Away Match Day Thread 9/08/2023 Carabao R1: Bristol City v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think if you look at most of them Brannagan is involved, but doesn’t get flack like Brown
Ok Browns man eventually scored the first, but naive defensive work previously was the cause,
I love cam and no-one has done more in the last few years to keep us competitive but there's something in this. Blasphemy perhaps but might not be the end of the world if we have to find an alternative on Saturday.

Sky highlights:

First chance to us: perfect pass (edit: by Bodin ffs, bloody hell!) to put the striker in the clear, shouldn't have come inside, only put himself under pressure

BC goal 1: Our 7's asleep. McGuane gives up, probably couldn't have cut it out, but. Moore is pretty much in the same space as the keeper when he should be attacking the ball to pressure the cross, he's not been marking anybody, Thornily stays with his man, Brannagan runs towards the ball(!!!) and away from the runner(!!!!). Brown is aware what's going on and can't block the shot.

Our goal; good cross by Stevens, as any fu can see, well taken by Bodin.

BC goal 2: Shambles. Poor touch from Stevens. Then you've got 2 BC players, #1 runs into and across the box past Moore, who backs into the middle and away from Thorniley, without being disturbed or followed and runs behind Brown, #2 starts wide of Brown (who doesn't go with him possibly because the first bloke is heading his way) and misses the ball as it rolls past Thorniley & Moore. Brown, who seems to have started to go with #1, is off-balance and plays it weakly to #3, who's beel lurking on the edge of the box equidistant from Moore & Brannagan, who are watching the ball.

BC 3; standard sort of pass out to their left is easily played up the line past McGuane. 7 (Mills, I see) is lost, guess he'd gone forward. Moore(!!) is out on the wing and fluffs the tackle badly leaving BC winger in acres of space since Mills decided to watch rather than getting goalside. Not much urgency from Mills & McGuane to get back, Moore can't catch the runner. Oh God. Thorniley & Brown are marking forwards, Brown's even goalside. Brannagan's running back marking a MF who is going to our right, Brannagan looks then the MF straightens and slows which leaves Brannagan slowing and unable to get the ball that's cleverly played in front of him for the player he's been marking to run in and strike. I think that's 3 where Brannagan's the only midfielder anywhere to be seen.

BC 4; Well s**t! Brannagan plays it short back to Thorniley who rolled it gently to him. Thorniley's not favourite but doesn't make much of an effort to disrupt the BC player nicking it to an onrushing colleague who's free. Elliott gives another 'superhero in treacle' performance as the attaccker rounds the keeper and slots it into the net. I suppose as a bonus cavil Moore could have kept going full blast and might have pushed the attacker wide but I'm giving hims props for saving himself for the next disaster.

BC 5: The next disaster it is. f*****g rubbish. I don't know what the rest of our team was doing (confident they didn't either) but Brown watches the scorer point where he wants it and is still off-balance when the attacker moves to receive the pass for his free hit. There's about 4 of our lads watching, mouths agape, as 2 BC player run through then turning to watch Brown get almost respectably close to a block.

Summary:

1. That was unprofessional and inept. Did they give up after the second?

2. Go to 3 at the back. If Mills is a RWB he needs a rocket up him. Get a LWB before anything else.

3. Why are posters giving Brown s**t? From the highlights he looked like the only 1 on our team who was awake.

D- Must do better.

Last edited:
This assumes Harris' issue in front of goal is confidence rather than ability. His record and the comments on the Cardiff site were that he is a quick player that will give his all, but he can't hit a barn door. The assumption from many of us on here (it is the hope that kills us) is that this will suddenly change, dropping down a league. It is a possibility, but probably an unlikely scenario; hence, I hope therefore, and to be fair to Manning, that it wasn't goal scoring that he was signed for (offers something else, although from one game it is too early to be quite sure what that is).
He didn’t look short of confidence when he made and hammered home his goal against QPR. But that isn’t what you want to talk about is it.

How did you know it was Stevens for the second City goal but not know it was him with the assist?

I went on OUFC website and looked it up after the second city one and I forgot / was too dispirited to go back and edit. Fair point, I'll do it now.

Brown should go centre back thorniley is worst than Findlay
Brown is poor at times defending in the centre for such a big man, beaten too easily on Saturday for the header and again last night when an attacker easily gets in front of him. Hate to say it, but out of Brown, Thorniley and Findlay, when the defence is this porous I’d have the latter.

Not calling for his head, but we should’ve done better in this window, and addressed the gaps early, e.g. prioritise the positions that we’ve known have needed addressing for the last few seasons (full backs, striker and a proper CDM).

Again, I think we’ve made fundamental mistakes so far in the transfer window. Clubs that want to be successful, e.g. Plymouth, identified positions that needed to be prioritised, got business done early which then gave them a better chance of having a better start to the season.
Looks like you know your way around the intricacies of the transfer market, can you share what we’ve done so far to sign another forward in addition to Harris, and a left back, and what we could have done better? Love to know what the mistakes are that first team coach Manning and the recruitment team have made.

Brown is poor at times defending in the centre for such a big man, beaten too easily on Saturday for the header and again last night when an attacker easily gets in front of him. Hate to say it, but out of Brown, Thorniley and Findlay, when the defence is this porous I’d have the latter.
Findlay is your classic head it and kick it bloke which is not so bad in a team that doesn't know when it has overplayed. I think the problem is at the moment, we don't have a standout defender who is truly exceptional for a club at our level and gives confidence to everyone around them. We're jam-packed full of players who are performing at a distinctly average level or worse and all quite samey - they don’t compliment one another, they're all a bit 'meh' in the tackle, all a bit 'meh' on the ball, none of them particularly powerful or athletic and none of them have that aggression that you feel in the stands like they really want it - they've been getting beaten up for time now and Thorniley was never going to change that alone. We need to light a fire in them a bit to take some pride in clean sheets because at the moment we're a dog's dinner back there. Either that, or we need to invest in people who are born that way - Findlay was one before Robinson bled him try of any personality & confidence.

Last edited:
Looks like you know your way around the intricacies of the transfer market, can you share what we’ve done so far to sign another forward in addition to Harris, and a left back, and what we could have done better? Love to know what the mistakes are that first team coach Manning and the recruitment team have made.

He said what he thinks the mistakes are already using examples - "e.g. prioritise the positions that we’ve known have needed addressing for the last few seasons (full backs, striker and a proper CDM).". He then gave an example of a successful approach: Plymouth.

What's your problem?

Sky highlights:

First chance to us: perfect pass (edit: by Bodin ffs, bloody hell!) to put the striker in the clear, shouldn't have come inside, only put himself under pressure

BC goal 1: Our 7's asleep. McGuane gives up, probably couldn't have cut it out, but. Moore is pretty much in the same space as the keeper when he should be attacking the ball to pressure the cross, he's not been marking anybody, Thornily stays with his man, Brannagan runs towards the ball(!!!) and away from the runner(!!!!). Brown is aware what's going on and can't block the shot.

Our goal; good cross by Stevens, as any fu can see, well taken by Bodin.

BC goal 2: Shambles. Poor touch from Stevens. Then you've got 2 BC players, #1 runs into and across the box past Moore, who backs into the middle and away from Thorniley, without being disturbed or followed and runs behind Brown, #2 starts wide of Brown (who doesn't go with him possibly because the first bloke is heading his way) and misses the ball as it rolls past Thorniley & Moore. Brown, who seems to have started to go with #1, is off-balance and plays it weakly to #3, who's beel lurking on the edge of the box equidistant from Moore & Brannagan, who are watching the ball.

BC 3; standard sort of pass out to their left is easily played up the line past McGuane. 7 (Mills, I see) is lost, guess he'd gone forward. Moore(!!) is out on the wing and fluffs the tackle badly leaving BC winger in acres of space since Mills decided to watch rather than getting goalside. Not much urgency from Mills & McGuane to get back, Moore can't catch the runner. Oh God. Thorniley & Brown are marking forwards, Brown's even goalside. Brannagan's running back marking a MF who is going to our right, Brannagan looks then the MF straightens and slows which leaves Brannagan slowing and unable to get the ball that's cleverly played in front of him for the player he's been marking to run in and strike. I think that's 3 where Brannagan's the only midfielder anywhere to be seen.

BC 4; Well s**t! Brannagan plays it short back to Thorniley who rolled it gently to him. Thorniley's not favourite but doesn't make much of an effort to disrupt the BC player nicking it to an onrushing colleague who's free. Elliott gives another 'superhero in treacle' performance as the attaccker rounds the keeper and slots it into the net. I suppose as a bonus cavil Moore could have kept going full blast and might have pushed the attacker wide but I'm giving hims props for saving himself for the next disaster.

BC 5: The next disaster it is. f*****g rubbish. I don't know what the rest of our team was doing (confident they didn't either) but Brown watches the scorer point where he wants it and is still off-balance when the attacker moves to receive the pass for his free hit. There's about 4 of our lads watching, mouths agape, as 2 BC player run through then turning to watch Brown get almost respectably close to a block.

Summary:

1. That was unprofessional and inept. Did they give up after the second?

2. Go to 3 at the back. If Mills is a RWB he needs a rocket up him. Get a LWB before anything else.

3. Why are posters giving Brown s**t? From the highlights he looked like the only 1 on our team who was awake.

D- Must do better.
My take from yesterday to Saturday, not accounting for injury

Beadle

Long. Moore Brown

Mceachran

Goodrham McGuane Brannagan Browne

Rodrigues

Harris

ODonkers unfortunate and don’t think Harris is our solution centrally as only seen him right sided previously

Beadle

Long. Moore Brown

Mceachran

Rodrigues

Harris

ODonkers unfortunate and don’t think Harris is our solution centrally as only seen him right sided previously
Wide players are a concern but I’m splitting hairs because in terms of shape this is exactly how I’d send us in to battle going forward. Bodies in the middle where we’re most vulnerable, Rodrigues as high up as possible and plenty of width. 👏🏼

Ok
He said what he thinks the mistakes are already using examples - "e.g. prioritise the positions that we’ve known have needed addressing for the last few seasons (full backs, striker and a proper CDM).". He then gave an example of a successful approach: Plymouth.

What's your problem?
Hello @Paul Cannell , it’s been a while since you had a bitch about one of my posts; How does he know that we haven’t prioritised the obvious gaps? Let’s let him answer eh?

Beadle

Long. Moore Brown

Mceachran

Rodrigues

Harris

Wow. You need wingbacks, mate. :)

No pace at the back there; I'd stick Negru in for pace and keep Brown & Long since they aren't the slowest and read the game.

I don't think (having not seen him this season) that Browne could hack it at WB, not for long. I think Goodrham probably could. The feller whose name I can't remember might. Not sure McGuane's up for it or has the engine or something.

Can't comment on the rest although Rodrigues seems to have a ball on him.

Wow. You need wingbacks, mate. :)

No pace at the back there; I'd stick Negru in for pace and keep Brown & Long since they aren't the slowest and read the game.

I don't think (having not seen him this season) that Browne could hack it at WB, not for long. I think Goodrham probably could. The feller whose name I can't remember might. Not sure McGuane's up for it or has the engine or something.

Can't comment on the rest although Rodrigues seems to have a ball on him.
We have no wingbacks

Back
Top Bottom