Wilder as footballing innovator?

Wouldn't you look for another job if you knew your career was going nowhere as it stands?
So it was going nowhere 2 years before the point il wasn’t giving him the tools and wanted to sell ?

I don’t get why ur still trying to argue it, u think he’s a good manger , that’s fine. I think he ok. U think he did a great job here, I think he did ok, but thank him for getting us out of that league. U think he’s brilliant , I think he’s a chippy t**t. I’m not trying to convince u ur wrong and u won’t change my mind. So as the man himself said . He’s history, history means nothing, I don’t care about his history, I care about here and now.

So it was going nowhere 2 years before the point il wasn’t giving him the tools and wanted to sell ?

I don’t get why ur still trying to argue it, u think he’s a good manger , that’s fine. I think he ok. U think he did a great job here, I think he did ok, but thank him for getting us out of that league. U think he’s brilliant , I think he’s a chippy t**t. I’m not trying to convince u ur wrong and u won’t change my mind. So as the man himself said . He’s history, history means nothing, I don’t care about his history, I care about here and now.
IL didn't just wake up one day and think "I'll sell OUFC today" It was coming and probably took 2 years to formulate. In the meantime Chippy, as you call him, tried to move us forward with the resources he had. He couldn't do it. IL sold to DE, Mapp came in and was successful but he jumped ship when yet again it became clear the money man is getting cold feet,

IL didn't just wake up one day and think "I'll sell OUFC today" It was coming and probably took 2 years to formulate. In the meantime Chippy, as you call him, tried to move us forward with the resources he had. He couldn't do it. IL sold to DE, Mapp came in and was successful but he jumped ship when yet again it became clear the money man is getting cold feet,
Lovely. And I’m not arguing with any of it. Still doesn’t mean I have to rate him or like him

Lovely. And I’m not arguing with any of it. Still doesn’t mean I have to rate him or like him
You thought he was great when he got us out the tinpot league on that great day at Wembley 2010 - he slid on his knees down the touchline and showed real passion. So what changed? Didn't get promoted or beat everyone 4 nil in next 2 years? It's a job - not personal. But so many football fans have such deluded affinity to a football team that they lose all perspective. Players, Chairmen, Managers will come and go but loyal supporters will always be there. Don't slag off any previous incumbent who has taken us forward. Jim Smith went to QPR because Mavwell wouldn't pay him - but we all loved him when he took us out the Football League! Get a grip

Actually no I didn’t think he was great. He had very nearly thrown away a massively lead and ended up finishing 3rd. I will slag off or have an opinion on who ever I bloody like thank you very much. As I’ve said I’m not trying to change urs and u won’t change mine, as u say js and ma have both moved on for the same reasons. Both did so with respect from the fans, without the need to take petty insults at the club after. You are sounding so defensive and chippy that u could actually be ur hero .

Last edited by a moderator:
You thought he was great when he got us out the tinpot league on that great day at Wembley 2010 - he slid on his knees down the touchline and showed real passion. So what changed? Didn't get promoted or beat everyone 4 nil in next 2 years? It's a job - not personal. But so many football fans have such deluded affinity to a football team that they lose all perspective. Players, Chairmen, Managers will come and go but loyal supporters will always be there. Don't slag off any previous incumbent who has taken us forward. Jim Smith went to QPR because Mavwell wouldn't pay him - but we all loved him when he took us out the Football League! Get a grip

Hi Chris,

Still as bitter as ever I see.

He's certainly looking over our shoulders to have 2 of our footballing heroes playing for him regularly atm....grr

Interesting article about the Blades flowing football but perhaps more interesting because it doesn't mention Alan Knill or anyone else in the coaching staff. I'm not particularly anti-Wilder, he eventually did a job for us and I think he learnt a lot while managing us. I also think he left mainly because he didn't feel backed by the board, which is fair enough. But at the same time the football didn't exactly set the world alight and he never struck me as a football innovator, so I'm wondering where all this is coming from?
Alan Knill and CW are a strong team. Were successful @ Bury, NTFC and now SUFC.

Whereas Chris Wilder and Micky Lewis were a less successful partnership at Oxford.

Go figure.....................
Alan Knill had been a successful manager previously, esp @ Bury FC, where CW started out as his No2.

I heard for a very good source at OUFC that Wilder wanted the glory of going up at Wembley and engineered it.

Frankly, I don't believe your "good source". Suggesting that a manager would throw games to engineer the uncertainty of promotion via the play-offs is a ludicrous conspiracy theory. It doesn't even make sense on its own terms - nobody thinks promotion via the play-offs has more glory than automatic promotion.

I heard for a very good source at OUFC that Wilder wanted the glory of going up at Wembley and engineered it. He wasnt back by the OUFC board and was bitter about that. When he won promotion with NTFC he enjoyed calling the OUFC staff and drunkingly letting them know how happpy he was. Not a decent chap. Agreed. But. CW gets results.

The biggest load of crap I’ve heard on a long time

Malcomsmoustache
"But people have very short memories,
We were heading for Conference South when he took over in December"

People certainly do have short memories.
Oxford had 30 points from 23 games when Wilder took over.
Pretty dismal,but knowhere near "heading for the Conference South"
Woking went down in 21st with 44 points.
I'm sure even the totally inept Darren Patterson,could have managed 15 points from 23 games.

I'm bloody not.