+++ 04/09/2018 OUFC v Fulham U21 Match Day Thread +++

I enjoyed the match last night. say what you want about the competition however it was a great game for us, we needed to continue that momentum, keep the unbeaten run going and weve managed to blood a couple of young lads along the way in Lopes and Spasov. Lopes had a great game by the way, didnt think he was lightweight at all, was very strong and played one ball across the pitch which an aged pro wouldve been proud of.

also given us the chance to play players such as Dickie, Mcmahon and long, who havent been in the team recently, smith got his first goal for the club, I was so hoping Obika would score too but it wasnt to be.

all positives

You’re not wrong. I saw O’Dowda on his debut against Charlton (League or FA Cup, I can’t remember which) and he was a spindly kid who needed to fill out.

The difference was build however. O’Dowda has always been tall and had that room to bulk up. Baptiste is already a physical presence but I’m not sure Napa has that. He could end up like Defoe and make up for his lack of size with other attributes instead so as I said there is time yet.

Raheem Sterling is hardly big but he can hold his own physically. Napa needs to develop his upper body strength.

• React
Reactions: MJB
I enjoyed the match last night. say what you want about the competition however it was a great game for us, we needed to continue that momentum, keep the unbeaten run going and weve managed to blood a couple of young lads along the way in Lopes and Spasov. Lopes had a great game by the way, didnt think he was lightweight at all, was very strong and played one ball across the pitch which an aged pro wouldve been proud of.

also given us the chance to play players such as Dickie, Mcmahon and long, who havent been in the team recently, smith got his first goal for the club, I was so hoping Obika would score too but it wasnt to be.

all positives
Mmm. Lopes had a 'great' game. Really? For a 16 year old he did reasonably well. Really not sure he had a great game though.

Mmm. Lopes had a 'great' game. Really? For a 16 year old he did reasonably well. Really not sure he had a great game though.

Looking at the highlights only, I did like that he competed well for the ball at the back post. Obika should take note and get in the box to compete.

Think Rochdale one-upped us on youth last night, had a fifteen (15!) year old lad make his debut + get MOTM

Well from what I saw in the extended highlights I thought Lopes did extremely well. Not scared to put himself about, seemed to be involved a lot and one through ball to present Henry with a great goal scoring chance was brilliant. Jeez what do people expect? When was the last time we had 16 year olds knocking on the door of the first team and playing without fear when given the chance? I know it’s early days but to have kids like Lopes and Spasov coming through is extremely exciting. Who wouldve seen that happening as little as 12 months ago? The future is bright, well done to Robinson on giving them a chance.

Just wondering how long we’ll manage to hang on to Dan Harris? Whatever he’s doing with the academy, I hope he keeps on doing it!

Last edited:
What extra would you be expecting from a 16 year old?

What extra would you be expecting from a 16 year old?

I expect nothing more and think that he is a very good prospect. He did pretty well if you are comparing him with the other OUFC players (again very good for a 16 year old). I was purely suggesting that he didn't have a great game. The best players on the pitch in my view were Holmes (by a distance) and Brannaghan.

So maybe in the American terminology these days they had a super great game!!

Well from what I saw in the extended highlights I thought Lopes did extremely well. Not scared to put himself about, seemed to be involved a lot and one through ball to present Henry with a great goal scoring chance was brilliant. Jeez what do people expect? When was the last time we had 16 year olds knocking on the door of the first team and playing without fear when given the chance? I know it’s early days but to have kids like Lopes and Spasov coming through is extremely exciting. Who wouldve seen that happening as little as 12 months ago? The future is bright, well done to Robinson on giving them a chance.

Just wondering how long we’ll manage to hang on to Dan Harris? Whatever he’s doing with the academy, I hope he keeps on doing it!

He seems a top guy (he was very impressive at the Oxvox meeting when he first joined and appears to have really galvanised the youth set up.

Hopefully he stays for a long time.

Yes that’s
I expect nothing more and think that he is a very good prospect. He did pretty well if you are comparing him with the other OUFC players (again very good for a 16 year old). I was purely suggesting that he didn't have a great game. The best players on the pitch in my view were Holmes (by a distance) and Brannaghan.

So maybe in the American terminology these days they had a super great game!!
He had an awesome game ?

When was the last time we had 16 year olds knocking on the door of the first team and playing without fear when given the chance
This is exactly what I thought. We've had a crap start this season but the long term future looks very bright.

Back
Top Bottom