Home Match Day Thread +++ 29/01/2019 OUFC v Barnsley Match Day Thread +++

Expanding on a previous point I though the ref was very decent last night.

Didn't notice him at all until a decision needed to be made which can only be a good thing. Yellow/Red card debates will always rage but I thought it was about right yesterday. Yesterday's game was just about the right intensity for a league 1 clash for me, we're not the "there was contact" Premiership and I'm very glad of that!

I thought we fully outfought Barnsley.

We were snapping into challenges, pressing them, we prevented them from imposing their game on us. Hitting the cross bar 3 times, Henry with the resulting effort following Mackie hitting the bar.

Set pieces much improved...Barnsley looked to be zonal but couldn't handle Dickie.

The game really changed on the Lindsay challenge. Its the sort of tackle we see pretty much weekly now, either on Whyte of Browne. Obviously a red. However, from this point we sat back and failed to continue all that we had done prior.

KR gets a little criticism from me, 2-0, 20mins to go...said he finally has a bench he can make changes with with Kashi and Carruthers...yet fails to make any changes. Aside from that, we got last night spot on.

Our major issue this season has been the consistency of such performances...continue as we played last night and we should pull ourself safe (hopefully with the addition of a striker - Mackie ran himse;f in to the ground but can't be expected to for 90 every week).

Having watched the goals on sky
Both goals as we know were from down our right
Their first, as the bell is about to to passed to the scorer, we have 3 players near the ball but nobody close enough to stop the pass
The gap beteeen Nelson and Hanson is so big the pass to their 29 is simple, and he’s completely unmarked...... Hanson, who I think has done well lately, is ball watching and allows the 29 an unopposed run into box and shot
Their second, a mistake by Hanson, which allows an unopposed cross, but then Dickie let’s the number 19, who’s actually pointing to where he wants the ball, another unopposed run into box, before scoring, Dickie was too slow and not close enough.
All that aside we did play very very well
We need to cut out these defensive mistakes and, even tho it won’t happen, we do need another centre back.
Hanson did what he always does, in that he is never quite sure of his positioning and seldom closes down the player he us supposed to be marking allowing them to either keep running or pick off a pass of cross with ease. Not impressed with him at all.

However, even though his howler led to the second, if Nelson had shown a bit of composure 10 seconds before, when instead of controlling a ball which he had plenty of time and space to do so, he instead did an aimless hoof straight back to Barnsley, that led to the attack.

All the forwards and Mousinho played very well.

KR complained of not having a proper replacement to bring on for Graham.... isn't Sykes a winger?

Hanson did what he always does, in that he is never quite sure of his positioning and seldom closes down the player he us supposed to be marking allowing them to either keep running or pick off a pass of cross with ease. Not impressed with him at all.

However, even though his howler led to the second, if Nelson had shown a bit of composure 10 seconds before, when instead of controlling a ball which he had plenty of time and space to do so, he instead did an aimless hoof straight back to Barnsley, that led to the attack.

All the forwards and Mousinho played very well.

KR complained of not having a proper replacement to bring on for Graham.... isn't Sykes a winger?

I think Sykes is an attacking central midfielder rather than a wide player.

With all this talk of red cards, am I right in thinking that Dickie was very lucky to survive the whole game?

He (rightly) got booked very early on for bringing down a player who had turned him and beaten him for pace. I also thought that he hauled someone down as they were breaking which led to a free-kick about 35 yards on the left as we entered stoppage time.

Fairly certain it was him and it looked a nailed on second booking to me.

It stopped a chance of a goal,both the left back and Lindsay would've been out of the game with Whyte at least able to get into the area before anyone could've stopped him.Also made no attempt whatsoever for the ball.

The law doesn't say it's a red for denying "a chance of a goal." It says: "denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick."

A player on the touchline 50 yards from the opponent's goal does not have "an obvious goal-scoring opportunity." He's simply too far away.

I think Sykes is an attacking central midfielder rather than a wide player.
Dunno if KR agrees though? ....midfielders at fb, cbs as d mf & fb in midfield, winger up front, wingers on wrong sides etc guess until Sykes features properly no one but KR SD & DF has a clue where he will play for OUFC?

Looking on the positive side, based on last night , KR does seem to be setting up to get the best out of the players hes got

Last edited:
With all this talk of red cards, am I right in thinking that Dickie was very lucky to survive the whole game?

He (rightly) got booked very early on for bringing down a player who had turned him and beaten him for pace. I also thought that he hauled someone down as they were breaking which led to a free-kick about 35 yards on the left as we entered stoppage time.

Fairly certain it was him and it looked a nailed on second booking to me.
He did get a yellow for the second one but he never got booked for the first foul.

The law doesn't say it's a red for denying "a chance of a goal." It says: "denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick."

A player on the touchline 50 yards from the opponent's goal does not have "an obvious goal-scoring opportunity." He's simply too far away.
My feeling at the time was violent conduct (if it still exists under that name). It was late, with a swinging arm and dangerous when off the pitch. The fact Whyte was ok was lucky.

Not long back having stopped over after the game. Felt last night’s display was very encouraging against a very good Barnsley side. The thinness (is this a word) of our squad is so transparent when it comes to substitutions, effectively we only have the option of trying to close games out. The players put in a great shift (and it showed towards the end) but well done to all for a very good game of League One football.

Looks to me like Mackie’s shot went in. On the replay you can clearly see the net bulge as it bounces back up after hitting the bar.

Attachments

• CF71E7D8-B218-4090-82E5-6C88B317E75B.jpeg
    CF71E7D8-B218-4090-82E5-6C88B317E75B.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 64
Looks to me like Mackie’s shot went in. On the replay you can clearly see the net bulge as it bounces back up after hitting the bar.
It's hard to tell from the East Stand, but it does look conclusive enough there. To be fair, the lino would have struggled to see that. I'm surprised Trevor Kettle didn't chime in

My feeling at the time was violent conduct (if it still exists under that name). It was late, with a swinging arm and dangerous when off the pitch. The fact Whyte was ok was lucky.

If there was a swinging arm, that would change things. Didn't see that myself, but happy to be corrected.

It clearly doesn't.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 15.34.49.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 15.34.49.png
    834.2 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom