Away Match Build Up 10/09/2022: L1 - Shrewsbury Town v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading a room is easy. Reading a nation is much more difficult. Those who shout loudest on social media tend to be disproportionately heard; and because people often surround themselves with people who think like them, they assume that everyone shares their opinion.

For example, the FSA thinks most fans wanted the games to go ahead:

‘The FSA, which represents fans in England and Wales, encouraged football authorities to proceed with matches so that fans could pay respect to the Queen, as they did at West Ham and Manchester United on Thursday in European competition fixtures… “Our view, which we shared with the football authorities, is that most supporters would have liked to go to games this weekend and pay their respect to the Queen alongside their fellow fans.”’

Maybe they’re wrong, and you’re right, but I’d like to know how you’ve come to that conclusion beyond ‘reading the room’, whatever that means.

And reading Reading is just an unpleasant way to spend time… in my opinion the games should have gone ahead but it is a little bit a case of damned if they do, damned if they don’t. Whatever we’re doing this weekend, the Queen should be remembered fondly and we’ll be back at the footie soon!

Perhaps you’re overthinking this one, however the ‘view’ of the FSA is based on what?
But ‘reading the room’? Look at the extent of the coverage on television, look at the reaction and response from across the world to this event, it’s reach is global, the impact and effect of the news is worldwide, reaching every person of every social class and background, that’s a big room. Now you can call me old school but going to a football match two days after the death of our Queen, the longest serving monarch in our history, who gave her life to this country, is way, way down on my list of priorities. I couldn’t care less about a game, and it is, a game.
It’s massively disproportionate to cry that you’re being hard done by because you can’t go to a football match, that’s just disrespectful, but it’s also a sad indictment of our times that the nation isn’t collectively showing respect by cancelling all sport this weekend.
I think this is where we differ - I have massive, massive respect for the queen, but I don’t think that cancelling sport shows respect. It’s a decision taken by a small group of people, forced on others. Thousands of West Ham fans spontaneously breaking into a heartfelt rendition of ‘God save the Queen?’ Now that’s respect. A weekend of football like no other, where every single fan comes together to thank her for everything she’s done? That’s respect.

But that’s just my view. I get that other people think differently, and that’s fine. But you still haven’t given me a convincing argument as to how you know that the ‘vast majority’, in your words, would rather have had your version of respect than mine.

And that, in my view, is a sad indictment and reflection of the most vocal posters on here, and perhaps of society nowadays, that respect for the Monarchy and all they achieve is sadly absent.

Not angry my friend, just a bit sad that a few vocal posters on here feel they have to shout about how different they are to the majority in the UK who respect the Queen and all she did for them.
Just because some people think football should go ahead doesn't mean they didn't respect the Queen.

And that, in my view, is a sad indictment and reflection of the most vocal posters on here, and perhaps of society nowadays, that respect for the Monarchy and all they achieve is sadly absent.

Not angry my friend, just a bit sad that a few vocal posters on here feel they have to shout about how different they are to the majority in the UK who respect the Queen and all she did for them.
I think people show their respect in different ways. For me personally, whilst I can recognise her achievements and longevity, after the initial shock of the news and processing the change, there wasn’t much left for me to do other than to get on with my life and my work. Because after all, this is a person that I never met and didn’t have any history with, so whilst there is that respect there, there’s just no personal connection like if I’d lost a loved one.

Sure, people could call me selfish and entitled, but surely the point of life and living is to enjoy what little leisure time we have, especially when the world already dictates we have to work 5 days out of 7 if we want to afford to survive.

Not everyone shares your view of the monarchy though, some for it, some against it, most indifferent to it.

Again, there is no disrespect for the queen on here, no one has said a bad word about her.

I’m not a fan of the royal family but at the same time can respect the passing of a woman who was a prominent figure for 70 years.
I don’t agree with a lot of the media coverage considering the current climate we are living in but also wouldn’t expect anything less.
People will mourn in their own way if they want to but I’m not sure cancelling everything is the right decision. It feels like we having it forced on us to mourn in a certain way.
There are many people out there that don’t agree with the monarchy like myself but the vast majority can respect the ones that do.
Social media has shown the best and the worst of society in the last 24 hours and it does show, yet again how split this country is right now.

Me personally, would of played the fixtures this weekend and let people have the choice whether they wanted to attend or not but the ones that would of gone, I’m pretty certain, would of shown a high level of compassion towards the Queen.

Not everyone shares your view of the monarchy though, some for it, some against it, most indifferent to it.

Again, there is no disrespect for the queen on here, no one has said a bad word about her.
‘Very privileged old lady’ is respectful then? Bloody hell.
The very fact that you can’t accept and respect the decision of the FA/EFL without whining about it is, in my view, disrespectful.

I’m not a fan of the royal family but at the same time can respect the passing of a woman who was a prominent figure for 70 years.
I don’t agree with a lot of the media coverage considering the current climate we are living in but also wouldn’t expect anything less.
People will mourn in their own way if they want to but I’m not sure cancelling everything is the right decision. It feels like we having it forced on us to mourn in a certain way.
There are many people out there that don’t agree with the monarchy like myself but the vast majority can respect the ones that do.
Social media has shown the best and the worst of society in the last 24 hours and it does show, yet again how split this country is right now.

Me personally, would of played the fixtures this weekend and let people have the choice whether they wanted to attend or not but the ones that would of gone, I’m pretty certain, would of shown a high level of compassion towards the Queen.

What media coverage don’t you agree with ? What do you want ? Trevor Macdonald announcing it with one of his ‘and finally ..’ on news at 10 ? …..

And quite what the hell the current climate has to do with it im not too sure.

There isn't a "vast majority" view on here from a relatively small sample of fairly vocal football fans or a obscure football forum.

So I don't think anyone can "read the room" with any confidence. I understand the reason why games have been cancelled (but not why other sports will go ahead) and I understand why it's important to for others to maintain some sort of normality during this time.

Ultimately the decision has been made and we can either take time out to reflect, remember and show respect in whichever way you wish, or we look ahead to a difficult game on Tuesday, or both.

This thread is in danger of losing 'respect' for each other let alone the monarchy which is unnecessary no matter how strongly people feel.

The decision has been made so we may as well embrace it for what it is, regardless of whether it was the right call.

Ultimately, if they’d have played as normal we’d have had the reverse debate as it’s impossible to please everybody.

It is a massive shame, in my eyes, as I think it’s a big opportunity missed for football to use its global platform to to take the lead in giving bold tributes to the Queen and allow people to celebrate her life in a much bigger way than on their sofa at home, should they wish.

No one was confident we was gonna win there with our current available squad.

Let’s hope we have back Moore, Taylor, Seddon, Anderson, Baldock & Murphy for when it’s rearranged!

No one was confident we was gonna win there with our current available squad.

Let’s hope we have back Moore, Taylor, Seddon, Anderson, Baldock & Murphy for when it’s rearranged!
Last game of the season

Accusing people who want to pay their respects via the powerful medium of football as being disrespectful to her memory is out of order.

Especially when most othe activities are going ahead and showing their respects appropriately. You’ve given no explanation of why football is different.

Rethink in the morning my friend 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom