Charlton away, best away days and football specials

Brentford away in the early 80s, taking over the pub on the corner and jumping behind the bar and pouring our own beer.

Wycombe was funny when Matty Elliott had odds of 25-1 to score first with the onsite bookie. He was bricking it with the away fans chanting "Matty Elliott, he's 25 to 1" before the game. I suspect the bookie would have been in trouble if ME had scored first, but iirc he got sent off instead.

The Sheffield United one, was that a free kick by the tanned one? I remember a midweek one where Nicky Banger scored the winning goal with a free kick and Paul Gerrard pulled off one of the best saves I have ever seen live. Also, amusing was drinking in the Cricketers next to the ground as it was like going back in time 20 years+. Really confused them as one of our group was from Thirsk. The Barmaid also left a 2 inch head on each pint and that wasn't just for us as she didn't discriminate as the locals got the same treatment. :D

Elliott got sent off the season before where we lost 1-0.
Yeah, the Nicky Banger goal was a Friday night game. And that Paul Gerrard save...my word!

Generally most London games are good days out, quite local and always plenty of boozers to visit!

Going along with 9 mates, none of which are Oxford fans but all looking forward to the day out.
What pub are people going to before? Drinking around London Bridge or nearer to the ground?

Same here and I make most games work permitting. Not being funny but you only watch the U's if they are in London?

I mostly work weekends, and if I get to go home the priority would be hanging out with my folks. I'm taking a holiday day to make the game this Saturday.

Should also mention that before Chelsea, the last Oxford match I went to was at home to Halifax in 2001. So I'm definitely not a bigger and better fan than you. Apologies for that.

I just asked a question so you can keep your ltitle toys in your little pram..

I just asked a question so you can keep your ltitle toys in your little pram..

You questioned my commitment, I confirmed I didn't have any. I really don't mind not being "Oxford United's Official #1 Fan"

I'm happy 'following' the team, certainly not throwing any toys. However you appeared to have your back up that not everyone is on your level when it comes to match attendance.

Few ales in Borough Market from 11am ish. Hope to see some fellow yellows there !!

I still remember beating them in the League Cup there under Atkins. Well, it was a 0-0 draw and we went through on pens. But still - they were Premiership at the time, and we were League Two, and it was a cracking jump-up-and-down-hugging-random-strangers type of finish so fond memories. The beginning of the Jefferson Louis Era as well.

Anyways, it's likely to be my only in-person game of the season so I'm looking forward to it greatly, even if expectations aren't that high.
Hi Tony. Hope all's well, how come it's your first match of the season? I've met you at away days before, and thought you went to quite a few games.

It might be a sense of post Transfer window relief or the fact I’ve just had 3 hours in the pub......but I feel a minor sense of euphoria as we approach the Charlton game. Ready and keen to vocally and enthusiastically get behind the team - players and management. We have made some quality signings and look stronger now than a few weeks ago. We have a new manager in Faz who will put his heart and soul into the team and results. Rose tinted glasses fully settled I accept but I feel a positive sense going forward and look forward to a good day out in the smoke. Roll on Saturday. Need a good sing song!

Going along with 9 mates, none of which are Oxford fans but all looking forward to the day out.
What pub are people going to before? Drinking around London Bridge or nearer to the ground?
Try the Rose of Denmark - left out of the station. 3 mins from the ground. Been here a couple of times before. OK London boozer.

What’s the closest tube station - or easiest way of getting there from Paddington. Last went there about 1978 and to be honest it’s gone a bit hazey!! Can remember was an evening game standing on that massive old open terrace and a bit of a hairy walk back to the coaches but that’s about it!

What’s the closest tube station - or easiest way of getting there from Paddington. Last went there about 1978 and to be honest it’s gone a bit hazey!! Can remember was an evening game standing on that massive old open terrace and a bit of a hairy walk back to the coaches but that’s about it!

1) Underground to London Bridge. Paddington to Baker Street (5 mins) on the Bakerloo line, and then Baker Street to London Bridge on the Jubilee Line (10 mins) Then a train to Charlton which is about 10 mins

2)Paddington to Waterloo on the Bakerloo and then train from Waterloo to Charlton

Option 2) for me.

Last time I went to Charlton for a league game was the 3-3 in ‘85.

Back
Top Bottom