General Commercial and Marketing

I have to share something with you all which will hopefully show you what a brilliant community minded club we have.

(Sorry to repeat this as most of you know). My eleven year old boy is autistic and @LowerSouth kindly shared the YouTube video of Billy Bodin and his wife Kayleigh talking about their autistic son Bobby for world autism awareness week (I’ve pasted a link below. It’s a great watch).

I dropped Adam and his team a note to say thank you for raising awareness and to pass on my thanks to Billy and his family for speaking so eloquently. Awareness helps so much. I wasn’t expecting a response to be honest. I’m one fan and clubs are busy.

I got a note later in the day saying they had spoken to Billy and he wondered if we wanted to meet him at training. Now my lad would find that difficult and couldn’t cope at a match despite all the measures the club puts in place (sensory room, family stand etc). My daughter is a huge yellows fan and they extended the invite to her and offered a goodie bag to my son.

Now, I think that is an amazing response and it makes me even prouder to follow this brilliant club. I know mistakes get made and many of you are closer to things than me but many clubs would not have done anything like this. And whether it’s sponsoring Pride or the Oxford Literary Fest or its involvement in Truck, this club represents us all. There will be missteps but I am so touched at the response of the club.

From being on the Supporters Panel I know of dozens of examples where the club have reached out to fans, young and old with all sorts of things. Due to the circumstances, very few of these things get shared publicly.

I don't think the club get everything right, far from it sometimes. But I'm proud to support a club that does things because they're the right thing to do, rather than because they make good headlines.

I hope your daughter has a fantastic experience and your boy loves his goodie bag.

From being on the Supporters Panel I know of dozens of examples where the club have reached out to fans, young and old with all sorts of things. Due to the circumstances, very few of these things get shared publicly.

I don't think the club get everything right, far from it sometimes. But I'm proud to support a club that does things because they're the right thing to do, rather than because they make good headlines.

I hope your daughter has a fantastic experience and your boy loves his goodie bag.
I couldn’t agree more. The tone of the emails from the club was spot on too. “Can we do anything to make you son comfortable on a visit” etc.

My daughter is on an overnight school trip and I texted her to see if she wanted to do the visit. Her response was YES OML YES. I don’t even know what OML means.

I told my mate about this (not an OUFC fan) saying “aren’t football clubs brilliant” and his response was “just OUFC. You can’t imagine Charlton giving a f**k”. Harsh but a point that not all clubs care.

Anyway I’m chuffed to bits and love this football club.

Last edited:

I won’t share the details - as you suggest, some of them won’t ever get shared - but me and mine have benefitted from similar from the club on more than one occasion.

I’m excited for this week and desperate for us to do well, but it was those times that make it “my club” no matter what.

Glad to hear with all the other feedback that they’re still getting this sort of thing right and hope @Eric Blair and fam have a top time.

This is what makes our club great and shows, despite all the things they get wrong, they get some things very right and it’s what makes me proud to be a fan of this club.

Back
Top Bottom