Away Match Day Thread +++ 5/5/2018 Blackburn Rovers v OUFC Match Day Thread +++

2-1 To the yellows just because we have a technically understrength team and we are playing 2nd from top of the league.

COYY

Same score and result from 54 years ago I fancy ...

3-1 to the mighty U's, and really P**s on rovers bonfire, with the young guns getting a rare first-team runout, amongst the goals and assists

for the impressive amount of yellows taking on the lovely drive up the M6 .... a bit of handy info re 'pubs' around Ewood park
with a forecast of there being a 25k+ crowd, reckon the fanzone will be at capacity early on( whats the odds on the 1964 5th round facup match at the Manor NOT being screened?:cautious: ).... interesting to see the prices charged for inside the stadium beers etc ( shows just how mercenary the self appointed custodian of OUFC and stadium landlord is...in case we had forgotten!...... two pints for less then £7!!!! o_O )
PUBS FOR AWAY FANS
Behind the Bryan Douglas Darwen End, the Club have created a fanzone area, into which away fans are admitted. It has some large screens showing previous meetings between the two sides and more importantly food and drink outlets, where you can buy a 'Pie and a Pint' for £4.90. The closest pub to Ewood Park that away supporters can use is the Fernhurst pub on Bolton Road, which is only a five minute walk from the visitors turnstiles. Now part of the Hungry Horse chain, it quickly fills up on matchdays and once full no further fans are allowed entry, until people leave. However please note that in keeping with the 'families atmosphere' of the pub, fans are asked to refrain from singing. John Chadbourne a visiting Nottingham Forest supporter recommends Uncle Jacks on Branch Road; 'It welcomes away fans, has an excellent selection of beers, including cask ales. It is only a ten minute walk from Ewood Park'.
There is the Golden Cup pub which is further on past the Fernhurst (going away from the ground) on Bolton Road and is tucked in by the motorway bridge. However this Thwaites pub is quite small, gets rather crowded and it is a good 20 minute walk (and mostly uphill) from Ewood Park. It is friendly though and also offers a range of pies. You can also park at the pub for a cost of £5. If you have a bit of time on your hands and you like your real ale then Robert Bury suggests; 'The Black Bull pub at the top of Bog Height Road (this is the road next to the Golden Cup and the Black Bull pub is located one mile up this road on the left) is home to the Three B's Brewery and has up to eight ales on tap. You can also enjoy great views over the surrounding countryside and Blackburn from its elevated position.' On the other side of the M65 motorway on Blackburn Road but going in the opposite direction to Ewood Park towards Darwen, is the Anchor Hotel, which is also frequented by away fans.
Just around the corner from the entrance to Blackburn Railway Station is a Wetherspoons outlet called the Postal Order. Alcohol is also served within the ground in the form of; Fosters (£3.50 pint), John Smith's (£3.50 pint), Bulmers Cider (£2.70 bottle) and Wine (£3.90 small bottle). The Club offer two pints of lager or bitter for £6.70. You can even have them served in a two pint pot!

Looks like Robbie Hall isn't in 18 today. Reckon they don't want to risk any further setbacks for him now we're safe.

for the impressive amount of yellows taking on the lovely drive up the M6 .... a bit of handy info re 'pubs' around Ewood park
with a forecast of there being a 25k+ crowd, reckon the fanzone will be at capacity early on( whats the odds on the 1964 5th round facup match at the Manor NOT being screened?:cautious: ).... interesting to see the prices charged for inside the stadium beers etc ( shows just how mercenary the self appointed custodian of OUFC and stadium landlord is...in case we had forgotten!...... two pints for less then £7!!!!

I’m pretty sure Uncle Firoz doesn’t set the price of the beer at the “Kasstad” [[emoji767] Radio Oxford].

with a forecast of there being a 25k+ crowd, reckon the fanzone will be at capacity early on( whats the odds on the 1964 5th round facup match at the Manor NOT being screened?:cautious: ).... interesting to see the prices charged for inside the stadium beers etc ( shows just how mercenary the self appointed custodian of OUFC and stadium landlord is...in case we had forgotten!...... two pints for less then £7!!!! o_O )
PUBS FOR AWAY FANS
Behind the Bryan Douglas Darwen End, the Club have created a fanzone area, into which away fans are admitted. It has some large screens showing previous meetings between the two sides and more importantly food and drink outlets, where you can buy a 'Pie and a Pint' for £4.90. The closest pub to Ewood Park that away supporters can use is the Fernhurst pub on Bolton Road, which is only a five minute walk from the visitors turnstiles. Now part of the Hungry Horse chain, it quickly fills up on matchdays and once full no further fans are allowed entry, until people leave. However please note that in keeping with the 'families atmosphere' of the pub, fans are asked to refrain from singing. John Chadbourne a visiting Nottingham Forest supporter recommends Uncle Jacks on Branch Road; 'It welcomes away fans, has an excellent selection of beers, including cask ales. It is only a ten minute walk from Ewood Park'.
There is the Golden Cup pub which is further on past the Fernhurst (going away from the ground) on Bolton Road and is tucked in by the motorway bridge. However this Thwaites pub is quite small, gets rather crowded and it is a good 20 minute walk (and mostly uphill) from Ewood Park. It is friendly though and also offers a range of pies. You can also park at the pub for a cost of £5. If you have a bit of time on your hands and you like your real ale then Robert Bury suggests; 'The Black Bull pub at the top of Bog Height Road (this is the road next to the Golden Cup and the Black Bull pub is located one mile up this road on the left) is home to the Three B's Brewery and has up to eight ales on tap. You can also enjoy great views over the surrounding countryside and Blackburn from its elevated position.' On the other side of the M65 motorway on Blackburn Road but going in the opposite direction to Ewood Park towards Darwen, is the Anchor Hotel, which is also frequented by away fans.
Just around the corner from the entrance to Blackburn Railway Station is a Wetherspoons outlet called the Postal Order. Alcohol is also served within the ground in the form of; Fosters (£3.50 pint), John Smith's (£3.50 pint), Bulmers Cider (£2.70 bottle) and Wine (£3.90 small bottle). The Club offer two pints of lager or bitter for £6.70. You can even have them served in a two pint pot!
Sat in the Fox and hounds now, proper northern pub.

I’m pretty sure Uncle Firoz doesn’t set the price of the beer at the “Kasstad” [[emoji767] Radio Oxford].
maybe not directly.... however his 'rent' prices to franchises will have more than an influence.... I cant remember where I read/ or heard about it, but, I seem to recall the South stand lower, north and east stand concourse kiosk outlets alcohol prices are linked to/ the same as those charged in bar at the top of the stairs outside the hospitality boxes ?.... Quadrangle bar (or whatever name it has currently) alcohol prices too?

Same score and result from 54 years ago I fancy ...
3-1 to the mighty U's, and really P**s on rovers bonfire, with the young guns getting a rare first-team runout, amongst the goals and assists

Strewth Sarge, I remember it like it was 54 years ago. Bring back Mr Fish I say. We really do need to get our goal celebrations sorted out, has no one in Oxford played Fortnight and was that our Faz I saw in the Rovers team? Also, Mr Mixter must be doing his nut; the health and safety arrangements at the stadium look a bit dodgy.

Hoping young asset on the bench Owen James gets a decent amount of match time.... given his prolific record of scoring, if he's given more than 5 or 10mins he could weight in with a goal UTM

Hope we do well.....if we don't, who cares, totally different team next season

Interesting to see Lego on the bench, all the talk was of being left out of the squad.

Getting stuck way up in the top tier doesn’t happen often at this level. Just inside - first thoughts are that Ewood Park is one of those rare grounds which actually seems way bigger than it looks on tv...

I hadn’t been too fussed about the score all the way here, and honestly think if we concede early it could get all Boro ‘98. But after a few chats with some perfectly affable but obscenely arrogant Rovers fans on the way in ‘good on you boys for making the drive - it’s the only part about us being way down the leagues I like’ / ‘good luck for next season, but we should be doing clubs like you 5 or 6 every week really’ etc I’d quite like us to ruin their day of fun in the sun in little old League One...

Happy to see Lego on the bench so we’ll get the chance to applaud him off, hoping Napa has a decent game, pleased Nelson is starting so we can see if Mous is a viable option as a CDM next season...

And, I know every year we all say ‘wow do we need to sign a striker in the summer’...but this summer. Seriously. I hope we have a lengthy recruitment list of targets in place, being tapped up or whatever the ‘legal’ recruitment process is now to get in a couple of decent ones.

Don't care today, just nice to be able to relax and watch the game. Think we will put up a good display - 3-2 Rothwell, Obika and James on debut with the winner. Why not.

Afternoon all. A win would be nice. As long as we give a good account of ourselves don’t really care. Major rebuild in the summer so a chance to have a free hit at Blackburn.

Back
Top Bottom