Chelski U21 away

If any game in this competition is to be boycotted, it has to be this one. 'Little old Oxford' taking a massive following to stamford bridge would make it seem like lower league clubs (represented by us) get a real thrill out of having a night out at venues like stamford bridge, regardless of which team Chelsea put out. This would go a long way to legitimising the whole idea of integrating B teams into the lower leagues - which is what the whole boycott is about preventing! As enticing as the fixture may seem, especially because our lack of cup runs and derbies this year has left us with an already-acknowledged shortage of 'big games', it is crucial that it is viewed with as much disdain as any fixture in any other round where u-23 teams are still in the competition.
I think its safe to say that no one cares about attendance figures. Last season and earlier this season proved that fans are not buying into this format and the competition gained negative publicity for it. But it continues, and is likely to again next year. Why? Because the powers that be couldn't care less what the fans want and are convinced that the big teams will showcase young british talent that will improve our International standings - regardless of evidence of the exact opposite.

By all means, boycott any game you like but it honestly makes no difference either way.

If any game in this competition is to be boycotted, it has to be this one. 'Little old Oxford' taking a massive following to stamford bridge would make it seem like lower league clubs (represented by us) get a real thrill out of having a night out at venues like stamford bridge, regardless of which team Chelsea put out. This would go a long way to legitimising the whole idea of integrating B teams into the lower leagues - which is what the whole boycott is about preventing! As enticing as the fixture may seem, especially because our lack of cup runs and derbies this year has left us with an already-acknowledged shortage of 'big games', it is crucial that it is viewed with as much disdain as any fixture in any other round where u-23 teams are still in the competition.

This. 100%.

Don't be surprised if this ends up at the Kass
I discussed this with a Pompey fan when they were drawn away to Chelsea. I was sure that the under 23’s had to play all of their games away this season. But they change the rules every week.
Pompey did play them at home

They haven't played at SB this season in the comp and rearranged one of their group games tro be away. Reckon the same will happen here if we agree to it, and otherwise will prob be at Kingsmeadow.
Chelsea's children haven't moved into Kingsmeadow yet. So it'll either be at Cobham (their training ground!) or ours.

Either way it's a bloody farce. Should have never got to this point of uncertaintity really. Bring back the old JPT!

Oxford Mail says it will be played at the Bridge. Surprised. Wonder what their lowest ever attendance is?

The lowest attendance at SB in the PL is 7,148 against Southampton in 1992.
Lowest attendance in the 2nd division 6,009 against Orient 1982
Lowest post war crowd at SB, 3,489 v Luton Full members cup 1991.

Apparently 5,200 there for last seasons game.
They took 113 to Pompey.

They haven't played at SB this season in the comp and rearranged one of their group games tro be away. Reckon the same will happen here if we agree to it, and otherwise will prob be at Kingsmeadow.

Only Chelsea Ladies have moved into Kingsmeadow. The u23s aren't part of the agreement yet apparently.

I think its safe to say that no one cares about attendance figures. Last season and earlier this season proved that fans are not buying into this format and the competition gained negative publicity for it. But it continues, and is likely to again next year. Why? Because the powers that be couldn't care less what the fans want and are convinced that the big teams will showcase young british talent that will improve our International standings - regardless of evidence of the exact opposite.

By all means, boycott any game you like but it honestly makes no difference either way.

I do agree to a point in that Harvey and co will ignore the ongoing low crowds issue.

That said if decent crowds turn up then Harvey and co will be shouting it from the rooftops as showing what a great competition it is and how the format is being accepted. Funnily enough, they were happy to make a thing about the crowd at Wembley as it was a good crowd.

I just think that having 64 fans at Stevenage v Yeovil (or some other shite fixture) doesnt send any kind of a message if you then take 1000+ to Chelsea U23s away. It sort of says, "yeah we're against the idea of U23 teams... until we get a chance to play them!" I take your point, but I do think the fans have some influence, and that even if their boycotts are ignored, they can be used by the powers that be as an excuse for the continuation of the format ("Look, they love having U23 teams in the competition, look how many fans they brought!"). No need to make it easy for them.

We won’t take loads plus it will be shown on ifollow as per the other Checkatrade games this season

Seriously - who could possibly view this as an enticing fixture? We're going to be playing in an empty stadium against a bunch of kids in the quarter finals of a pointless competition that we've anyway almost won the past two seasons.

I'm sure that the 122 who were at the Valley will probably turn up.....they're clearly the complete obsessives that would rather watch any OUFC game than do anything else....but what about this fixture could possibly get anyone else excited?

If I was still living in London, I wouldn't boycott (because I believe that is, and has been shown to be, a completely pointless exercise). I just wouldn't have any desire to go in the first place!

We wouldn't have had this fixture this season if people had balls and common sense. Boycott may not work now, but its all about whether you individually want to support Academy sides into the lower leagues, which ultimately endangers the future of your Football Club. Very strong words - but anyone who attends this game is quite frankly an embarrassment to Oxford United.

All U21 teams had to play their group games away. Swansea were drawn at home in previous round against Charlton and that was played at the Liberty Stadium so it should be at SB as per the rules I understand.

We wouldn't have had this fixture this season if people had balls and common sense. Boycott may not work now, but its all about whether you individually want to support Academy sides into the lower leagues, which ultimately endangers the future of your Football Club. Very strong words - but anyone who attends this game is quite frankly an embarrassment to Oxford United.

It's an inconvenient truth that attending games in this competiton is contributing to the extinction of clubs like ours. I know they are strong words, but in my opinion this competition in its current guise endangers our very existence further down the line.

Absolute rubbish. It's your opinion that this endangers the future of our club. You have no right to call fans who travel to support our team an embarrassment. Disgraceful comment.

They haven't been allowed to play at home until this round.

Really????why have these words made me angry ... I will watch Oxford when I want to and where I want to , the boycott debate was held last year so you are a bore and your post is .... quite frankly an embarrassment to Oxford United...don't go if you don't want to , but don't you dare label me and others that do want to go...

I just think that having 64 fans at Stevenage v Yeovil (or some other shite fixture) doesnt send any kind of a message if you then take 1000+ to Chelsea U23s away. It sort of says, "yeah we're against the idea of U23 teams... until we get a chance to play them!" I take your point, but I do think the fans have some influence, and that even if their boycotts are ignored, they can be used by the powers that be as an excuse for the continuation of the format ("Look, they love having U23 teams in the competition, look how many fans they brought!"). No need to make it easy for them.
The clubs had a chance to vote against this...the clubs chose to go with it and took the money, end of discussion.

Back
Top Bottom