International News Covid-19 .....

So if I don't have COVID, what is the point then?
Given that you might not have any symptoms, unless you are being tested every day (and even then) you don't know if you have it or not.
The point is also - given that it reduces the likelihood the wearer spreading it - that wearing masks gives more confidence to *everyone* who is out and about, thus helping us to edge just a bit nearer to normal.

Absolutely! It's a precaution that when infections and deaths are very low, that seems to be an overkill, especially when it's not being forcefully applied.

It feels like the Govt had got the timing wrong having asked us to take a maximum risk when the virus was prevalent.
No idea why we weren't made to wear masks from the beginning as it would have saved lives. Surely it can only be because there would have been a shortage for key workers?

In shops i am seeing almost everyone wearing a mask now.

No idea why we weren't made to wear masks from the beginning as it would have saved lives. Surely it can only be because there would have been a shortage for key workers?

In shops i am seeing almost everyone wearing a mask now.
And I realised earlier, there was a big missed opportunity in even asking us to wear a face covering, such a scarf to do our bit when the virus was most prevalent in March/April - so not full on PPE but a step to prevent the spread. It is not a perfect solution, but at least would have felt more appropriate than now.

My local town had no COVID cases reported again last week, whereas larger cities still have an issue. I guess that is why it chaffs a bit

And I realised earlier, there was a big missed opportunity in even asking us to wear a face covering, such a scarf to do our bit when the virus was most prevalent in March/April - so not full on PPE but a step to prevent the spread. It is not a perfect solution, but at least would have felt more appropriate than now.

My local town had no COVID cases reported again last week, whereas larger cities still have an issue. I guess that is why it chaffs a bit

Back then virtual everyone was staying home as per the very clear message at the time...it was also said on numerous occasions by various so called experts that face masks would make little difference so it was odd to announce the wearing of them in shops etc.
That said anyone who feels uncomfortable wearing one or being in shops etc can simply shop online, the same as most did when it was at or near the peak.

There was me thinking that briefing the nation(s) during pandemic situation was in the PM job description :rolleyes: ..... oh well, whats the odds on a Tory party funder getting the gig on this un-necessary job appointment ( Cummings approved of course) ? :unsure:

Back then virtual everyone was staying home as per the very clear message at the time...it was also said on numerous occasions by various so called experts that face masks would make little difference so it was odd to announce the wearing of them in shops etc.
That said anyone who feels uncomfortable wearing one or being in shops etc can simply shop online, the same as most did when it was at or near the peak.
Totally. So why are face masks compulsory now but in some circumstances only? Feels like a bodge to me, but one I will happily go along with until such point they are no longer mandatory

This is an interesting update from the ONS:

In particular, the graph:
View attachment 4170
Perhaps the interesting part is how stable deaths from Influenza and Pnuemonia, but how they fell when COVID peaked in April.
Presumably because a small fraction of the covid deaths were of people who would have succumbed to flu if covid didn’t exist. Looks like quite a small proportion. It also looks a bit accentuated because of a small bump in flu deaths that coincided with the uptick in covid. I wonder if there could have been covid deaths misassigned to flu in the early days?

Presumably because a small fraction of the covid deaths were of people who would have succumbed to flu if covid didn’t exist. Looks like quite a small proportion. It also looks a bit accentuated because of a small bump in flu deaths that coincided with the uptick in covid. I wonder if there could have been covid deaths misassigned to flu in the early days?
Very possible, and why the Govt are looking at PHEs figures.

Is it also possible that COVID infections/deaths in nursing homes (as a example), caused an acceleration of death rates among those with lung conditions?

There was me thinking that briefing the nation(s) during pandemic situation was in the PM job description :rolleyes: ..... oh well, whats the odds on a Tory party funder getting the gig on this un-necessary job appointment ( Cummings approved of course) ? :unsure:

He obviously wants the rest of the week off on top of the weekend.

Tom Harwood, Chloe Westley or some other Tufton Street clown guaranteed, surely.

So let me get this straight.

He's got one person telling him what to say, and now wants another one to say it. Someone who (obviously) can't answer questions because he isn't the PM.
He is a 'big picture' politician who (in the words of a Tory MP on the radio last week) 'keeps his eyes on the horizon' and delegates all the practical details to others.

So if he doesn't set the policy, won't be communicating the policy and isn't involved with the details of the policy - what is the point of Boris Johnson?

More numbers.......... stop me if it gets dull... :)
8153 people in Leicestershire tested positive.
4883 of them are within the Leicester City Council area.
3270 are in the County.

UHL reported 4 deaths.... total stands at 437.

Back
Top Bottom