International News Covid-19 .....

I thought the big supermarkets were going to keep the policy.

Tesco: So we’re encouraging our colleagues and you, our customers, to continue wearing face coverings if you can.

Surely they can enforce it!
That's the problem though - hospitality venues can probably have a good go at enforcing a mask policy if they wish, given that they directly control the flow of product.

However, I've seen staff in supermarkets and public transport verbally abused for trying to enforce the rules - they just aren't paid or valued enough to get into altercations as far as I'm concerned. I can fully understand staff taking a step backwards.

A quick peruse online yesterday would suggest that a number of the pubs in Abingdon (probably the majority) are continuing with the current set of rules and opting for table service, requesting the use of face masks inside and so on. A couple do say that you can order at the bar but have to return to your table and when at the bar must queue 1.5m apart. Seems a sensible approach. Personally speaking I've been a big fan of table service and tabs since it came in. Much quicker to get a drink, less hassle and I can sit catching up with friends instead of disappearing to the bar to fight for a round.

A quick peruse online yesterday would suggest that a number of the pubs in Abingdon (probably the majority) are continuing with the current set of rules and opting for table service, requesting the use of face masks inside and so on. A couple do say that you can order at the bar but have to return to your table and when at the bar must queue 1.5m apart. Seems a sensible approach. Personally speaking I've been a big fan of table service and tabs since it came in. Much quicker to get a drink, less hassle and I can sit catching up with friends instead of disappearing to the bar to fight for a round.
Living in Germany a fair few years ago got me used to table service and it seemed like chore going back to England and having to queue for beer. Much more civilised
(The problem in Germany though was that you could sit there sinking pils for a couple of hours not realising you’re arseholed until you stood up to go to the loo, and when it came to settling up you realised you didn’t have enough cash.)

Much prefer buying at the bar, I can make sure they are not spitting in my pint that way.

Crowds of over twenty thousand looking like they will require proof of being double jabbed from September this season apparently, which would throw up the anomaly of some (for whatever reason) being able to attend a home game one week but not Sunderland away/big cup draw etc the next.

Much prefer buying at the bar, I can make sure they are not spitting in my pint that way.

Crowds of over twenty thousand looking like they will require proof of being double jabbed from September this season apparently, which would throw up the anomaly of some (for whatever reason) being able to attend a home game one week but not Sunderland away/big cup draw etc the next.
What do you do when inside a pub which makes the bar staff spitting into your pint a constant threat? 🤔 😂

Eye watering numbers.

No way on earth that is coming down in the remainder of my life time.

Pity the next few generations.

What a mess.

It's just numbers on spreadsheets being moved around.

Once folk realise money doesn`t exist they will be far more at ease...... :)

It's just numbers on spreadsheets being moved around.

Once folk realise money doesn`t exist they will be far more at ease...... :)
No tax increase until after the election next year. State pension to rise by 8% ish first.

No tax increase until after the election next year. State pension to rise by 8% ish first.

Its an old paper but it is interesting that of the big three taxes:
--- a 1 percentage point rise in all rates of income tax would raise £5.5 billion;
--- a 1 percentage point rise in all employee and self-employed National Insurance contribution (NIC) rates would raise £4.9 billion; and
--- a 1 percentage point rise in the main rate of VAT would raise £5.2 billion.

Source: https://ifs.org.uk/uploads/gb/gb2015/ch10_gb2015.pdf

Probably changed a bit since but the relationship between taxation and the electoral cycle is consistent!

--- a 1 percentage point rise in all rates of income tax would raise £5.5 billion;
--- a 1 percentage point rise in all employee and self-employed National Insurance contribution (NIC) rates would raise £4.9 billion; and

Probably changed a bit since but the relationship between taxation and the electoral cycle is consistent!
Can we expect all manifestos to say guaranteed tax rises for all except those who can avoid them or we have no plans for tax rises at this time.

Or scrapping HS2 would avoid spending of £120bn over the next 20 years, so £6bn/yr

Eye watering numbers.

No way on earth that is coming down in the remainder of my life time.

Pity the next few generations.

What a mess.
As obvious statements go that headline is up there with bears' toiletory habits and the reglious tenancies of the pope.

The real question is will it be the rich/richer taxpayers or the poor/poorer taxpayers that pay the most proportional to their income?

As obvious statements go that headline is up there with bears' toiletory habits and the reglious tenancies of the pope.

The real question is will it be the rich/richer taxpayers or the poor/poorer taxpayers that pay the most proportional to their income?
Always the latter when the tories are in power!!

Back
Top Bottom