General Commercial and Marketing

I've been to many genuine Christmas markets in Germany and that was not what I was expecting, nor should it be. I had expected a little more of an "extravaganza" as heralded by the club. I had expected some "festive food" that doesn't exclude "Spanish Churros" but should not be the only offering. The reindeer were nice and the silver band good but the "John Lewis top gifts" extended to two table tops of cosmetics and chocolates. We donated our Teddy (having eventually locating the wheely bin designated for this purpose) and went for a burger.
The overall impression was not one of a well thought through event. I'm glad that you enjoyed it and pleased that you had children who also enjoyed the experience but, I've got higher expectations. Where was the Gluhwein, the roasted chestnuts, goods from the club shop (having prevented Sue Trafford from selling club merchandise she was left with very little to offer) Where was the effort to engage with the kids, aside from the reindeer? A few tins of Quality Street or similar being handed out to the kids with Olly the Ox on hand? (yes, he was outside having his picture taken with Santa but why not really go all out and give the kids a token to remember the club?)

Maybe I'm just getting old and can recall much better events being organised, maybe younger folk have lesser expectations but, it didn't work for me.
Sorry !

One person with a negative experience doesn't make the whole thing "embarrassing". Plenty of others had very positive experiences, especially the kids. Hundreds had their photos taken with the reindeers, Olly and Santa. The cricket truck was popular pre-game. And the quadrangle saw decent footfall and sales for the likes of John Lewis* and Little Ox Brewery, and supporting charities. There were lots of teddy bears donated for Helen and Douglas House.

There are things to moan about, and I think the issue with the Traffords has been badly managed, but that doesn't mean that everything the club does warrants such negativity. Suggestions and improvements are great, and next year will hopefully we better still.

* John Lewis want to continue to build links with the club which will hopefully give the club access to high profile floor space in the Westgate in which to sell its merchandise. This can only be a good thing and shows that the club is building for the future.
And if the John Lewis enterprise comes off then I hope they give a small acknowledgement to a then 21 year old fan whose persistance to a club employee that if Exeter City could have their clubs merchandise in their Devon store then why can't we look at something similar in the Westgate? Looks like the lads lead has lead to something - touch wood.

I've been to many genuine Christmas markets in Germany and that was not what I was expecting, nor should it be. I had expected a little more of an "extravaganza" as heralded by the club. I had expected some "festive food" that doesn't exclude "Spanish Churros" but should not be the only offering. The reindeer were nice and the silver band good but the "John Lewis top gifts" extended to two table tops of cosmetics and chocolates. We donated our Teddy (having eventually locating the wheely bin designated for this purpose) and went for a burger.
The overall impression was not one of a well thought through event. I'm glad that you enjoyed it and pleased that you had children who also enjoyed the experience but, I've got higher expectations. Where was the Gluhwein, the roasted chestnuts, goods from the club shop (having prevented Sue Trafford from selling club merchandise she was left with very little to offer) Where was the effort to engage with the kids, aside from the reindeer? A few tins of Quality Street or similar being handed out to the kids with Olly the Ox on hand? (yes, he was outside having his picture taken with Santa but why not really go all out and give the kids a token to remember the club?)

Maybe I'm just getting old and can recall much better events being organised, maybe younger folk have lesser expectations but, it didn't work for me.
Christ on a bike! Can you hear yourself? On and on and on. Is there anything about OUFC you like or enjoy?

You used to be someone who was very positive about the club. Now, you seem to take every opportunity to criticise it. Was the loss of the 1893 gig the turning point?

Should we expect the Hog(g) Roast to provide a good service, only to b****r off after a few months when a middling Championship club wants it to park up at their ground?
I think you’ve got the wrong Hog(g), Mr Barton.

• React
Reactions: MJB
You used to be someone who was very positive about the club. Now, you seem to take every opportunity to criticise it. Was the loss of the 1893 gig the turning point?
Given the acerbic and defamatory remarks made by at least one person on here I was in two minds whether to even bother responding but, for the sake of clarity, here goes.
Yes, with the demise of the 1893 club I was disappointed with the club's response. Many had enjoyed the 1893 club and for some it was a real social lifeline. For others it was a real game changer on whether they attended or not. (This was one of the reasons I became involved with the OUSP - not the only one but the initial impetus)
What the club then offered was the restaurant (@ £60 a time) or the Britannia club which amounted to a lot more money and a "pie" on entry. This was to replace tea/coffee and biscuits at half time. This failed and the next offering was entry to the bar for £250 per season - nothing more than entry to the bar (and the inflated Kassam rates for drinks) I meet regularly with ex-members pre-match and on every occasion the demise and lack of replacement seems to feature in conversation at some point even after so much time has passed.
The recent FA cup ticketing gave rise to several discussions with some very agitated at the change to long held tradition. These are supporters who have followed the club for decades. (I consider myself a junior with "only" 50 years supporting the club)

I felt that the marketing and commercial side of the club was failing badly and this prompted me to look at and become aware of, more disconnect with us, the supporters. Poor season ticket marketing, a poorly run shop with stock deficiencies. The lack of communication with supporters. Then the long saga with the head coach. Culminating in a meeting with the CEO where I was admonished for remarking that the (attending) head coach found the supporter reactions amusing. The disconnect was palpable.
It may seem to some that I am critical of everything but, this is more likely because of what I criticise and what I don't. I have my concerns for the future of the club. In particular the move to the new stadium. If the hospitality, commercial and marketing side of the club is not improved then I can only see issues. There is a lot of fantastic stuff being achieved and, despite my cynicism, the current CEO and Chair probably have enough to get things right. They do though, need a lesson in communicating with supporters. The club does, in my opinion, need to get help in the commercial and marketing areas. Right now, with the new stadium very much in the balance, the backing of supporters is vital. The treatment of some support, @OxVox @OUSP Secretary and people like Sue Trafford as examples, are all being given a very poor deal.
My apologies if I come across as a whingeing old fart but it is not in my make up to bend over and allow sunshine to beam out of my backside whilst steering some sort of happy clappy bus. I say what I see. I'm still positive about the club but desperate to see real success.

Given the acerbic and defamatory remarks made by at least one person on here I was in two minds whether to even bother responding but, for the sake of clarity, here goes.
Yes, with the demise of the 1893 club I was disappointed with the club's response. Many had enjoyed the 1893 club and for some it was a real social lifeline. For others it was a real game changer on whether they attended or not. (This was one of the reasons I became involved with the OUSP - not the only one but the initial impetus)
What the club then offered was the restaurant (@ £60 a time) or the Britannia club which amounted to a lot more money and a "pie" on entry. This was to replace tea/coffee and biscuits at half time. This failed and the next offering was entry to the bar for £250 per season - nothing more than entry to the bar (and the inflated Kassam rates for drinks) I meet regularly with ex-members pre-match and on every occasion the demise and lack of replacement seems to feature in conversation at some point even after so much time has passed.
The recent FA cup ticketing gave rise to several discussions with some very agitated at the change to long held tradition. These are supporters who have followed the club for decades. (I consider myself a junior with "only" 50 years supporting the club)

I felt that the marketing and commercial side of the club was failing badly and this prompted me to look at and become aware of, more disconnect with us, the supporters. Poor season ticket marketing, a poorly run shop with stock deficiencies. The lack of communication with supporters. Then the long saga with the head coach. Culminating in a meeting with the CEO where I was admonished for remarking that the (attending) head coach found the supporter reactions amusing. The disconnect was palpable.
It may seem to some that I am critical of everything but, this is more likely because of what I criticise and what I don't. I have my concerns for the future of the club. In particular the move to the new stadium. If the hospitality, commercial and marketing side of the club is not improved then I can only see issues. There is a lot of fantastic stuff being achieved and, despite my cynicism, the current CEO and Chair probably have enough to get things right. They do though, need a lesson in communicating with supporters. The club does, in my opinion, need to get help in the commercial and marketing areas. Right now, with the new stadium very much in the balance, the backing of supporters is vital. The treatment of some support, @OxVox @OUSP Secretary and people like Sue Trafford as examples, are all being given a very poor deal.
My apologies if I come across as a whingeing old fart but it is not in my make up to bend over and allow sunshine to beam out of my backside whilst steering some sort of happy clappy bus. I say what I see. I'm still positive about the club but desperate to see real success.

One can concur with that.
If the club don`t look after the, dare I say, "idle rich" then they really are cutting off their nose to spite their face.
Probably a reason we need the new ground, so all that revenue goes to the rich folk and we can look forward to 4 figure ST prices for us plebs and debentures for the likes of the 1893. :)

One can concur with that.
If the club don`t look after the, dare I say, "idle rich" then they really are cutting off their nose to spite their face.
Probably a reason we need the new ground, so all that revenue goes to the rich folk and we can look forward to 4 figure ST prices for us plebs and debentures for the likes of the 1893. :)
?????

It’s quite intersting to look back as another 50 years of following united, it’s own way the club seemed more switched on then in doing things to generate “interest’
Vibrant busy supporters club , manorettes, frankie doing his match day pit, club shop, tried pop concerts, cricket matches, proper reserve football, the lottery, birth of the London road travel club, the move of Jim hunt from supporters club to the club all seemed to be positive

It’s quite intersting to look back as another 50 years of following united, it’s own way the club seemed more switched on then in doing things to generate “interest’
Vibrant busy supporters club , manorettes, frankie doing his match day pit, club shop, tried pop concerts, cricket matches, proper reserve football, the lottery, birth of the London road travel club, the move of Jim hunt from supporters club to the club all seemed to be positive
Just not sure that much of this generated a huge amount if interest. Crowds were what 4 000/ 5,000 ish for much of this time.
I uses to love tye reserves team football- seeing all of the Division 1 reserve teams. The fact that this stopped has nothing to do with the club at all.

The "new" customers those in charge wish to attract.

Following something along the Arsenal model....... can`t get a ST for 5+ years? Buy a debenture with a ST guarantee. Its where the money is.

"Category A debentures have fetched £12,500 in recent months, an increase of more than 400 per cent on trades just a year ago. Some are now being listed with a reserve price of £21,000. They cost £1,500 when they were issued in the early 1990s.

Arsenal debentures are not season tickets in themselves but give the holder the right to buy one at additional cost. But with the club estimating the waiting list for season tickets to be 5-10 years, it has proved an appealing option for some fans."
Source: https://www.cityam.com/arsenal-fans...to-skip-5-10-year-season-ticket-waiting-list/

Back
Top Bottom