League One Coventry v Sunderland

just predicting them to win the league with or without Godden.
Think Pompey will get second if the cup games don’t ruin them.

I totally agree on current form.

However, none of the runs of form this season have lasted, so I wouldn't be betting on anyone just yet.

7 weeks in, Ipswich and Wycombe were running away with it.

In December, everyone was tipping us and Peterborough.

I would say that Rotherham and Coventry would probably remain my picks for the automatics at the moment, if only due to strength of squad mentality.

only lost 3 all season, think they’ll win the league with games to spare

And that’s why they’re up there. For a side like us, where a draw doesn’t get you much closer to the top bunch, it helps Coventry pull away. If they aren’t winning they’re at least acquiring something.

Playing in Birmingham and topping the league is a massive credit to Mark Robins. I hope to see them back in Coventry soon.

We shouldn't write off Fleetwood, either. We're 3rd in the form table (last 5 games) and 7th (last 10 games). Fleetwood are above us in both cases. Not to mention that they're only 2 points behind us with 2 games in hand.

Their next five games are tricky, but five of their final six games should be really easy for them as apart from playing us, the highest placed team they face is Accrington!

Last edited:
We shouldn't write off Fleetwood, either. We're 3rd in the form table (last 5 games) and 7th (last 10 games). Fleetwood are above us in both cases. Not to mention that they're only 2 points behind us with 2 games in hand.
I've tended to ignore them and Wycombe thinking both will tail off, but they are sticking around and we still have to play them both.

Fleetwood have Ipswich, Blackpool and Portsmouth in the next 9 days, as well as Rotherham and us, so plenty of tricky games to hopefully drop away. Wycombe also have us, Coventry and Rotherham in their next 6 games so again, points to be dropped.

If we come through March in decent shape the table should hopefully look a little more settled going into April.

Our record against Fleetwood is absolutely dire. Having nailed our Southend bogey, a route to the playoffs via a win against The Cod Patrol seems almost like a dream.Here’s hoping!!!

Our record against Fleetwood is absolutely dire. Having nailed our Southend bogey, a route to the playoffs via a win against The Cod Patrol seems almost like a dream.Here’s hoping!!!

Don’t forget our traditional six point gift to Bristol Rovers every season.

And that’s why they’re up there. For a side like us, where a draw doesn’t get you much closer to the top bunch, it helps Coventry pull away. If they aren’t winning they’re at least acquiring something.

Playing in Birmingham and topping the league is a massive credit to Mark Robins. I hope to see them back in Coventry soon.
Also have the coolest (third) kit in the FL... https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50027298

If Sunderland don't go up this season, I shall laugh so hard my innards may fall out. I don't know why but I've taken a real dislike to them and their 'bigger than you' mentality. Ipswich also.

If Sunderland don't go up this season, I shall laugh so hard my innards may fall out. I don't know why but I've taken a real dislike to them and their 'bigger than you' mentality. Ipswich also.

Teams like Ipswich and Sunderland (and other teams that suffer relegation) always think they're too big for the league. They never stop to look at Sheffield United, Leeds or Leicester, or many of the other 'big' clubs that stayed down for multiple seasons. It's fun to see them adjust to the reality.

For teams like Coventry and Portsmouth, who've been in League Two for multiple seasons recently, I don't know what their excuse is for the big B*****s mentality.

Teams like Ipswich and Sunderland (and other teams that suffer relegation) always think they're too big for the league. They never stop to look at Sheffield United, Leeds or Leicester, or many of the other 'big' clubs that stayed down for multiple seasons. It's fun to see them adjust to the reality.

For teams like Coventry and Portsmouth, who've been in League Two for multiple seasons recently, I don't know what their excuse is for the big B*****s mentality.
To be honest, exactly the same as some of our fans when when we were relegated to the conference!

To be honest, exactly the same as some of our fans when when we were relegated to the conference!

It's a natural reaction. "Excellent, we get to be a big fish for the first time in ages!"

It's very difficult to expect promotion without seeming cocky. You still have to respect the opposition, and I can't believe so many fans are incapable of it.

Coventry fans should be aware that if they do go up, relegated West Ham/Watford/Villa, etc fans will be saying "Ugh, I can't believe we have to play small fry like Coventry again. We'll walk the league against opposition like that."

Pompey have a difficult run plus the FA Cup and JPT final.
Portsmouth have the toughest final run of games of any of the top teams - having to play six of the top ten (plus the cup games).

A - Peterboro
H - Fleetwood
H - Accrington
H - Doncaster
A - Ipswich
A - Oxford
H - Bristol Rovers
A - Rotherham
H - Blackpool
A - Southend
A - Burton

All the best puns were already used in the thread set up when they announced the kit.

I'll send A Message To You with the link to the thread.

Back
Top Bottom