my problem. She had covid despite double vac and got well and came back to work after the self isolation period . And I sit near her and double vaxed.
For whatever reasons she caught it and I haven’t (yet).

Regarding the huge amount of testing we’re doing compared to say Germany which then creates this “Covid Dead Pool”. Would it not be the case that we are testing more because we have more cases in the population than Germany?

I’m sure if the infection was as widespread in Germany they’d have the capacity to deliver a much higher number of tests and subsequently have a similarly large Covid Dead Pool.

Less infection in the population = less people requiring test = smaller Covid Death Pool = less Covid deaths.

Dunno if that’s correct but it seems fairly plausible way of looking at it.

• React
Reactions: m
Regarding the huge amount of testing we’re doing compared to say Germany which then creates this “Covid Dead Pool”. Would it not be the case that we are testing more because we have more cases in the population than Germany?

I’m sure if the infection was as widespread in Germany they’d have the capacity to deliver a much higher number of tests and subsequently have a similarly large Covid Dead Pool.

Less infection in the population = less people requiring test = smaller Covid Death Pool = less Covid deaths.

Dunno if that’s correct but it seems fairly plausible way of looking at it.

Germany have stopped free LFT`s in the community.
So people won`t bother testing, will spread C-19 to others but there will be no high volume case count as we have.
They should still be doing PCR/Hospital testing but those numbers will be far lower.

Are they "cooking the numbers" and going for a silent herd immunity? Dunno.......

As per the Spanish example each country has differing rules, differing social responsibility, different population density, different cultures etc etc.

PS: I would be 100% in favour of the Spanish model regarding masks - Aged over 6? Put a mask on indoors with others. Period. No "exemptions".

Germany have stopped free LFT`s in the community.
So people won`t bother testing, will spread C-19 to others but there will be no high volume case count as we have.
They should still be doing PCR/Hospital testing but those numbers will be far lower.

Are they "cooking the numbers" and going for a silent herd immunity? Dunno.......

As per the Spanish example each country has differing rules, differing social responsibility, different population density, different cultures etc etc.

PS: I would be 100% in favour of the Spanish model regarding masks - Aged over 6? Put a mask on indoors with others. Period. No "exemptions".
A few weeks ago I probably would’ve argued against your ps but as I sit at the far end of the room from my 7 and 12 year old Covid positive sons I would agree with you now. I am a stats man and have noticed a 60% or so rise in cases in the county in a week.

A few weeks ago I probably would’ve argued against your ps but as I sit at the far end of the room from my 7 and 12 year old Covid positive sons I would agree with you now. I am a stats man and have noticed a 60% or so rise in cases in the county in a week.
@Essexyellows has been pretty up to date with the stats, tragically people are now not wearing masks as often as they did and that is down to the government being a bit lapse daisy over self care.

Relying on 'common sense' is sadly not going well as a policy.

@Essexyellows has been pretty up to date with the stats, tragically people are now not wearing masks as often as they did and that is down to the government being a bit lapse daisy over self care.

Relying on people being socially responsible eh?

Time to launch Plan B?
  • a. Communicating clearly and urgently to the public that the level of risk has increased, and with it the need to behave more cautiously.
  • b. Introducing mandatory vaccine-only COVID-status certification in certain settings.
  • c. Legally mandating face coverings in certain settings.
Current situation.......
FB62Y5GWYAIwnGX

Being jabbed should not change your behaviour.... Hands - Face - Space.

Time to launch Plan B?
  • a. Communicating clearly and urgently to the public that the level of risk has increased, and with it the need to behave more cautiously.
  • b. Introducing mandatory vaccine-only COVID-status certification in certain settings.
Current situation.......
FB62Y5GWYAIwnGX

that the level of risk has increased

Because of Plan A!!!

Couldn't make it up.

Time to launch Plan B?
Current situation.......
FB62Y5GWYAIwnGX

Hands was pretty much debunked several months ago. Isn’t it all about airborne transmission ?

If only we had an expert to tell us.

The ‘common sense’ approach to governing really should be a national scandal.

The only reason that we have a government or a parliamentary system full stop is because we need rules. Law and order is essential to any functioning society. We as a species created the very idea of government and subsequently adopted it on a global scale because without it nothing works. People fundamentally need to be told what to do, otherwise it’s chaos and anarchy. Even tribes have hierarchies, just as animals do. Which is why it’s been so incredible to see such a large chunk of the country think it’s been acceptable that during the worst health crisis of our lifetime, the main way of managing it has been for the people supposedly in charge to shrug and go, “Look, just do what you want, it’s on you if it goes wrong, it’s nothing to do with us really you big idiots.”

Politicians literally only exist (and are given tremendous reward and privilege in return, I might add) because we cannot function without the laws, advice and guidance that they provide. Their duty is to protect us. That is literally all they are there to do. A member of Parliament not serving and protecting the people is like a cleaner refusing to touch a mop, and walking mud all over the floors instead before having a slash on the wall. Imagine a game of football where the ref and the linesmen never give a single foul or enforce the rules of the game, and say it’s up to the players and the crowd to use their initiative to decide what’s what. Enforcing the rules is their whole reason for existing. Sometimes we need to be told what we can or can’t do along with a threat of punishment in order to prevent us harming others, and sometimes we need to be told what we should or shouldn’t do for the sake of a better outcome for ourselves. Sometimes it’s enforcement, sometimes it’s advisement.

What we never, ever, under any circumstances should expect is to be shrugged at and told that it’s all our fault if we get something wrong, especially when we don’t even really know what it is that we’re dealing with. It’s like watching parents tell a child that it’s up to them to decide if drinking bleach is safe or not - the child has no way of knowing. It doesn’t know what the adult knows in terms of the bleach being a threat, all it sees is some liquid in a glass. It learns what it is and what not to do with it from the parent. That’s why it’s up to the adult to go, “You can’t drink that, you’ll die.” If they let the kid make the call and it downed the bleach they’d be banged up, but for some reason a lot of people have been quite keen to blame the kid instead once the government is the one assuming the role of the parent. We don’t know what this is - we’ve never had to tackle it before. That’s why they need to earn their crust, use all their resources (that we pay for, don’t forget) in terms of scientists, doctors, emergency services and whatever else, and communicate clearly and concisely exactly what it is that we need to do to stay safe as best they can. That’s their job and they don’t get to just walk away from that. It’s insane to me that anybody could ever have backed them up when they shrugged and basically went, “We really don’t care, sort it out yourselves, are you thick or something?”

It doesn’t matter which individual, which party, which whoever or whatever is in charge, it really shouldn’t have happened. Imagine a football manager refusing to pick the team, the formation or the tactics, saying it’s up to the players to use their own common sense to decide it all between themselves, and then standing in the technical area not even watching the game. Nobody would find it acceptable. They have to make the decisions - sometimes they’ll be right, sometimes they’ll be wrong, and they’ll never be liked by absolutely everybody. They’ll be praised and/or criticised week after week, and they’ll ultimately be judged on the results. That’s how it is. That’s what they’re paid for. That’s the job.

Sometimes it’s fine to let people learn the hard way. We’ve probably all watched a kid keep trying to touch the flame on a candle despite being warned that it’s hot before going, “Watch this. Wait for the face. They won’t do it again.” They’re not in any real danger, they’ll just look really shocked and maybe cry for 20 seconds worst case scenario, and then everybody moves on with a funny story to embarrass them with. Letting 60-odd million people do pretty much whatever they want while a deadly virus is on the loose, and saying it’s their own damn fault if they help to kill people, is a bit more serious than that.

Why they’ve gotten away with their approach this long I honestly do not know. Hopefully more people will finally start to realise how positively outrageous it was.

Back
Top Bottom