Home Match Day Thread +++ 29/01/2019 OUFC v Barnsley Match Day Thread +++

People shouldn’t be fooled, despite Barnsley’s reputation for pretty football, they were quite a nasty team at times. Thats not really a criticism, their manager has instilled a ruthlessness in them that’ll hold them in good stead for the run in. I can see why Robinson got wound up by their ‘foreign manager’ but he could learn a thing or two about the dark arts from him. We are sometimes a little too naive and ‘nice’.

Having said that it was a good performance from us and despite the hollow feeling of dropping two points, I think the players can take a lot of confidence from it. Get that striker in this week and then look for that elusive first away win at Burton. That’s a massive game, if we win we go within three points of them and they’re sat in mid table. All to play for - COYYs!

Played well tonight and definitely deserved to win, but just felt the whole Whyte episode changed the game. Just don’t understand why Robinson insisted Whyte continued to lay on the ground when he clearly wanted to get up and play on. The delay allowed Barnsley to galvanise when we were on top. It was never a red card, and we tried to make a meal of it. Reminded of a Steve Evans type of thing to do which I dn’t like to be associated with at our club.

Shame it was 2 points dropped which our players didn’t deserve.

If we continue to play like that we should avoid relegation.

Nastiest team we’ve played at home in years, they got away with 2 reds, we got right in their faces and they didn’t like it. It was when we backed off that they came back into it, we played well mouse was defo man of the match, we actually looked really dangerous from corners.

They did get dirty towards the end, but just feel they’re a physical athletic type of team.

Was just hoping we’d get that winner, but we were basically dead on our feet, shame.

Just back. Top performance for 65 minutes, should have been out of sight. Anyone saying the players aren't playing for Robinson or similar needs to have a look at themselves, we played like it was a cup final for about an hour today, 100% effort. You could see the turn coming though, we looked utterly gassed. KR not wrong to point out the options they had on the bench, their subs changed the game. Also, unpopular opinion but I thought the ref had a good game today. Let the game flow. The Lindsey challenge on Whyte was never a red, lets take the yellow-tinted specs off. Standard tactical foul when your man's just gone past you on the half way line, classic booking, nothing more.

He took Whyte out deliberately, professional foul, straight.

One day Robinson will learn how to manage a game, if you bring Henry off don’t replace him with a useless fat turd who can’t run or kick a ball, Samir should have come on.

Poor man management.

He didn’t kick him, he was copying what the bloke did to him.
Yes he did it was more or less directly in front of us, as Curtis got he leaned towards him and kicked his leg whether their player did something while Curtis had his back to us I don’t know but he definitely kicked him

Played well tonight and definitely deserved to win, but just felt the whole Whyte episode changed the game. Just don’t understand why Robinson insisted Whyte continued to lay on the ground when he clearly wanted to get up and play on. The delay allowed Barnsley to galvanise when we were on top. It was never a red card, and we tried to make a meal of it. Reminded of a Steve Evans type of thing to do which I dn’t like to be associated with at our club.

Shame it was 2 points dropped which our players didn’t deserve.

If we continue to play like that we should avoid relegation.
I thought KR’s touchline antics were unacceptable tonight,felt ashamed to be associated with his largely unnoticed,unsporting(cheating)attempt to have Lyndsey sent off.
Also agree that the resulting stoppage led directly to Barnsley’s first goal .

Last edited:
Just back. Top performance for 65 minutes, should have been out of sight. Anyone saying the players aren't playing for Robinson or similar needs to have a look at themselves, we played like it was a cup final for about an hour today, 100% effort. You could see the turn coming though, we looked utterly gassed. KR not wrong to point out the options they had on the bench, their subs changed the game. Also, unpopular opinion but I thought the ref had a good game today. Let the game flow. The Lindsey challenge on Whyte was never a red, lets take the yellow-tinted specs off. Standard tactical foul when your man's just gone past you on the half way line, classic booking, nothing more.
Did you watch the Oxford game against Looton a few seasons ago Matt Green same place same type of challenge on him, The Looton player sent of for dangerous play, so yes Lindsay should have been sent off.

Totally agree re the ref.

He just shoved Whyte off the ball. Potentially dangerous because of where it took place e.g. hoardings etc, but definitely not a a red.
Definite red but trev the kettle said it was only a yellow and we know what a prick he is towards
Oxford

Full blooded and enjoyable. Moose had his best game for the club and Josh R again was exemplary. Our setpieces have improved 500%.

Barnsley a mixture of loafing complacency and stylishness. Lindsay was appalling. Outpaced by a pensioner for the second goal, how bad is that? ?

Actually thought the ref had a decent game - the Whyte incident was a yellow card in my view in hindsight. KR does himself and the club no favours with his temper tantrums. He was pratting around like a spoilt kid in the technical area. But his team are playing with spirit and verve at the moment and I hope tonight’s performance quietened some of the persistent whjngers on this forum.

If we play like this from now on in then we will stay up comfortably. Finally Graham has made a big difference. He’s a graceful player, It’s great to see old-school wingers in yellow on both sides of the pitch .

He just shoved Whyte off the ball. Potentially dangerous because of where it took place e.g. hoardings etc, but definitely not a a red.
It stopped a chance of a goal,both the left back and Lindsay would've been out of the game with Whyte at least able to get into the area before anyone could've stopped him.Also made no attempt whatsoever for the ball.

Last edited:
I thought KR’s touchline antics were beyond reproach tonight,felt ashamed to be associated with his largely unnoticed,unsporting(cheating)attempt to have Lyndsey sent off.
Also agree that the resulting stoppage led directly to Barnsley’s first goal .
Full blooded and enjoyable. Moose had his best game for the club and Josh R again was exemplary. Our setpieces have improved 500%.

Barnsley a mixture of loafing complacency and stylishness. Lindsay was appalling. Outpaced by a pensioner for the second goal, how bad is that? ?

Actually thought the ref had a decent game - the Whyte incident was a yellow card in my view in hindsight. KR does himself and the club no favours with his temper tantrums. He was pratting around like a spoilt kid in the technical area. But his team are playing with spirit and verve at the moment and I hope tonight’s performance quietened some of the persistent whjngers on this forum.

If we play like this from now on in then we will stay up comfortably. Finally Graham has made a big difference. He’s a graceful player, It’s great to see old-school wingers in yellow on both sides of the pitch .

I agree, although I think what got KR's goat was the Barnsley boss saying some spicy language in German, no one would have taken any notice but apparently we have a fluent German speaker on our coaching team and passed on what he was saying

Robinson deserves a lot of credit for tonight. His tactics were very good and we should have been clear by the time they got their first.

It’s a red card, simple as that. He’s done Whyte and made no attempt at the ball. If that’s in the Prem, it’s a red. A disgraceful challenge which the management were rightly furious about.

Robinson is a passionate bloke who wears his heart on his sleeve.

He may not get it right and he may say some odd things to the media, but what I’ve learnt the last few weeks from speaking direct to him and listening and reading various things is he’s so passionate about the club and the fans and is so so desperate for things to improve. He’s got the full support from everyone in the background as well something you don’t always see.

I think we will stay up and if backed accordingly, I actually believe we could do some decent things.

Back
Top Bottom