Away Match Day Thread 9/11/22 L1: Shrewsbury Town v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually felt a bit sorry for Eastwood last night, he seemed absolutely determined to get a clean sheet. But you can't concede so many corners and free kicks around the box and not expect at least one or two good chances to come against you and eventually we were hit by the law of averages. It is very frustrating because only 4 teams have scored more than once against us in the league this season (and we won one of those against Exeter).

Compared to the rubbish served up in early part of the season we at least do now seem a hard team to beat. For sure it is not pretty to watch in fact it is incredibly boring. But it is going to be difficult to remove the manager now based on results as they have improved compared to before even if the entertainment value is zero. This is not a Robinson side that you would normally associate with Robinson. But it is all Robinson's fault completely with his useless transfer strategy in the Summer that we have not got a team that we expected to see.

The problem is that even when we had a good Robinson team we still fell short. The team we have now is unlikely to get dragged into a relegation scrap and is unlikely to challenge for the play offs. The season is written off already and we are stuck as a mid table side playing turgid boring football with plenty of 1-0s and 1-1s for the next 6 months. So the risk is that you change Robinson and the new manager messes it up and we do have to deal with a relegation fight because under Robinson I don't think this will be the case. Or you take the gamble with a new manager and hope that we can move forward and get ready for next season with some fresh ideas. I'm starting to lean towards ensuring the team is not at risk of relegation so keeping the manager, writing off this season and changing it at the end of the season unless we genuinely do get into a relegation scrap when an immediate change has to be made. It's not ideal and it is not going to be pretty to watch but I am starting to come to terms with it, still going to the home games but all the while the performance and entertainment is awful not planning on travelling the country and wasting my time going to away matches. And hoping next season we are still in League 1 and starting with a new manager in charge who knows how to spend a top 3 budget and can bring in good players for the positions we need to be a serious promotion candidate in 2023/24.

The problem is giving Robinson another transfer window could saddle us with another couple of crocked attackers for next season, if the plan is to see out this season then January signings will have to be limited to loans.

I can't see a new manager turning us around and getting us promotion next season (even if appointed now) as their is just far to much work to be done to this squad. Robinsons summer was just so bad that he messed us up for two seasons, hopefully next will be better football and signs of progression though.

‘Nervously entering fhe arena’ again as we go four games unbeaten. 😏

When one win in four is an improvement though you know what went before was bad.

We have become a side who are hard to beat (hard to watch at times as well) which considering the squad we have and the position we are in is probably sensible, we are not footballing ourselves to the play offs but we could to relegation, just not good enough to play the silky stuff, playing this way we should have enough to stay up.

Whether that is much of an achievement for Robinson after 4 and a half years in the job and some entertaining footballing sides that fell short before this one is a personal view i guess, for me it feels like he has taken us back to his first year here.

When one win in four is an improvement though you know what went before was bad.

We have become a side who are hard to beat (hard to watch at times as well) which considering the squad we have and the position we are in is probably sensible, we are not footballing ourselves to the play offs but we could to relegation, just not good enough to play the silky stuff, playing this way we should have enough to stay up.

Whether that is much of an achievement for Robinson after 4 and a half years in the job and some entertaining footballing sides that fell short before this one is a personal view i guess, for me it feels like he has taken us back to his first year here.
Three away from home. In isolation it ain’t bad at all.

I cannot see us getting much from Saturday though, our only goal threats won’t be on the pitch.

If Long can start I would play Chef on the right wing. He’s one of the few we have with pace.

Yeah that’s fair. They’re successful business people and I’m sure have looked at it from all angles. Reality is that it’ll cost to get rid and a new man would want x, y and z in January which will likely cost too. It’s highly highly unlikely there’ll be any sort of return on that this year, other than maybe some slightly better attendances.

So maybe they’re just being pragmatic and thinking we can do what we need to do in January. If we have another bad window, we can get rid in March and still be well set for next season with more cash in the bank.
They have owned previous clubs, so fully know the score and the costs involved in getting rid of a liability.

You know what to do then...............

Not quite sure what you’re suggesting here, Colin old chap. Only people who like your posts should read the forum? Or no-one should tell you how they feel?

You are an Oxford united fan, no better or worse than the rest of us. And given you’d just criticised another fan because you didn’t like their posting style I’m sure you can take on board some helpful feedback.

I’m not sure anybody thinks KR haters are negative ungrateful idiots and I’m not sure anyone “hates” KR at all
It’s about opinions and some thought KR was a bad appointment from the start some changed their mind some still want him to continue although that may be very few now
But in all honesty if you post on here you have to be prepared to be shot down. I have in the past but I bear no ill will for someone having a different point of view
And some of us weren’t convinced at the start, then started to warm to him, before falling back to their original position when he didn’t address his past errors (wing-backs in particular), and wasted instead huge sums on players, as a collective, that risked everything on most staying fit, when few had in the past.

He hasn’t been unlucky as he claims, he put all his money on the roulette wheel and lost!

Not quite sure what you’re suggesting here, Colin old chap. Only people who like your posts should read the forum? Or no-one should tell you how they feel?

You are an Oxford united fan, no better or worse than the rest of us. And given you’d just criticised another fan because you didn’t like their posting style I’m sure you can take on board some helpful feedback.

As an OUFC employee, I'm sure he is better informed than the rest of us.

You are correct Bazzer, I'm not an employee of OUFC. I think most on here know what my involvement is, and has been.

Then I must be in the minority. The impression was given by your inclusion on the OUFC photograph and various posts that you have made.

Then I must be in the minority. The impression was given by your inclusion on the OUFC photograph and various posts that you have made.
I'm an Associate Director, rather an employee, that's why I was in the team photo. Like you, I'm retired.

I've been involved in the stadium move, and a few other things, which is what I've (mostly) posted about, although I try to only post where necessary to correct some of the misinformation that crops up from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom