League One Pompey vs Bolton

Steve Gilbert

1 nil Pompey just before half time. A good watch so far and I have to say on this showing we did well to get a draw vs Bolton the other week!

We have a lot to do to be as good as these 2 teams.

Two very good teams evenly matched it makes for an interesting game you could easily see these two finishing top two this season

No shame in missing out on the top 2 by sides better than us.
I still think we will make the play offs depending on our transfer window but we will have to recruit wisely. I can’t see Stevenage staying the course of the season and think Blackpool will be in the play offs.
Win tomorrow and we go 3rd and have a 5 point breathing gap between us and Barnsley in 7th.

Yeah, they both look a class above us. The Bolton striker who missed from a few yards out will be playing for us though come January, he's got what we are looking for.....
Sure we are not going for Haaland as well?

Don't like saying it but impressed with Pompey, they stopped Bolton playing their usual game. You could tell they worked on their setpieces to take Santos out of the game for the first goal. Stark contrast to ourselves where we aimlessly lumped it into the box and he won every header.

They said on the commentary that Bolton and Pompey have 4 Aussies in their squads between them. Plymouth have a NZ striker also, I wonder if they are waters we could fish in the January window, especially with DB's knowledge of those leagues?

Pompey showing how you play with a high press to stop Bolton playing through them, all players on the same page unlike our half arsed attempt against Peterborough at the weekend.

Also Pompey attack with numbers and have willing runners going in different directions and a striker who can hold up play, cause the centre backs a problem by being strong and when a ball is flashed across the penalty area anticipates it and is there for tap in.

Finally they put in dangerous crosses from corners and free kicks rather than a floaty one from Brannagan that the keeper can take a second to scratch his a**e before coming out to claim the ball.

Hope Des was watching that game as he would hopefully learn a little bit.

Pompey showing how you play with a high press to stop Bolton playing through them, all players on the same page unlike our half arsed attempt against Peterborough at the weekend.

Also Pompey attack with numbers and have willing runners going in different directions and a striker who can hold up play, cause the centre backs a problem by being strong and when a ball is flashed across the penalty area anticipates it and is there for tap in.

Finally they put in dangerous crosses from corners and free kicks rather than a floaty one from Brannagan that the keeper can take a second to scratch his a**e before coming out to claim the ball.

Hope Des was watching that game as he would hopefully learn a little bit.
Sounds very simple and easy to solve .
It does help though,if you have all the tools in the toolbox.
I believe we have 7 fewer pieces , versus those in place before DB arrived .

I believe we have 7 fewer pieces , versus those in place before DB arrived .
Out of interest what do you think we are lacking since Des took over from Manning considering we have the same squad?

Yes we obviously lack a league one standard centre forward but the current crop should be capable of hunting and pressing as a team. I didn't see Bolton or Pompey tonight passing sideways and backwards constantly at snails pace they both tried to attack and make things happen.

'I'm expecting a big reaction from all tomorrow night and there is no reason why there shouldn't be if this current crop have anything about them.

Out of interest what do you think we are lacking since Des took over from Manning considering we have the same squad?
We are absolutely missing a couple of strikers. That became even more evident watching Pompey back up CF yesterday.
We also are clearly missing a pacey left winger with 2 out injured ( hopefully Murphy is beginning to come good)

I was very impressed with Pompey I was actually a little bit jealous of what we could have had if mous had stayed here and KR fucked off . Mous has done an amazing job there that team he's built the style of football they play.. we've got a good squad but I think in the end we will come up short BUT we've only had one window to sort the mess out so after January who knows we could be even better

Back
Top Bottom