International News Covid-19 .....

Had my second jab at the stadium this morning. Dead. No wonder I was able to move my appointment so easily. First jab in late May there were long lines stretching right along the South Stand and past the ticket office windows, one for first doses and one for second, but today there was just a table next to the reception door and only one person in front of me. Got asked which jab I wanted as they have both, straight up the stairs, waiting area probably about a quarter full. Eight weeks ago it was rammed.

Asked the woman administering my vaccine what was going on and she said it’s been getting quieter and quieter for a number of weeks. Seems that the closer we’ve gotten to ‘Freedom Day’ the less people are bothering with actually getting a second dose. Perhaps the psychological impact of blowing the door off the hinges before everybody is double jabbed is beginning to show in the numbers. Maybe people are adopting a mentality of, “Why bother? It can’t be unsafe anymore if they’re letting me go clubbing at the weekend. I’ve had one jab anyway, that’ll probably do.”

Given the many, many millions of people who still need their second dose, and the fact that you have to also book your second appointment when you book your first, it was very curious to see such a low turnout and to be told that this is now the norm, at least for that particular vaccination centre. I hope that this isn’t a behavioural oversight.

Either way, got my vaccine sticker 😎

My highlight of freedom day so far is walking into a petrol station to look at the two people in front of me in the queue wearing face masks but around there necks, as if they were not quite ready to stop wearing them yet. I will go for a pint tonight just for the novelty of buying one at the bar but my local is never busy at the weekends so it is probably safer than being around my secondary school little un.

Had my second jab at the stadium this morning. Dead. No wonder I was able to move my appointment so easily. First jab in late May there were long lines stretching right along the South Stand and past the ticket office windows, one for first doses and one for second, but today there was just a table next to the reception door and only one person in front of me. Got asked which jab I wanted as they have both, straight up the stairs, waiting area probably about a quarter full. Eight weeks ago it was rammed.

Asked the woman administering my vaccine what was going on and she said it’s been getting quieter and quieter for a number of weeks. Seems that the closer we’ve gotten to ‘Freedom Day’ the less people are bothering with actually getting a second dose. Perhaps the psychological impact of blowing the door off the hinges before everybody is double jabbed is beginning to show in the numbers. Maybe people are adopting a mentality of, “Why bother? It can’t be unsafe anymore if they’re letting me go clubbing at the weekend. I’ve had one jab anyway, that’ll probably do.”

Given the many, many millions of people who still need their second dose, and the fact that you have to also book your second appointment when you book your first, it was very curious to see such a low turnout and to be told that this is now the norm, at least for that particular vaccination centre. I hope that this isn’t a behavioural oversight.

I'm also guessing that modelling on infection rates, hospitalisations and deaths was probably based on the rate of vaccination continuing and therefore more people being protected. So 2000,000 a day might be an accepted number for infections, but surely less going for second (or any) jabs is going to potentially increase the hospitalisation and death rates quite a bit.

Not to mention I am hearing of more and more double-jabbed people getting pretty sick from Covid, so even if you are fully protected, you stand a chance of feeling pretty crap if you are unlucky enough to get it, not to mention how complicating issues might impact on that.

But hey, lets all celebrate "blowing the bloody doors off" day along with the unerring ability of the Great British public to do the right thing for their fellow citizens through their unrivaled sense of duty.

Is it not due to the fact that now they are giving out only 2nd doses whereas in May there were people going for both 1st and 2nd?
I had my 1st in February and it was quiet, no queue, straight in. When I went in May there were 2 queues, as both 1st and 2nd doses were being given.

Is it not due to the fact that now they are giving out only 2nd doses whereas in May there were people going for both 1st and 2nd?
I had my 1st in February and it was quiet, no queue, straight in. When I went in May there were 2 queues, as both 1st and 2nd doses were being given.
To a point you would obviously expect a drop-off as first doses essentially stop, but not to this extent. It was too far the other way - we still have over ten million second doses to rattle through. If it was half as busy as before that would make sense, but this was a relative ghost town. It shouldn’t be as quiet as it was, and the woman who gave me my jab certainly wasn’t of the opinion that the numbers were what she had expected. I just hope that everybody who got the first dose gets the second and that people aren’t losing interest.

maybe as theres a spike in infection in Oxford many are self-isolating atm?

or maybe, as its 'freedom day' , many are out partying all day , and night- or enjoying the warm weather?

Went to my local co-op to grab some lunch, was pleasantly surprised that everyone in the shop was masked up, although the lady on the till pulled hers down on occasion for fresh air which is to be expected in this heat. She did tell me they'd had one dickhead (her words, not mine) who practically yelled at her saying "it's freedom day, why the f**k are you still wearing a mask". Unfortunately, the world is full of idiots. And it's the trust being put in said idiots that puts us most at risk.

To a point you would obviously expect a drop-off as first doses essentially stop, but not to this extent. It was too far the other way - we still have over ten million second doses to rattle through. If it was half as busy as before that would make sense, but this was a relative ghost town. It shouldn’t be as quiet as it was, and the woman who gave me my jab certainly wasn’t of the opinion that the numbers were what she had expected. I just hope that everybody who got the first dose gets the second and that people aren’t losing interest.
When I went for my first jab in June right at the start of the 25-29 group which had a ridiculous uptake, it was a little busy but I was still in and out within 30 minutes including my 15 minute wait after. A part of it could be just down to the system running faster on average with the people running the centres and the nurses administering the vaccine mastering what they're doing and able to do it much quicker. Concerning if there is a genuine lack of interest, although I'd like to think the youngsters will be chomping at the bit for jab 2 as they were with jab 1 so hopefully the numbers make their way back up.

maybe as theres a spike in infection in Oxford many are self-isolating atm?

or maybe, as its 'freedom day' , many are out partying all day , and night- or enjoying the warm weather?
That the woman said it’s been going down and and down for weeks on end suggests there’s a fundamental flaw somewhere. It wasn’t just today, she said it’s been on the dip for a while. Is it people losing interest? Is it just a bit of an anomaly specific to this one centre?

A look at the latest vaccination tables also makes interesting reading. All those countries we were screaming about being way ahead of for months on end are suddenly on our tails. Have they taken their time and developed a more effective rollout? Are we slowing down due to people not being as fussed about sticking with it? Bit of both?

I had my first jab at the Kassam over a month ago and it was a very good set up. I was in and out after 45 minutes.

I've got my second one in a months time at the stadium again but I expect it could take longer as I'm quite tall so there's a chance Robbo may want me to fill in for 90 minutes at centre back first.

From today I can go to the swimming pool at my sports park without having to pre-book a 45 minute session starting at inconvenient times, where the lunch hour slots were neary always booked out. Getting the timing wrong meant that if you were late your session would be shorter still.
Turned up around 1pm today, 4 people in the whole of the deep section of the pool during the time I was there.
No requirement anymore to wear a mask whilst moving from reception down a wide corridor to the changing cubicles.
All of the lockers now available (previously only about 1 in 4 were, possibly being cleaned between the 45 minute sessions).
Also shower cubicles now available compared to the mixed communal showers.

Pleased to see that the odious Katie Hopkins will be deported from Australia:

Controversial British commentator Katie Hopkins will be deported from Australia for bragging about flouting hotel quarantine rules, says the government.
Ms Hopkins - who has often drawn anger for racist remarks - had entered the country to star in TV show Big Brother Australia.
On Friday she posted a video from her Sydney hotel room where she joked about putting frontline staff at risk.
Her comments sparked widespread condemnation.
In the video, Ms Hopkins said she planned to "lie in wait" for workers to deliver food to her room so she could open the door "naked with no face mask".
She also called lockdowns the "greatest hoax in human history". Australia's two biggest cities, Sydney and Melbourne, are both in lockdown.
Can we not let her back into the UK

Had my first jab middle of May and then was text after 6 weeks to say I could get my next lot of Pfizer the following week (which I did). In May it was busy in Abingdon with people queuing but for the second one I just walked in, although there were plenty of people sat for their 15 mins before being allowed home.

I do know a few 30 & 40 year olds with kids who have either caught covid or are self isolating and have now missed their appointments or have to delay them 28 days. There definitely seems to be a bit of a drop off though. It floored my friend who's late 30s, fit runner etc. he's only just started walking around the house after 10 days. He's already booked his second one to get it ASAP.

Pleased to see that the odious Katie Hopkins will be deported from Australia:

Controversial British commentator Katie Hopkins will be deported from Australia for bragging about flouting hotel quarantine rules, says the government.
Ms Hopkins - who has often drawn anger for racist remarks - had entered the country to star in TV show Big Brother Australia.
On Friday she posted a video from her Sydney hotel room where she joked about putting frontline staff at risk.
Her comments sparked widespread condemnation.
In the video, Ms Hopkins said she planned to "lie in wait" for workers to deliver food to her room so she could open the door "naked with no face mask".
She also called lockdowns the "greatest hoax in human history". Australia's two biggest cities, Sydney and Melbourne, are both in lockdown.

Katie Hopkins. What you end up with if Hermione had got into Slytherin..

I'm sure there'll be an upcoming vacancy at GB News for the odious Katie Hopkins - they now seem to be heading in that direction.

Make the best of it, get to as many matches as you can, we will all be back in full lock down by the end of September after that braindead BOJO let everything go. More interested in getting the economy up and running again than killing off the population

Make the best of it, get to as many matches as you can, we will all be back in full lock down by the end of September after that braindead BOJO let everything go. More interested in getting the economy up and running again than killing off the population
Hallo R

That the woman said it’s been going down and and down for weeks on end suggests there’s a fundamental flaw somewhere. It wasn’t just today, she said it’s been on the dip for a while. Is it people losing interest? Is it just a bit of an anomaly specific to this one centre?

A look at the latest vaccination tables also makes interesting reading. All those countries we were screaming about being way ahead of for months on end are suddenly on our tails. Have they taken their time and developed a more effective rollout? Are we slowing down due to people not being as fussed about sticking with it? Bit of both?
All (most) oldies have been double vaccinated ...Young uns not so bothered about getting jabbed?

Back
Top Bottom