International News Covid-19 .....

View attachment 3593

I do struggle to accept why we are still seeing these images when I have completely avoided friends and family over the past 6-7 weeks.
I can't believe that 150 people need to travel from Ireland to London urgently. I haven't left Bicester for over 7 weeks, let alone needed to fly anywhere. Why are flights continuing?

I can't believe that 150 people need to travel from Ireland to London urgently. I haven't left Bicester for over 7 weeks, let alone needed to fly anywhere. Why are flights continuing?
I think you might find they are more important people that you or I. ??

I think you might find they are more important people that you or I. ??
Imortant in their own mind I guess. Video conferencing is quite easy these days. But with our wishy-washy rules, even Piers Morgan is apparently important...

Yeah.. dropped a bollock there didn’t he. Bad form to use that phrase.

Regardless of the current situation this is still politics... Those in power will spin the positive, those in opposition will spin the negative.

At the end of the day we all can see this is not great and there has been good and bad coming out of this.

I really can’t see anything good about the medical side of the government response. Obviously the work of the NHS on the ground has been good as far as I know. And people have been pretty decent for the most part.

Tell me about the other areas of government good practice.

I’m told the system for payment for companies going on furlough been really good and the council refund of business rates friend was telling me has incredibly efficient, in his area anyway.

Heathrow Airport. LOCK. IT. DOWN. FFS.

I really can’t see anything good about the medical side of the government response. Obviously the work of the NHS on the ground has been good as far as I know. And people have been pretty decent for the most part.

Tell me about the other areas of government good practice.

I’m told the system for payment for companies going on furlough been really good and the council refund of business rates friend was telling me has incredibly efficient, in his area anyway.

You have pretty much mentioned it.

NHS and the response of the public in general.

The set up of the furlough scheme and payments to employers in record time has been excellent.

The SEISS goes live in a couple of weeks and so far communication from HMRC has been excellent.

The Rates grant has again been efficient (for the most part)

Not so great on the BBL, CBIL because the banks are involved. Banks will be banks unfortunately.

I would add the time to get the Nightingale hospitals operational was impressive.

A lot of work and investment going into the vaccine too.

I know there is a lot of bad stuff too, don’t get me wrong. But we do need to look at the good stuff also.

Last edited:
I reheard those figures I mentioned earlier about flights. It was so unbelievable, I had to double check.

The number of people who arrived at UK airports since this was declared a health emergency? Have a guess.

18 million. No, I didn't believe it either, but apparently correct. (I still can't get my head around that figure -can someone else check it as well?)
From anywhere and everywhere, including China - who were right in the throes of it. Got off the planes, onto public transport and away. No health checks.

And how many of them were quarantined? Have another guess.

300 - the ones who came directly from Wuhan.

Blimey. :(

• Wow
Reactions: QR
I reheard those figures I mentioned earlier about flights. It was so unbelievable, I had to double check.

The number of people who arrived at UK airports since this was declared a health emergency? Have a guess.

18 million. No, I didn't believe it either, but apparently correct. (I still can't get my head around that figure -can someone else check it as well?)
From anywhere and everywhere, including China - who were right in the throes of it. Got off the planes, onto public transport and away. No health checks.

It is extraordinary, but so many of the bright young project managers and IT people where I work, and all the girls in the canteen, are from Europe and will no doubt go and see their mum a few times a year - not to mention all the holidays and business travel.

And there are many other scenarios. NFC could a decent alternative, but I guess Bluetooth is more prominently implemented technology wise,
As someone who has to use one device to scan another via NFC dozens of times every day at work, all I can say is that if you are getting close enough to someone to register a mobile ping via NFC, they damn well better be your wife!

The figure quoted, 18 million, where has that come from? If, as I think it is, that represents the number of passengers arriving on flights landing at Heathrow, not necessarily passengers disembarking and exiting Heathrow. Quite a few will be onward transit and that may well include the same passengers/crew making repeat arrivals. If someone were to say that in a 3 (?) month period an additional 18 million people arrived and took up residence in this country, there might be an issue with immigration!

And I see we continue to 'ramp up' testing from 122,000 (sic) on 30th April to 84.806 today.

You can only be tested if you are symptomatic or living with someone who is therefore, if social distancing works, there are fewer symptomatic people to be tested. That is today`s lesson in rocket science.
What do you want? The Army forcibly swabbing people in their homes just to reach a random number?
Whilst you may wish to criticise the Government at least think first eh?

• React
Reactions: QR
The figure quoted, 18 million, where has that come from? If, as I think it is, that represents the number of passengers arriving on flights landing at Heathrow, not necessarily passengers disembarking and exiting Heathrow. Quite a few will be onward transit and that may well include the same passengers/crew making repeat arrivals. If someone were to say that in a 3 (?) month period an additional 18 million people arrived and took up residence in this country, there might be an issue with immigration!

Those transiting thru Heathrow will still potentially be bringing COVID-19 to Blighty and interacting with those who will exit the airport (fellow passengers and airport staff).

SHUT. IT. DOWN!

According to stuff landing in the mailbox with monotonous regularity.....

"Since this is an RNA virus, it will continue to mutate as long as it continues to circulate in humans. Additional mutations as the virus adapts to the human host may make the virus less severe or more severe, or less or more efficient in spreading."

On a positive note the global economic crisis it may cause will make Greta happy as less "stuff" is made & shipped around the world, fewer folk flying about to places, few less people on the planet.......... its a winner!
?

Picked this one out for @YellowTaxi ................. posted a few days after "Snuffle Gate".............. there are more, but I don`t wish to highlight your frothing left wing biased inability to learn or understand context. ;) :):)

Back
Top Bottom