General Consortium Takeover - News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
the current deal will be extended ... on (hopefully) better terms, I think for a few seasons if required
Ityebtome ot will take for planning, consultations, appeals and altering plans to accommodate conditions will take up to 5 years and then the build 3 years minimum I think we will have to renegotiate a new lease more favourable than the present……but this is Kassam.

Three years ago I had to sit and listen to Karl Robinson banging on about how he thought we should just walk out and “play at a non-league ground for a couple of years to galvanise the fan base.”

Nice to see a bit of passion from the manager, if you ask me. And, mister know-all, you don't actually KNOW what would have happened if Tiger had put his faith in Karl.

I would have thought that the price of buying the existing stadium has risen substantially due to it now being potentially housing. A new stadium is the only wa.

I would have thought that the price of buying the existing stadium has fallen substantially due to thousands of new housing units being planned for Grenoble Road - who on earth wants a brownfield site when there's lots of luverly green grass to dig up. The beleaguered retail sector won't be queueing up to open a new B&Q and Primark in the stadium carcass either.

However, give it ten years and some astute owners......

I would have thought that the price of buying the existing stadium has fallen substantially due to thousands of new housing units being planned for Grenoble Road - who on earth wants a brownfield site when there's lots of luverly green grass to dig up. The beleaguered retail sector won't be queueing up to open a new B&Q and Primark in the stadium carcass either.

However, give it ten years and some astute owners......
The sort that like throwing money away for ten years on the basis that it may come good?

I don't think so.

Apologies for what will seem like such a fundamental piece of knowledge, but I've honestly forgotten when the current lease runs out. Is it summer 2025?

Last edited:
I would have thought that the price of buying the existing stadium has risen substantially due to it now being potentially housing. A new stadium is the only wa.
I know planning laws keep changing but councils are not obliged to let houses be built on the Kassam are they? Look at the speedway site, I'm sure the owners of the land hoped they would eventually get permission to build houses on it?

I know planning laws keep changing but councils are not obliged to let houses be built on the Kassam are they? Look at the speedway site, I'm sure the owners of the land hoped they would eventually get permission to build houses on it?

Is the Kassam still an Asset of Community Value? If so, would that make it difficult to build homes on?

They’re not but if Kassam sells to a developer they then have to apply with plans to build and it’s up to the council whether to approve them or not.

Three years ago I had to sit and listen to Karl Robinson banging on about how he thought we should just walk out and “play at a non-league ground for a couple of years to galvanise the fan base.” Despite not having an answer when I challenged him as to which local non-league ground would meet EFL requirements, or how many years we would have to wait for a new home to be secured. This was at a time when Tiger was stupidly telling everybody to start shouting at the other tiger in our lives, which has had our head in its mouth for 15 years. If we had done that (and we were absolutely threatening to for a hot minute) then we would’ve been homeless and completely f*cked as Kassam would’ve argued that we had voided the agreement, submitted plans to plough the stadium into the ground ASAP and left us with nowhere to go and nothing on the horizon. We would’ve probably been expelled from the league in the process. So let’s hope that whatever any ‘other options’ might be, none of them are anything as insane as that.

We either have to leave the current site to move straight to a new one, or with an absolutely cast iron guarantee that any sort of ground share would only be for a season, possibly two max. If we ever manage to leave, it has to be with certainty. You would like to think that the people we know are becoming more heavily involved will have several plans, and that none of them involve blindly marching out of the KS and figuring it out later. As long as that isn’t on the table then there’s no need to worry in the immediacy. The sound of the current deal ticking down does get a tiny bit louder on the first of every month, though. The terms we adhere to presently are completely unsustainable, so something will have to give sooner or later.

Let’s hope that we get what we want at the end of it all. At least there are people with the resources and experience trying to move the pieces. It’s certainly the best shot we’ve had at righting a few wrongs in some capacity.
Why are you bothered? You don't go to the Kassam.

They’re not but if Kassam sells to a developer they then have to apply with plans to build and it’s up to the council whether to approve them or not.
I think it was Bob Price explaining at a oxvox meeting at least 2 years ago that a deal could be struck for a win win deal for all parties.

Why are you bothered? You don't go to the Kassam.
I’ve been to the Kassam twice this season, if that’s alright with you, just not every week as I don’t have a ST, like thousands of others don’t for a variety of reasons. Shall I never go to any games so that you can have a proper go about how I don’t support the club at all? Which is it? Some of my money or none?

If you could let me know when I’ve earned the right to comment or have an opinion on anything at all, and how many of my 20+ combined years of being a season ticket holder, let alone time spent as a club employee in between, count towards that quota, it would be much obliged.

Until then do feel free to make pathetic comments that only serve to highlight how important I am to you. It’s sweet that you’re so “bothered” to use your own language.

Cry more.

I think it was Bob Price explaining at a oxvox meeting at least 2 years ago that a deal could be struck for a win win deal for all parties.
Bob price is an idiot he doesn’t like Oxford utd and tbf it wouldn’t be down to him

A snippet from the OxVox notes regarding their meeting with certain board members on Tuesday:

We were briefly able to discuss the stadium situation as part of this conversation. It continues to be the club’s stated intention to solve the stadium situation. They are actively pursuing the possibility of a new stadium. This is the most organised and concerted effort on this front we have seen since we left the Manor Ground.

There are huge issues that stand in the way of any project this large but it’s clear the board intend to work hard to overcome these. There were further conversations with others involved in the project regarding the stadium that we are unable to discuss but they relate to other options available to the club.

We would at this point strike a note of caution over the potential new stadium. It remains an incredibly difficult and probably lengthy process and while we are fully behind the club’s effort and working with them where we can, there is also a lot of work done on all options to improve our situation.
With the calibre of people that are taking over the club, considering they've also been on the board for a number of years so have been able to assess the stadium situation, I honestly can't see anything other than the club building a new stadium elsewhere.

The alternative would be to not just buy the Kassam for an inflated price, but the whole Ozone complex too so that the whole area can be redeveloped. The cost of purchasing and redeveloping would be significantly more, and it'd also mean the club and the owners were boxed in with what they can add and the ever-present location issues. If they (especially Horst Geike) can't add significant value to the club in terms of property, then there's surely no way they'd be involved?

Meanwhile people are assuming Knightsbridge Asia is Geicke as he is the only board member without an obvious holding in the parent Singapore company. So tiger is by name. Empire Asia we already know is Pairoj and co. And the two Indonesian companies - EMT presumably Erik Thohir by the initials and Brown Sports by elimination is Bakrie

Who’s to say Knightsbridge is not some hedge fund like SISU operating out of the BVI? Perhaps some connection to Geicke ? Or another group of investors?

If only we could get answers on who is behind the largest shareholding in the Singapore holding company.

With the calibre of people that are taking over the club, considering they've also been on the board for a number of years so have been able to assess the stadium situation, I honestly can't see anything other than the club building a new stadium elsewhere.

The alternative would be to not just buy the Kassam for an inflated price, but the whole Ozone complex too so that the whole area can be redeveloped. The cost of purchasing and redeveloping would be significantly more, and it'd also mean the club and the owners were boxed in with what they can add and the ever-present location issues. If they (especially Horst Geike) can't add significant value to the club in terms of property, then there's surely no way they'd be involved?

I agree with most of what our Ryan has written (as ever, he’s a clever sort), but I do think that there’s something too in what you’re saying.

There must be a sense that a deal CAN be done (if not WILL… yet) on the new stadium front, or else our new, international, monied investors surely wouldn’t now be looking to a) increase their stake; and b) do so in such a public fashion (see: national media statements in March, engagement with key local political stakeholders, meeting of the staff and public appearances at matches).

Basically what I’m saying is that we’re in Dumb and Dumber territory:

giphy.gif

So many hurdles still, but if we can land this, it’ll be what we’ve hoped for for many, many decades. Keep em crossed, everyone.

Last edited:
That's a bit of an overreaction isn't ? He was just explaining a scenario.
Sorry not an overreaction it’s just how he is. He likes to smell of roses but smell more like the manure you put around the roses. Never believe what any local councillor or former councillor says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom