International News Covid-19 .....

rather pleased I got my NHS covid (2 jabs official confirmation) paper passport back in May ....

I have been double jabbed but, In my view Freedom day is one of the biggest gambles our Government has taken so far.

Daily average 40k (Confirmed cases)
Hospital admissions increasing.

So take your masks off, forget social distancing and go to a night club.
What could possibly go wrong, oh, and those double jabbed can contract and pass on the virus.

I have been double jabbed but, In my view Freedom day is one of the biggest gambles our Government has taken so far.

Daily average 40k (Confirmed cases)
Hospital admissions increasing.

So take your masks off, forget social distancing and go to a night club.
What could possibly go wrong, oh, and those double jabbed can contract and pass on the virus.

A sizable amount of my work was, (& hopefully is going to be) in 'clubs .... or in a 'club (type of) environment ..... I got my NHS ( 2 jab confirmation) paper passport as soon as I was eligible to apply ( 5 days, or more, after having 2nd dose of vaccination)..... several promoters Ive worked for advised , back in May this year, that there was a likelihood of a requirement for a 'covid passport' for clubs , live music events and also some sports events following the easing of restrictions, as well as possibly pubs too

All (most) oldies have been double vaccinated ...Young uns not so bothered about getting jabbed?
I hope not, but I am concerned that everything opening up to the point that you can go clubbing has possibly made a not insignificant number of people go, “Why do I need to bother? Clearly this is all over now.”

You would assume that today’s announcement that if you don’t have a ‘passport’ to prove you’ve had both jabs, that you can’t do things like go to clubs, indoor gigs, large scale events etc as of the end of September, may have been made with this issue in mind. It’s certainly a far cry from the government saying several months ago that such a passport could never happen, as it would be discriminatory:

Something has definitely forced them into this latest u-turn. There could well be something in people sacking off second jabs.

Last edited:
60000 odd at two Wembley matches, Wimbledon, 140000 at Silverstone yesterday, crazy scenes at nightclubs at midnight, thats all fine, BOJO doesnt care, the NHS will cope, only dont tell two of my daughters who have been working their socks off since it started, also not allowed to watch the kids sports days because of the cut off date.

And as the author of this article (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/19/i-work-in-an-nhs-covid-ward-and-i-feel-so-angry) so eloquently puts it, it's not necessarily all about Covid but the other respiratory viruses that will flourish in a population with relatively depressed immunity because of the measures of the last 18 months. The cumulative effect will be hard on front line NHS staff with hard decisions on ventilation capacity ahead for an already exhausted and demoralised workforce.

Let's not pretend that data is driving any of these decisions and any modelling should take into account the fact that there are enough selfish idiots to make the whole thing unravel.

Went into Tesco this evening, have to admit it was quite daunting I was wearing my mask but once inside it was apparent that a good % were not wearing one.

it's not necessarily all about Covid but the other respiratory viruses that will flourish in a population with relatively depressed immunity because of the measures of the last 18 months.

Not sure you are ever going to avoid this one… longer lockdown, even less immunity, catch 22

At what point do you say we have to move on? It’s a tough call.

Just hope that the vaccine will ensure the rise in hospitalisation and deaths in no way mirror the rise in cases, but I guess only time will tell. See where we are at the end of summer.

Had my second jab at the stadium this morning. Dead. No wonder I was able to move my appointment so easily. First jab in late May there were long lines stretching right along the South Stand and past the ticket office windows, one for first doses and one for second, but today there was just a table next to the reception door and only one person in front of me. Got asked which jab I wanted as they have both, straight up the stairs, waiting area probably about a quarter full. Eight weeks ago it was rammed.

Asked the woman administering my vaccine what was going on and she said it’s been getting quieter and quieter for a number of weeks. Seems that the closer we’ve gotten to ‘Freedom Day’ the less people are bothering with actually getting a second dose. Perhaps the psychological impact of blowing the door off the hinges before everybody is double jabbed is beginning to show in the numbers. Maybe people are adopting a mentality of, “Why bother? It can’t be unsafe anymore if they’re letting me go clubbing at the weekend. I’ve had one jab anyway, that’ll probably do.”

Given the many, many millions of people who still need their second dose, and the fact that you have to also book your second appointment when you book your first, it was very curious to see such a low turnout and to be told that this is now the norm, at least for that particular vaccination centre. I hope that this isn’t a behavioural oversight.

Either way, got my vaccine sticker [emoji41]

I’ll add something here. My daughter is 19 and works in the hospitality industry in Oxford. She, and everyone she knows of her age are desperate to get their two jabs. No qualms about it. She still wears a mask on the bus into town, and still wears a mask behind the bar and in front of customers. And isn’t planning to change that any time soon.

Here in Abingdon, I know for sure that the Brewery Tap isn’t planning to change any of its current procedures until probably September. So still the same rules. Table service, masks when not at the table. No bar service. Works for me. And works for the staff too.

I went to lidl today and everyone had a mask on
I thought the big supermarkets were going to keep the policy.

Tesco: So we’re encouraging our colleagues and you, our customers, to continue wearing face coverings if you can.

Surely they can enforce it!

I thought the big supermarkets were going to keep the policy.

Tesco: So we’re encouraging our colleagues and you, our customers, to continue wearing face coverings if you can.

Surely they can enforce it!

That’s a good question. Certainly most pubs can, as they are private businesses. Don’t like the rules? Tough.

If a pub wants to enforce those rules fair enough, personally I won’t go in one that does as there will be loads that just go back to normal and I prefer that so everyone can go in the one that suits them.

Went in a couple of shops in Wantage today and the vast majority were still wearing masks in shops.

Of those who weren't, the majority appeared to be under-30s, roughly equally split between male and female.

Not sure you are ever going to avoid this one… longer lockdown, even less immunity, catch 22

At what point do you say we have to move on? It’s a tough call.

Just hope that the vaccine will ensure the rise in hospitalisation and deaths in no way mirror the rise in cases, but I guess only time will tell. See where we are at the end of summer.
I know. And I do agree that at some point we ha e to open up. But probably not when infections are set to go as high as predicted (big old variant factories being created in the process) and when hospitalizations are doubling every 14 days. Maybe waiting at least until that had stabilised, the vaccine programme was further on and the NHS had better capacity to deal with the inevitable rise in other diseases (not to mention routine ops/procedured which will inevitably be postponed again) and the risk of more people becoming more I'll or dying because they are not seen promptly.

Small price to pay after we're come this far in my opinion.

But everything had to be open for the school hols, so here we are...

I’ll add something here. My daughter is 19 and works in the hospitality industry in Oxford. She, and everyone she knows of her age are desperate to get their two jabs. No qualms about it. She still wears a mask on the bus into town, and still wears a mask behind the bar and in front of customers. And isn’t planning to change that any time soon.

Here in Abingdon, I know for sure that the Brewery Tap isn’t planning to change any of its current procedures until probably September. So still the same rules. Table service, masks when not at the table. No bar service. Works for me. And works for the staff too.
I’m very glad that your daughter has her head screwed on, and that she is going to get both jabs.

Yes that’s good to know. It’s very tough on staff to have to deal with unmasked and unvaccinated people.

If a pub wants to enforce those rules fair enough, personally I won’t go in one that does as there will be loads that just go back to normal and I prefer that so everyone can go in the one that suits them.

That was my point exactly. Don’t like the rules? Tough. And the staff don’t want you there anyway.

Back
Top Bottom