Bolton’s Problems Continue

Not aware of this. But if true, technically the league is still in operation (playoffs). Not sure that makes a difference.
I thought it was something to do with clubs waiting to see if they would stay in there respective league at the end of the season before going into adminso they wouldn't be relegated if they lost 10 points by going into adminduring the season, although Bolton were relegated anyway so I'm not sure, but sure I heard that somewhere.

Not aware of this. But if true, technically the league is still in operation (playoffs). Not sure that makes a difference.

according to the EFL website, weekend of the 4th and 5th was the "final day of the season" which would suggest the season is over from that day - but as you say, the play off's contiune - and the points deduction was confirmed for begining of next season.

as Bolton were always going down, and financially more than likely going to end up in administration - surely Ken Anderson/Fidalw should of done this sooner, took the 12 point deduction in the 18/19 season and any potential "saviour" would be more forthcoming knowing they start next season on level playing field.

There's a cut off date some weeks before the end of the season (the fourth Thursday in March) to stop clubs (as you say Bazzer) going into administration when they are already relegated and thus making the points deduction meaningless. Leeds did exactly that and it led to a rule change.

Edit - well obviously it doesn't stop them going into administration, but it means that the penalty in carried over to the next season. As far as I can find there is no provision to relegate a club two divisions if the go into admin in the off season.

Last edited:
Glasgow Rangers went from top to bottom didn't they? I know they are a funny lot up there!

Can they sell the players? They’re able to leave for free due to breach of contract I think.
True but the players are ranked top of the list of creditors so will be paid first by the administrator. Doubt many will walk away now and potentially lose what they're owed.

according to the EFL website, weekend of the 4th and 5th was the "final day of the season" which would suggest the season is over from that day - but as you say, the play off's contiune - and the points deduction was confirmed for begining of next season.

as Bolton were always going down, and financially more than likely going to end up in administration - surely Ken Anderson/Fidalw should of done this sooner, took the 12 point deduction in the 18/19 season and any potential "saviour" would be more forthcoming knowing they start next season on level playing field.

They didn't do it as there was still the chance of a takeover (which turned into a farce) and I think an element of brinkmanship as neither Fildraw or Ken Anderson wanted the cost of administration to fall onto them so they both procrastinated.

Well if you read that link I posted, it's a pretty tangled web - and if the club was owned by the 'related business' then it's semantics. The rest of the SPL certainly thought so at the time.

Back
Top Bottom