International News Covid-19 .....

You can only be tested if you are symptomatic or living with someone who is therefore, if social distancing works, there are fewer symptomatic people to be tested. That is today`s lesson in rocket science.
What do you want? The Army forcibly swabbing people in their homes just to reach a random number?
Whilst you may wish to criticise the Government at least think first eh?
Really?? According to Emily Maitlis on Newsnight last night residents and staff in care homes are eligible for tests, are begging for them, were promised them by Hancock last week but can't get them. Is it because they aren't rocket scientists?

Really?? According to Emily Maitlis on Newsnight last night residents and staff in care homes are eligible for tests, are begging for them, were promised them by Hancock last week but can't get them. Is it because they aren't rocket scientists?

Testing people who are not showing symptoms is, frankly, a waste of a swab.

The chances of picking up an asymptomatic care worker are probably lower than 50%.

There is a handy phrase on the Gov.uk website for the non-rocket scientists..............

"This means anyone in one of these groups can find out whether they have the virus. Testing is most effective within 3 days of symptoms developing. "

Testing people who are not showing symptoms is, frankly, a waste of a swab.
A) that's not the same point you raised.

B) If your new point is so (and I ain't saying it ain't - I'm no expert) why is the government promising to 'waste' (your words) swabs when supply is such an issue?

Picked this one out for @YellowTaxi ................. posted a few days after "Snuffle Gate".............. there are more, but I don`t wish to highlight your frothing left wing biased inability to learn or understand context. ;) :):)
Thanks @Essexyellows in this case the context is that you began a thread about the biggest health pandemic since the 1919 influenza with a post saying
Why all the fuss?

Thousands die from Flu, thousands die from knife & gun crime yet the world is slipping into overdrive for a bit of a snuffle*!

And its creating far too much work for me!! ?

*unless you have underlying health issues or are old.

Looking back after almost 30, 000 deaths in the UK, do you think that was a bit irresponsible?

Can you point to the post where you said, unequivocally, "I was wrong, and this is really serious". If so I'd love to see it, and as soon as I'm made aware of that post or you post something similar I will no longer mention how you began this thread.

Like the government you rate so highly, when criticised you seem to attack the messenger, rather than taking responsibility.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks @Essexyellows in this case the context is that you began a thread about the biggest health pandemic since the 1919 influenza with a post saying

Looking back after almost 30, 000 deaths in the UK, do you think that was a bit irresponsible?

Can you point to the post where you said, unequivocally, "I was wrong, and this is really serious". If so I'd love to see it, and as soon as I'm made aware of that post or you post something similar I will no longer mention how you began this thread.

Like the government you rate so highly, when criticised you seem to attack the messenger, rather than taking responsibility.

No I won`t say I was wrong and this is really serious.

It is a novel virus with no treatment or vaccine. That`s nature for you.

If you refer to my opening post you may notice it is a clinical trial "fast tracked" by the WHO, that trial was left "sleeping" after the last pandemic, Swine Flu 2009.
The estimates of deaths caused by H1N1 is anywhere between 150k to 600k but without specific testing nobody really knows.
Why was it left sleeping? Because that is what the global health community expected "next", a relatively mild flu.

Looking at this from a broader view the world prepared for a flu pandemic and got something far more agile, infective and dangerous.
The world is currently at 258k deaths directly attributed to Cov-19, hey our recording got better in the last 11 years.

That is still only "mid point" for H1N1 deaths.

As the majority of scientists say you get a true picture when it is over, not half way through.

No I won`t say I was wrong and this is really serious.

It is a novel virus with no treatment or vaccine. That`s nature for you.

If you refer to my opening post you may notice it is a clinical trial "fast tracked" by the WHO, that trial was left "sleeping" after the last pandemic, Swine Flu 2009.
The estimates of deaths caused by H1N1 is anywhere between 150k to 600k but without specific testing nobody really knows.
Why was it left sleeping? Because that is what the global health community expected "next", a relatively mild flu.

Looking at this from a broader view the world prepared for a flu pandemic and got something far more agile, infective and dangerous.
The world is currently at 258k deaths directly attributed to Cov-19, hey our recording got better in the last 11 years.

That is still only "mid point" for H1N1 deaths.

As the majority of scientists say you get a true picture when it is over, not half way through.
Unless you are YellowTaxi. The man that thought Corbyn is a great leader and the one who constantly and personally attacks the messenger in other threads when he runs out of stuff to say and has to lash out like a toddler! You know you've made it on here when you get late night posts to you based on far left Tweets quoting left wing newspapers or their own blog!

It's almost like they are sat bored in a Convent in Ireland....

As for YellowTaxi, in January and February, we knew very little about the disease and the rosy picture from China hindered our efforts - hindsight says we should have done more, but hindsight also says that allowing WHO to be infiltrated by Chinese money/influence was the biggest mistake. If China had been honest....

The Govt could have been better, but does the mean the science led process show that the scientists also got it badly wrong? I am not seeking to blame them, but a lot of people were less than perfect, and do you know what? Human.

It's easy to sit outside a process and nitpick at how people perform in a high pressure environment with little precedent to lean on, especially when you have nothing better to do and axes to grind.

The death rate in the UK is four times what it is in Germany, despite the fact that we had more time to prepare and we have roiughly had the same number of cases

That's over 20, 000 dead. At least two of those are friends of mine

If you think pointing that out is "nit-picking" then you've got serious problems.

meanwhile I'm not surprised that @Essexyellows is unable to apologise or admit he's wrong. That attitude has a lot to do with where the country is at the moment. If you only read your own bullshit then that's all you ever know.

Last edited:
Yep, me and my factual bullshit. I`ll just e-mail the WHO and say they were wrong to expect a flu pandemic as @YellowTaxi says it was the "wrong attitude".

Can I reference your work or clinical qualifications in the matter? They seem to have passed me by....................

18 million is the total number of passengers processed in all UK airports in February 2020, which is the last complete data set.

Data is incomplete for March, but raw data for Heathrow shows a drop of over 50% in passenger numbers year on year - all data freely available from the CAA

Thanks. So actually that number isn't correct as in February and March there were likely to have been over 25 million people flying in and out of the UK's airports.Wow.

Actually that March percentage of 50% is even more gob-smacking for me - amazing that 50% of passengers were still flying and mixing at airports. It makes Cheltenham look like very small beer indeed.

The Govt could have been better, but does the mean the science led process show that the scientists also got it badly wrong? I am not seeking to blame them, but a lot of people were less than perfect, and do you know what? Human.

This has come up a few times and is worth comment.

The scientists only 'got it wrong' if the government followed their recommendations to the letter. Does anyone think for a second this would have been the case?

And rightly so. The scientists can advise on virus containment but the government has social and economic considerations which are, perhaps, equally important.

At the end of the day, loads of countries screamed at us for weeks to get inside while we could. We responded by flicking them the V’s, going to the races, refusing to shut the pubs while the PM strutted around boasting about how he wasn’t scared of it, and never even tightened the border of our island nation let alone closed it. We now have the most recorded deaths in the whole of Europe - second in the world overall - despite all the advantages we had and the opportunities we were given to prepare as other countries fell before us.

I’m not bothered whose ‘fault’ this stuff is / was anymore, be it government or scientists or a bit of both. I’m just saying it’s irrefutable to suggest anything other than we as a nation completely dropped the ball. Everybody’s kitchen caught fire - that isn’t the issue here. But we let it spread all the way up to the loft while many others managed to contain it to the downstairs, and we did it while sitting on the sofa with a cuppa while turning up the telly so we didn’t have to listen to them shouting.

Sometimes you don’t need statistics, you just need to look at the charring on the walls of every room to see that something went badly wrong.

Last edited:
I’m not bothered whose ‘fault’ this stuff is / was anymore, be it government or scientists or a bit of both. I’m just saying it’s irrefutable to suggest anything other than we as a nation completely dropped the ball. Everybody’s kitchen caught fire - that isn’t the issue here. But we let it spread all the way up to the loft while many others managed to contain it to the downstairs, and we did it while sitting on the sofa with a cuppa while turning up the telly so we didn’t have to listen to them shouting.

Sometimes you don’t need statistics, you just need to look at the charting on the walls of every room to see that something went badly wrong.

Fair assessment that, I have to say.

At the end of the day, loads of countries screamed at us for weeks to get inside while we could. We responded by flicking them the V’s, going to the races, refusing to shut the pubs while the PM strutted around boasting about how he wasn’t scared of it, and never even tightened the border of our island nation let alone closed it. We now have the most recorded deaths in the whole of Europe - second in the world overall - despite all the advantages we had and the opportunities we were given to prepare as other countries fell before us.
I wrote on here a few days ago that I didn't think it appropriate, at a time when thousands were dying, to politically point score. I've changed my mind. The more I think about Boris glibly dismissing the impending crisis and seeming to be actually proud of maximising flesh on flesh contact with all and sundry, the angrier I get.

Boris is a Tory with Tory principles of promoting personal freedom and minimising state interference. That makes this political and Boris should feel ashamed. The NHS that his party machine has been decimating for a decade (yes, it has) was called on to save his life. I really hope his experience proves to be a reawakening for him and that, going forward, the NHS - and the whole care sector - is treated by his government as an absolute priority.

Back
Top Bottom