Away Match Day Thread 9/08/2023 Carabao R1: Bristol City v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Atm I'll probably err on the side of caution and abstain in saying too much regarding the last two performances and for the moment I will leave it at that.

However, since my last visit to Ashton Gate City have made giant strides in making their ground especially around the home stands (inside and out) into something that with any OUFC officials visiting last night I would be very disappointed if our geezers hadn't taken plenty of notes.

The experience i thought for the home fans before the match was pretty impressive especially for a 1st round cup match albeit it was a nice warm evening which of course helps. But, to me it showed a complete disparity to the Eileen gaggle some 5.4 miles away in how/why this cider gang are so much further ahead in stadia/status than the 15 stand pirate malarkey's located in Horfield. It must be gutting at times seeing your city neighbours whooping it up in a higher league, a three quarter finished modern 27k stadium especially when most of the gas's stands could easily be blown away in a single gale force wind lol.

Nevertheless, I do hope for LM's sake that we don't this coming Saturday stutter and scramble to a draw or God forbid we accumulate another loss especially with two tough away days to come.

COYY'S

Yeah no, this was a cup game against a Championship side and we’re two games in.

Don’t mistake my positivity for blind faith, I don’t think we’re the finished article but I see enough that makes me think we’ll get there.
Yeah no, this was an embarrassing defeat against a side that is only one league above.

It’s a heavier defeat than we suffered in two games against Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City, or against Arteta’s Arsenal.

B*****s to taking any positives from a 5-1 defeat against anyone, let alone Bristol ****ing City. There aren’t positives, no aspect of it was good enough.

The only conceivable positive that will ever emerge is to look back at it from some future point and say “well thank Christ we realised that wasn’t up to standard”.

I’m not calling for Manning to go, but I don’t see anything intellectual about pretending Bristol City did anything other than humble us.

Atm I'll probably err on the side of caution and abstain in saying too much regarding the last two performances and for the moment I will leave it at that.

However, since my last visit to Ashton Gate City have made giant strides in making their ground especially around the home stands (inside and out) into something that with any OUFC officials visiting last night I would be very disappointed if our geezers hadn't taken plenty of notes.

The experience i thought for the home fans before the match was pretty impressive especially for a 1st round cup match albeit it was a nice warm evening which of course helps. But, to me it showed a complete disparity to the Eileen gaggle some 5.4 miles away in how/why this cider gang are so much further ahead in stadia/status than the 15 stand pirate malarkey's located in Horfield. It must be gutting at times seeing your city neighbours whooping it up in a higher league, a three quarter finished modern 27k stadium especially when most of the gas's stands could easily be blown away in a single gale force wind lol.

Nevertheless, I do hope for LM's sake that we don't this coming Saturday stutter and scramble to a draw or God forbid we accumulate another loss especially with two tough away days to come.

COYY'S
Like others, I was mightily impressed by the concourse offer for both home and away fans.
A vision of what our future off the pitch might look like.
Here hoping,over the coming season, we see a glimmer of what could be- on the field of play .

Looks like you know your way around the intricacies of the transfer market, can you share what we’ve done so far to sign another forward in addition to Harris, and a left back, and what we could have done better? Love to know what the mistakes are that first team coach Manning and the recruitment team have made.

Not saying I know the intricacies of the transfer market, so having said that it’s not my job, but to answer your question, I’d say the mistakes are not achieving the target priorities so far/getting them across the line.

Yeah no, this was an embarrassing defeat against a side that is only one league above.

It’s a heavier defeat than we suffered in two games against Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City, or against Arteta’s Arsenal.

B*****s to taking any positives from a 5-1 defeat against anyone, let alone Bristol ****ing City. There aren’t positives, no aspect of it was good enough.

The only conceivable positive that will ever emerge is to look back at it from some future point and say “well thank Christ we realised that wasn’t up to standard”.

I’m not calling for Manning to go, but I don’t see anything intellectual about pretending Bristol City did anything other than humble us.
There are some positives to take, albeit there are a lot more things to work on and improve. But to say there are no positives at all just isn’t true.

If we lost 8-0 completely abandoning our style of play I’d be more willing to agree there were no positives at all, hell I’d even say last season’s 1-0 defeat to Rovers had no positives and that was a closer scoreline! Looking at the score margin alone when assessing a team’s long-term development is too simplistic in my eyes.

We created many chances, having 13 shots. We didn’t panic and deviate from our game plan after trailing, and we looked fine playing out from the back for the most part.

The best time to fail and learn is as early as possible, which for us is start of the season with the window open. I’d be more worried if we had a great start then our weaknesses were exposed after the window shuts.

If we lost 8-0 completely abandoning our style of play I’d be more willing to agree there were no positives at all, hell I’d even say last season’s 1-0 defeat to Rovers had no positives and that was a closer scoreline!
You’d be concerned if we tried to adapt our approach when the opposition was scoring freely, but because we stuck to our guns and carried on conceding, you think we will be alright?

Is the aim of football to complete passes? I thought the idea was to occasionally outscore other teams.
Looking at the score margin alone when assessing a team’s long-term development is too simplistic in my eyes.
And looking past an absolute hammering is sleep walking towards a difficult season in my eyes.
We created many chances, having 13 shots. We didn’t panic and deviate from our game plan after trailing,
Didn’t deviate from the game plan that got us hammered, and that’s a positive?
and we looked fine playing out from the back for the most part.
If we ignore that we conceded five times more than we scored?
The best time to fail and learn is as early as possible, which for us is start of the season with the window open.
Arguably it’d be pre season, or alternatively we could actually have a season where we just start well and carry on.
I’d be more worried if we had a great start then our weaknesses were exposed after the window shuts.
This is where you know you’re overthinking it, because it comes off sounding like it is a good thing that we are losing games.

Maybe if we won some games early on, or at least didn’t get absolutely hammered, it’d indicate that we had a better team?

Winning seems far more indicative of quality than having lots of possession, or having a ‘plan we stick to’ regardless of how many we concede.

By all means, if we do get some points on board, keep a critical eye on what you can improve. But far better to improve with points and performances already earned.

Brutal, but true. Great post.

You’d be concerned if we tried to adapt our approach when the opposition was scoring freely, but because we stuck to our guns and carried on conceding, you think we will be alright?

Is the aim of football to complete passes? I thought the idea was to occasionally outscore other teams.

And looking past an absolute hammering is sleep walking towards a difficult season in my eyes.

Didn’t deviate from the game plan that got us hammered, and that’s a positive?

If we ignore that we conceded five times more than we scored?

Arguably it’d be pre season, or alternatively we could actually have a season where we just start well and carry on.

This is where you know you’re overthinking it, because it comes off sounding like it is a good thing that we are losing games.

Maybe if we won some games early on, or at least didn’t get absolutely hammered, it’d indicate that we had a better team?

Winning seems far more indicative of quality than having lots of possession, or having a ‘plan we stick to’ regardless of how many we concede.

By all means, if we do get some points on board, keep a critical eye on what you can improve. But far better to improve with points and performances already earned.
Either you’re unwilling to understand my points or refusing to acknowledge them.

Not deviating from the game plan meant passing out from the back, looking to build up play and create chances that way (which we did, by the way), rather than panicking after going a goal or two down and hoiking it in the channel for a winger or O’Donkor to chase.

Also I do like the fact you’ve brought up the ‘passes don’t win you games, goals do’ argument which I expect to see a lot this season when we don’t win. But guess how you create goals: by passes! We created 13 shots in the game, so I’d say our passing was pretty good at creating goal-scoring opportunities, no?

You’re taking this game as a be-all and end-all without looking at the larger picture of the season and how Manning wants his players to play football, but apologies if that’s ‘overthinking’ for you.

Not saying I know the intricacies of the transfer market, so having said that it’s not my job, but to answer your question, I’d say the mistakes are not achieving the target priorities so far/getting them across the line.
Is that a ‘mistake’ though? Disappointing maybe, but Manning might have been on the phone every single day about a left back and just not been able to secure the signing, we don’t know. If he’s deliberately prioritised other positions then yes, maybe that is a mistake.

Either you’re unwilling to understand my points or refusing to acknowledge them.
Or I disagree with them.
Not deviating from the game plan meant passing out from the back, looking to build up play and create chances that way (which we did, by the way), rather than panicking after going a goal or two down and hoiking it in the channel for a winger or O’Donkor to chase.
Thank God we stuck to the plan, otherwise we might have been hammered.

The irony in you making the same point and apparently not understanding mine - when you get tonked 5-1, your game plan was wrong and needed to change.
Also I do like the fact you’ve brought up the ‘passes don’t win you games, goals do’ argument which I expect to see a lot this season when we don’t win. But guess how you create goals: by passes!
Great, we must have had tonnes of chances against Cambridge when we had 70% of passes?
We created 13 shots in the game, so I’d say our passing was pretty good at creating goal-scoring opportunities, no?
Mad because if you look at all of those shots, and how often players score from similar shots, then you’d have expected us to score slightly less than one goal.

If you look at all those shots, and how often we scored from those actual shots, we scored one goal.

So no, I wouldn’t say those passes were a particular positive from our 5-1 defeat.
You’re taking this game as a be-all and end-all without looking at the larger picture of the season
No, I’m not.

I specifically said I wasn’t calling for Manning to go, which would be the “end all”.

What I am saying is we shouldn’t sit here congratulating ourselves and thinking about all the positives we can take from a result which will always be a poor result.

Apologies for missing the last past of your post, deleted accidentally on my phone but I can see it’s inane babble about how smart you are.

Or I disagree with them.

Thank God we stuck to the plan, otherwise we might have been hammered.

The irony in you making the same point and apparently not understanding mine - when you get tonked 5-1, your game plan was wrong and needed to change.

Great, we must have had tonnes of chances against Cambridge when we had 70% of passes?

Mad because if you look at all of those shots, and how often players score from similar shots, then you’d have expected us to score slightly less than one goal.

If you look at all those shots, and how often we scored from those actual shots, we scored one goal.

So no, I wouldn’t say those passes were a particular positive from our 5-1 defeat.

No, I’m not.

I specifically said I wasn’t calling for Manning to go, which would be the “end all”.

What I am saying is we shouldn’t sit here congratulating ourselves and thinking about all the positives we can take from a result which will always be a poor result.

Apologies for missing the last past of your post, deleted accidentally on my phone but I can see it’s inane babble about how smart you are.
I think you’re mistaking me being able to take positives out of the game with me thinking this was an overall positive game. Of course it wasn’t good enough, but for me there are plenty of reasons to be hopeful it’ll click soon.

Maybe I’m just looking at it from a coaching angle rather than a fan aggressively desperate for a win every game. Apologies if that makes me come across as smart 😂

Is that a ‘mistake’ though? Disappointing maybe, but Manning might have been on the phone every single day about a left back and just not been able to secure the signing, we don’t know. If he’s deliberately prioritised other positions then yes, maybe that is a mistake.
There are surely players available that would be better suited than the players we are trying to fit in there at the moment, so in my eyes is a failure at present

And it’s not like they’ve not had enough time to rectify these gaps.

Last edited:
I think you’re mistaking me being able to take positives out of the game with me thinking this was an overall positive game. Of course it wasn’t good enough, but for me there are plenty of reasons to be hopeful it’ll click soon.
No part of me is doing that.

I understand your point perfectly, and I continue to disagree with it.

In fact, I’m running out of ways to say that we shouldn’t be looking to take any positives from such an overall negative (which is exactly what you just said is what you’re trying to do):

“we shouldn’t sit here congratulating ourselves and thinking about all the positives we can take from a result which will always be a poor result”

“B*****s to taking any positives from a 5-1 defeat against anyone, let alone Bristol ****ing City. There aren’t positives, no aspect of it was good enough.”

“I don’t see anything intellectual about pretending Bristol City did anything other than humble us”
Maybe I’m just looking at it from a coaching angle rather than a fan aggressively desperate for a win every game.
And this is what we come down to, you’re trying to sound like you write for the Athletic and end up defending a silly point of view to differentiate your voice.

Telling someone they did great when they didn’t is not good coaching. It would conceivably make sense if you know that you will never reach the standard you expected, and you’re trying to avoid long term damage for no gain. I don’t think anyone is willing to write off the season yet, so more effective coaching would be to learn hard lessons rather than talk essentially about how moral victories trump not getting hammered.
Apologies if that makes me come across as smart 😂
I can assure you that nothing I said suggested that.

I did say you’re trying to sound smart.

Appreciating the difference might come across as smart.

No part of me is doing that.

I understand your point perfectly, and I continue to disagree with it.

In fact, I’m running out of ways to say that we shouldn’t be looking to take any positives from such an overall negative (which is exactly what you just said is what you’re trying to do):

“we shouldn’t sit here congratulating ourselves and thinking about all the positives we can take from a result which will always be a poor result”

“B*****s to taking any positives from a 5-1 defeat against anyone, let alone Bristol ****ing City. There aren’t positives, no aspect of it was good enough.”

“I don’t see anything intellectual about pretending Bristol City did anything other than humble us”

And this is what we come down to, you’re trying to sound like you write for the Athletic and end up defending a silly point of view to differentiate your voice.

Telling someone they did great when they didn’t is not good coaching. It would conceivably make sense if you know that you will never reach the standard you expected, and you’re trying to avoid long term damage for no gain. I don’t think anyone is willing to write off the season yet, so more effective coaching would be to learn hard lessons rather than talk essentially about how moral victories trump not getting hammered.

I can assure you that nothing I said suggested that.

I did say you’re trying to sound smart.

Appreciating the difference might come across as smart.
Thanks for another essay of you repeating yourself, and thanks for copying and pasting your previous points to save me the time reading it.

Have been ignoring the personal digs up until now, but if you can’t get your point across without bringing stuff like that into the mix, I won’t be taking your points seriously.

Thanks for another essay of you repeating yourself, and thanks for copying and pasting your previous points to save me the time reading it.

Have been ignoring the personal digs up until now, but if you can’t get your point across without bringing stuff like that into the mix, I won’t be taking your points seriously.
Please don’t take anything I said personally, I know nothing about you.

I disagree with your point (and how you present it) - if I overstepped the mark then apologies.

Go Ox.

Back
Top Bottom