International News Covid-19 .....

Have those country’s counted people who were hit by buses but had Covid as deaths though? Or people who had massive strokes but were infected? Impossible to compare stats when they are not being done on the same basis.
I do agree that it is difficult to be sure on what basis each country is counting the figures - and of course there is a huge temptation for autocratic regimes to manipulate the figures to make themselves look good. I am not at all convinced by the figures from many countries! When this all comes out in the wash afterwards it will be the excess deaths over the seasonal (or maybe annual) norms that will show what the true figures are - the number of people who were hit by busses probably won't differ from normal, those who have died as a result of Covid (either directly or indirectly as a result of not being treated for something else because the hospitals were full) will then show up.

In the meantime though the figures announced by governments and public health systems in different countries are the best (the only?) figures we have to go on and although they won't be accurate or absolutely directly comparable at least they give an indication. The only alternative is to ignore the figures from everywhere (including here) as being unreliable and then you have no overview at all.

You are right to point out that caveat.

Last edited:
Nope. Our 7 day average is now 15th highest in the country. Overtaken Luton. 7 day average reflects recent trends and is the indicator of what's going on.
Our last 7 days we are on 22.7 cases per 100 000. National average is 7.5. Above 30 and in Germany they get worried. Luton are below us and they have delayed opening gyms etc. Not time to panic but we definitely need to watch this space.

The quarantine requirement for Travellers from Spain is the right thing to do - sucks for those in Spain on their hols but that was the risk anyone takes if they want a break away in the current situation. The Govt waiting, as some want, defeats the whole object of doing it in the first place.

Damned if they do, and damned if they don't?

Last edited:
The bans quarantine requirement for Travellers from Spain is the right thing to do - sucks for those in Spain on their hols but that was the risk anyone takes if they want a break away in the current situation. The Govt waiting, as some want, defeats the whole object of doing it in the first place.

I agree, the quarantine for Spain is right.

The quarantine requirement for Travellers from Spain is the right thing to do - sucks for those in Spain on their hols but that was the risk anyone takes if they want a break away in the current situation. The Govt waiting, as some want, defeats the whole object of doing it in the first place.

Spot on....

React too slowly.... react too quickly. It is always wrong in some people’s eyes.

I have to say that the Govt could do little else than react to the live data and made the right decision based on it on the Spain issue IMHO.

Just one person has been fined by police for breaching quarantine rules after arriving from abroad, new figures from forces in England and Wales revealed today (Source)

All talk, no trousers. It won't be enforced. As you were chaps!

Just one person has been fined by police for breaching quarantine rules after arriving from abroad, new figures from forces in England and Wales revealed today (Source)

All talk, no trousers. It won't be enforced. As you were chaps!
Just hope people as sensible then when out and about shopping that they use masks, whether the police enforce or not is another thing,

8084 people in Leicestershire have been tested positive.
4827 of them are within the Leicester City Council area.
3257 are in the County.
UHL reported no deaths.

All those poor diddums who can`t go to Malaga............ get over it. Greta is loving the clean environment!

PS: You have to isolate a whole country because we (people!) move around!!

Spot on....

React too slowly.... react too quickly. It is always wrong in some people’s eyes.
Totally agree, I know someone who comes back from Spain on Friday and they don't want to be quaratined but have no issue with the decision.

I'm not sure the Labour Party are doing themselves any favours taking issue with the decision, how is it "shambolic"? Its everything people have asked for, decisive and clear. They can tinker with regions later.

Totally agree, I know someone who comes back from Spain on Friday and they don't want to be quaratined but have no issue with the decision.

I'm not sure the Labour Party are doing themselves any favours taking issue with the decision, how is it "shambolic"? Its everything people have asked for, decisive and clear. They can tinker with regions later.

Just more of the usual political rubbish. Any lack of decisive action (which we have witnessed on many occasions during all of this) would have been met with an equal cry of “shambolic”

I have no issue with anyone who wants to take a holiday. But they should do so in the full knowledge that Covid has gone nowhere and this is still very much a dynamic situation, changing daily.

If you want to jump on a plane, you do so on the understanding that you could find yourself in lockdown overseas, having problems with cancelled flights or having to quarantine once home.

Anyone who has a problem with this needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

Back
Top Bottom