General Club/Fan Problems in a Nutshell

Aah, the return of the mythical 2k.

Worry not, once we move, they’ll find another reason to stay away.

@Scotchegg I’ve noticed you liking a few posts in the last few days that have a dig at our fans and their concerns.

Whilst you will be able to hide a little behind this one because it’s an intangible comment it gives the distinct impression that there’s a large section of our fanbase you don’t connect or empathize with.

Given you are a fans representative it’s worrying. You give the same feeling of antipathy that the leadership have given many of us .

Knowing that historically you appear to have gotten dopemine hits from being on the inside or “itk” it does make me question …

…do you feel you’re the right person to truly represent our fanbase or is it a journey for your ego?

To the above (not that there is a solution) I would add the fact that Mous is probably going to lead Pompey into the Championship. It does not sit well.

@Scotchegg I’ve noticed you liking a few posts in the last few days that have a dig at our fans and their concerns.

Whilst you will be able to hide a little behind this one because it’s an intangible comment it gives the distinct impression that there’s a large section of our fanbase you don’t connect or empathize with.

Given you are a fans representative it’s worrying. You give the same feeling of antipathy that the leadership have given many of us .

Knowing that historically you appear to have gotten dopemine hits from being on the inside or “itk” it does make me question …

…do you feel you’re the right person to truly represent our fanbase or is it a journey for your ego?

Well that's a proportionate response to liking a single post on here!

Just for the record, the post I liked was the one that suggested that there is a large number of fans staying away because of Kassam. Whilst that maybe true, I don't feel that has anything to do with the disconnect between fans and club, and sadly after a decade or more of being away, it might take more than a new stadium to attract these fans back.

Sorry for having such an ego fuelled opinion on these things!

I've also made a comment on the thread around Rosie and agreed that the atmosphere has been rubbish for a while. Interestingly, I started watching Oxford United just before Rosie joined so also have a 40+ year history with the club. Does being on OUSP prevent me from having an opinion on this? Or am I not allowed to share this?

I joined OUSP in order to make a difference for other fans and feel proud of what we achieve as a panel during difficult times. However, to reinforce another recent post, all positions on the panel are open to election and I have always encouraged others to put themselves forward so that an election can take place.

It will then be up to others to decide if they would like me to represent them or not.

But you may wish to refect on comments from Manorlounger about some if the abuse he suffered whilst on the panel, or look back to disgusting comments made towards our current secretary on here. Every one of us on the panel gives our time for the benefit of others and sadly its far from the ego trip that you think. Yet we appear to be fair game for personal attacks. I am thick skinned enough to respond without getting upset, but unfortunately posts like thrse will push other good people away.

To the above (not that there is a solution) I would add the fact that Mous is probably going to lead Pompey into the Championship. It does not sit well.
Good point and that's something that, for whatever reason, leaves a sour taste - wish him all the best though.

Just for the record, the post I liked was the one that suggested that there is a large number of fans staying away because of Kassam. Whilst that maybe true, I don't feel that has anything to do with the disconnect between fans and club, and sadly after a decade or more of being away, it might take more than a new stadium to attract these fans back.

I've also made a comment on the thread around Rosie and agreed that the atmosphere has been rubbish for a while. Interestingly, I started watching Oxford United just before Rosie joined so also have a 40+ year history with the club. Does being on OUSP prevent me from having an opinion on this? Or am I not allowed to share this?

I joined OUSP in order to make a difference for other fans and feel proud of what we achieve as a panel during difficult times. However, to reinforce another recent post, all positions on the panel are open to election and I have always encouraged others to put themselves forward so that an election can take place.

It will then be up to others to decide if they would like me to represent them or not.

But you may wish to refect on comments from Manorlounger about some if the abuse he suffered whilst on the panel, or look back to disgusting comments made towards our current secretary on here. Every one of us on the panel gives our time for the benefit of others and sadly its far from the ego trip that you think. Yet we appear to be fair game for personal attacks. I am thick skinned enough to respond without getting upset, but unfortunately posts like thrse will push other good people away.
Sorry to have caused ‘like-gate’.

My post was supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek remark on the mythical 2k that’s been discussed on this forum since 1893.

My post was supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek remark on the mythical 2k that’s been discussed on this forum since 1893.
I feel partly responsible too for starting this 😂. I agreed with your sentiment though. I’m not entirely sure that these people actually exist. Or if they do, they’re a tiny constituency.

s**t, I've just liked this post!

Scotchegg out!!

I feel that many are regarding the new stadium as some sort of panacea for all the evils (perceived or not) of the Kassam.

The expectancy of a great atmosphere there is manifested in a sense of apathy here.

• React
Reactions: m
Why have I only received ONE like for my original post?!’ I reckon It’s all part of a great conspiracy by FOSB to nullify debate.

but I think it's to some extent some of the older generation in their sixties/seventies who frown at fans who actually dare to get out of their seats and show at times some heated passion
...which when you think about it, most of these 60/70 year olds would have been on the LRT in the 70s and 80s making all the noise, so why the change now? Obviously as we get older we aren't as boisterous and noisy as we were in our 20s, but why hostile to it?

Hopefully the new ground will be a sort of reset for the fanbase. Get the singers all together in the safe standing, us older lot can then find a nice comfy seat in the 'new Osler' instead of us being scattered about the East Stand where we've had our seats for 20 years.

The club has missed the changing mood of the fan base for a long time and I'm just left feeling perpetually frustrated with them, so negative feelings take over. They have wasted a feel good factor that could have and should have been tapped into whilst the ground issue has been building.

Why have I only received ONE like for my original post?!’ I reckon It’s all part of a great conspiracy by FOSB to nullify debate.
Looking back at it, I think you deserved more credit for correct use of the semicolon alone. The post was very well punctuated, that is probably what has intimidated a lot of members.

Looking back at it, I think you deserved more credit for correct use of the semicolon alone. The post was very well punctuated, that is probably what has intimidated a lot of members.
Your comma should be a semicolon.

As I stated very clearly it’s not just one post it’s been multiple posts. I just chose to put my reply here on this thread.

And of course you can have opinion. Just like Tim and Grant have opinions. But the fact that you appear to have some disdain for a lot of our fanbase doesn’t really do you many favours as a representative. Because presumably you’re intended to represent everyone.

As for your inference that any questioning of your approach to or respect for our fanbase is parallel to a “abuse suffered” or “disgusting comments” seems a pretty trite and deliberately incommensurate response to silence further comment.

Last edited:
But the fact that you appear to have some disdain for a lot of our fanbase doesn’t really do you many favours as a representative.

I'm sorry to say that you appear to want to take an extreme view on what is ultimately a place for people to share thoughts and opinions, some of which will be the polar opposites of others.

You want to make this personal, and that is your choice. But the examples of other personal attacks that I gave are real and have resulted in one representative leaving their role and another being genuinely upset. You may feel that is trite but you wasn't on the receiving end of this so perhaps it has less meaning to you.

I will continue to post as I see fit, and will also continue to represent anyone regardless of my personal views as I have done numerous times to date.

Back
Top Bottom