Home Match Day Thread +++ 7/12/2019 OUFC V Shrewsbury Town +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit worried about our current midfield injury crisis. Indeed, we need to hold it together to keep momentum going into the busy Christmas period. Bit worried about the Wycombe game tbh.

That guy who constantly wants Fabio Sole to get some time in the first team could soon get his wish!

Absolutely nothing in attack from us today midfield were shocking, Sykes, fosu, Henry,hall did nothing today messing around at the back to much aswell like we are winning the game and cruising.

Sounded like I didn't miss much. Only plus points are we didn't lose and Sunderland lost. Think we need a bit more strength in depth to really challenge for the top 2 though.

I think we have the depth, problem is they’re all injured!!

Think Robbo made a mistake starting henry defensive mid. We missed the henry/cadden combo down the right. Shrewsbury defended very well and pressed us all over the pitch. Hall and Sykes are unfortunately not good enough.

Absolute rubbish today but not surprising with how bare bones we are. With Henry now seemingly out too and the next couple of weeks start to look very concerning.

Think Robbo made a mistake starting henry defensive mid. We missed the henry/cadden combo down the right. Shrewsbury defended very well and pressed us all over the pitch. Hall and Sykes are unfortunately not good enough.
If by defending very well you mean they dropped very deep, fouled, dived and time wasted then I would agree with you.
Always difficult to break down such tactics but it seems that if we can't do that then we are rubbish (that's not aimed at you brassmonkey).

It was a struggle today, the Ref after fairly booking Dickie must have lost his cards in his cornhole for 50 odd minutes. Considering the team we had out, we did well but I think KR missed a trick with Henry playing so deeply. He looked a player playing out of position but did his best with the tools he had.

Frustrated for Forde and Henry, its one of those things, but not what we needed. Archer did ok, looked a bit nervous but all seemed ok - kicking needs a bit of work though!

Shrewsbury did a job, but I can see why the score so few goals. Not a lot of creativity on the pitch

Shrewsbury were playing the old Wimbledon way. If it moves kick it. If it's the ball that's a bonus. If the opposition has any good players attempt to cripple them (fortunately our good players were good enough not to be crippled, but were certainly bashed about a bit). As has been described they play anti-football.
Mind you, the poor opening 25 to 30 minutes were entirely due to Robinson's selection. How the hell he could justify playing your leading goal scorer as a defensive midfielder puzzles me that's for sure. Unfortunately it took the injury to Forde (three busted ribs is definitely painful) to rearrange the system to a much more effective one.
The Shrewsbury playing style (though style not a word I would use about that) was specifically designed to prevent a loss. And it worked against what remains of the United squad after massive injuries.
Still it was a point and we must now move on. Gorrin's return will help. And if Brannagan becomes available them we should get over this blip.
I won't mention the referee because he was so bad I am still trying to believe it.

Disappointed with today’s result we didn’t seem to click, they were in our faces from the off and we should have countered that. You will probably disagree but apart from their constant time wasting they did have a better game than us, but we were by far the better side......no I’m not being silly but I felt we were better but couldn’t really get to grips with them which I feel is because they outmuscled us, but they had 12 men so I suppose they weren’t. Forde will be out for sometime so I wish him the best and make a steady but speedy recovery, hopefully Henry’s will be sorted this week and be back for next week.
I don’t think Tariq had the best of games, the midfield was weak also our full backs were coming inside to much and almost being caught out by their wingers.
well done Jordan Archer not much to do but you acquitted yourself very well and more importantly kept a clean sheet.

a deserved point better than a loss but this month is going to be tough but let’s get through and get some results and we will be in a good position to push for the play offs if not automatics.
COYY

I think we really struggle without both Brannagan and Gorrin. They complement each other really well and our huge part of our identity which is quick pressing and quick passing. We generally had good possession today but didn’t use the ball well or close the spaces quick enough. I don’t see a choice apart from get a couple of young players in who will at least have the energy to press the opposition. We have the luxury of not being in a precarious position so let’s see what some of them are made of and give them some development. Definitely need Ruffels in midfield and Long at left back for next game. Hopefully Hanson can do a job in there soon as well. In every crisis comes opportunity! COYY

I think we really struggle without both Brannagan and Gorrin. They complement each other really well and our huge part of our identity which is quick pressing and quick passing. We generally had good possession today but didn’t use the ball well or close the spaces quick enough. I don’t see a choice apart from get a couple of young players in who will at least have the energy to press the opposition. We have the luxury of not being in a precarious position so let’s see what some of them are made of and give them some development. Definitely need Ruffels in midfield and Long at left back for next game. Hopefully Hanson can do a job in there soon as well. In every crisis comes opportunity! COYY
Long is too useful to leave on the bench when we are short. Play him and put Cadden on the right wing

A friend listening to the post match interview with Robinson said it was a painful interview, even the reporter said if you take this long to answer it will be a long interview, was it that bad?

Poor day at the office, let's hope we have time to get a few of the first team back.

A friend listening to the post match interview with Robinson said it was a painful interview, even the reporter said if you take this long to answer it will be a long interview, was it that bad?

Poor day at the office, let's hope we have time to get a few of the first team back.
KR's dramatic response of silence was in response to the opening question "We've just heard Sam Ricketts saying Shrewsbury were the better team and could have gone on to win the game, do you agree?"

After a 10 second silence and a choked claim of being lost for words we soon got gobby back again love or loathe him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom