FA Cup Coventry vs Man Utd

How many games have Coventry had VAR involved this season? One? It's ruined one of their greatest ever moments and the biggest shock in FA Cup history. Imagine playing the whole season knowing you can celebrate goals without repercussion then you get to the one game that matters the most and go mental all for nothing. Modern football is absolutely fucked.
Teach them to stay onside.

Teach them to stay onside.

I doubt the technology is actually good enough to know if he was ever really offside, you would need to be able to be able to compare the ball the millisecond it was hit to the defender and attackers position at that time, it was that tight. Drawing a line on the pitch at a time around that is no better than letting the ref decide on the pitch.

I doubt the technology is actually good enough to know if he was ever really offside, you would need to be able to be able to compare the ball the millisecond it was hit to the defender and attackers position at that time, it was that tight. Drawing a line on the pitch at a time around that is no better than letting the ref decide on the pitch.
There's already been studies showing VAR can never be truly accurate: https://www.bath.ac.uk/announcement...in-football-struggles-with-offside-decisions/

Drama to the end! It is offside though but in another life that’s a goal. Fine margins but, playing devils advocate, all of Coventry’s goals had a good slice of fortune about them. Well done Coventry though, great game for the neutrals and I imagine if you’re a United fan that was torture.
Only a Man Utd fan would call Man Utd 'United'.

How, exactly, do you work that out? Given the incident, there is no way the Man Utd defender thought in that split second "I know how VAR works, I'll do this" which gave him an advantage.

I've seen people say this, but never give an example where an advantage can be seen. If you have one, I'd love to hear it.

It's very basic training. For example if you are playing with VAR every week, you train to be facing the goal more frequently rather than be side on facing the side of the pitch, that way there is a narrower body to have anything than could be offside. You also learn to not lean forward so much when you run forward to a through ball, it defies the natural body shape normally expected to make an explosive run from a standstill start but it now has to be learnt to avoid offside by technology even if the linesperson misses it. Defenders learn not to keep a foot dragged back behind them and instead keep themselves narrow. This has to be practiced now by Prem sides to give them the best possible chances of winning games. It is now something a player in an elite league must pick up on to be as successful as they can possibly be so why wouldn't they train up on this. As it doesn't matter with a team like Coventry they don't do this practice, and in any 'normal' game they play they score a goal because the offside flag did not go up.

Look, this is an Oxford UNITED forum, the only team called 'UNITED' play in yellow and blue, not some overhyped money train from Manchester. Please refrain from calling any other club 'UNITED'. Oh, and 'CITY' play in blue and white hoops.
This forum simply would not function without your timely interventions :D

Friday - Oxford denied a clear penalty. Later given penalty that actually wasn't one, but were already losing
Saturday - Chelsea not given a penalty for a blatant handball vs City
Sunday - 2/3 blatant penalty's not given to Forest. Coventry denied a historic win by highly questionably drawn VAR lines.

Let's take a look at who all those decisions benefitted:

Friday - While you could argue the decisions on Friday balanced themselves out, we were denied the obvious penalty at 0-0. It if were rightly given, we probably go on to win the game. Oxford not winning means the L1 play-off race goes down to the final day with 4 teams involved. EFL benefit.
Saturday - Man City, the money men of football. Sets up a Manchester derby final. PL and FA benefit.
Sunday - Everton staying in the PL gives the PL, Sky etc more 'event' games (Everton Liverpool, Everton Man U etc). Forest doesn't have such games. PL benefit.
Man United, sets up Manchester derby final. PL and FA benefit.

So in the case of every questionable decision this weekend (that we know of), either the EFL, PL, or FA stand to benefit. Maybe the suggestion of corruption is too far fetched but hmmm, it's quite a coincidence, no?
DO not forget Lincolns penalty was not a pen!

Attilla the Stockbroker penned this beauty:
Send VAR to Coventry
And leave it there to rot
For everything that football is
That soulless farce is not.
Just like SISU and Archer
And FIFA’s hideous plans
It is an insult to the game
And loathed by us, the fans!

It's very basic training. For example if you are playing with VAR every week, you train to be facing the goal more frequently rather than be side on facing the side of the pitch, that way there is a narrower body to have anything than could be offside. You also learn to not lean forward so much when you run forward to a through ball, it defies the natural body shape normally expected to make an explosive run from a standstill start but it now has to be learnt to avoid offside by technology even if the linesperson misses it. Defenders learn not to keep a foot dragged back behind them and instead keep themselves narrow. This has to be practiced now by Prem sides to give them the best possible chances of winning games. It is now something a player in an elite league must pick up on to be as successful as they can possibly be so why wouldn't they train up on this. As it doesn't matter with a team like Coventry they don't do this practice, and in any 'normal' game they play they score a goal because the offside flag did not go up.

Some interesting thoughts and a lot to unpack with that, thanks for the reply. Where did you get this from?

If you'll indulge me...

The first thing I'd say is if the techniques you mention do impact on whether your are caught offside or not then every team should be practicing them, no? If it will work for VAR, it will work for 'standard' linesmen (to a lesser degree).

Leaning forwards whilst running is one that is right in my wheelhouse, when sprinting you should only have a small tilt forwards otherwise it doesn't help. Whilst accelerating you naturally lean forwards to gain speed - if you train this out then you don't accelerate as quickly - which for a forward could mean the difference between getting on the ball or not. I'd think training timings of runs would be more beneficial than essentially slowing forwards down.

The points on defenders is the most interesting however. Firstly, the part 'facing the goal instead of being side-on', I guess I've watched far too much League One football, I can see the logic but not how it would work in practice. From yesterday, would you say the defender is side-on or facing the goal? I'd say halfway between the two. How would you even be side-on in this instant? You would be tracking back towards your own goal.

1713791796261.png

Leaning forwards whilst running is one that is right in my wheelhouse, when sprinting you should only have a small tilt forwards otherwise it doesn't help. Whilst accelerating you naturally lean forwards to gain speed - if you train this out then you don't accelerate as quickly - which for a forward could mean the difference between getting on the ball or not. I'd think training timings of runs would be more beneficial than essentially slowing forwards down.
How utterly depressing that football has come to this

How utterly depressing that football has come to this
Nah I don't see it like that. Top level sport often comes down to small improvements that can swing the balance slightly in your favour. Every time there is a new rule, people will analyse it and see what can be done for an edge.

Although VAR should be scrapped immediately, only leaving the goalline technology in place.

Nah I don't see it like that. Top level sport often comes down to small improvements that can swing the balance slightly in your favour. Every time there is a new rule, people will analyse it and see what can be done for an edge.

Although VAR should be scrapped immediately, only leaving the goalline technology in place.
I meant in relation to VAR, convinced that it wouldn't be something most strikers would have spent much time on pre-VAR.

VAR ruins football and should indeed be scrapped. More refs making more mistakes, really don't see how it has made any improvement to the game.

Goal line tech makes sense though, agreed

Just got round to watching the highlights (started watching last night but decided to go to bed after the first goal went in. D'oh).
Well played Cov. Could easily have tipped the other way.

Another woeful decision in last nights game. Leeds player couldn't have been more obviously offside.

Another woeful decision in last nights game. Leeds player couldn't have been more obviously offside.
You would imagine the relevant authorities would use video replays to assist eliminating such impactful errors. 😐

I think Bamford was obscuring the linesman's view, that was the pundits opinion anyway. In that case perhaps the linesman should have used Bamford as his reference point and he was a yard offside too, so they really should have got that one right.

I think Bamford was obscuring the linesman's view, that was the pundits opinion anyway. In that case perhaps the linesman should have used Bamford as his reference point and he was a yard offside too, so they really should have got that one right.
Pundits always give refs excuses, or sometimes just completely breeze over mistakes in their entirety. As you say, even with the excuse it should still be obviously offside.

Just another hugely important game where the big refereeing mistake has conveniently gone the way of the 'bigger' team.

Back
Top Bottom