Away Match Build Up 25/11/2023 L1: Cheltenham Town v OUFC

Predictions

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BristolOx

Thought i’d start the build-up thread as we’re a week away from Des’ first game in charge.
Excited to see how we line up. I would expect we’ll pick one of our 3 starting formations - 4231, 3421 or the hybrid/both where we defend with 4 at the back and attack with 3 at the back.

I’ll post more stats later, but it’s second vs second bottom.

IMG_2886.jpeg

IMG_2887.jpeg

COYY!

edit: there was a poll but it got removed when the threads merged.
edit, edit: found how to add it back in

Last edited:
They also have him down under Oxford United as actually suspended. (and someone called Darius Horton?!?!)

Pretty sure bookings & suspensions get sent out by The FA after they process referee's match reports.
So if indeed he is on 5, the club should have received notification or at least have 5 notifications of yellow cards.
The referee’s report (of which the club receive a copy for every fixture) will state which players were booked and the nature of their offence.

It's just the club has not mentioned his suspension at all.

Assuming Moore is out and it sounds like Leigh isn’t being risked, back four picks itself I would presume:

Brown Thorniley Negru Stevens
Beadle​

Have we seen a combo of JT and Negru in central defence before? I can really see them complimenting each other.

If Leigh is out and Moore is suspended, our options across the back are somewhat limited.

If we stick with a 4, which I prefer, Brown goes to LB, Thornily and Negru come in at CB and FS goes to RB.

A back 3 works, but who plays at LWB? It isn't immediably obvious.
Wouldn’t mind playing brown at LB in a game like this, they will likely go direct and imo having brown there who is more physical than Leigh might be a blessing in disguise as Clarke will definitely go direct against us. Put Negru in @ Centre Back & I’d be confident we deal with anything they throw at us & actually add a bit of pace with Negru in at CB

Assuming Moore is out and it sounds like Leigh isn’t being risked, back four picks itself I would presume:

Brown Thorniley Negru Stevens
Beadle​

Have we seen a combo of JT and Negru in central defence before? I can really see them complimenting each other.

Is Sam Long still unavailable?

Wouldn’t mind playing brown at LB in a game like this, they will likely go direct and imo having brown there who is more physical than Leigh might be a blessing in disguise as Clarke will definitely go direct against us. Put Negru in @ Centre Back & I’d be confident we deal with anything they throw at us & actually add a bit of pace with Negru in at CB
Not sure he is - don’t think there’s anyone at the club better in the air than Leigh. Definitely a blow if he’s out for this one.
Is Sam Long still unavailable?
Don’t think we’ve been told how long he’s out for, which suggests it’s a bad one imo.

Not sure he is - don’t think there’s anyone at the club better in the air than Leigh. Definitely a blow if he’s out for this one.
I noticed that about Leigh. Not the tallest but he completely dominates in the air. (And that singing voice....)

Other clubs can evidently organise a fan's forum in a brewery I note...
They haven’t been the only ones talking to their customers this week. Although Luke Williams might have gone straight to County’s from the Cheltenham forum as he’s got the swagger of a man who has had a few and reached peak “fuckit”.

Quite excited for tomorrow. Haven't made it to the last couple of away games and was gutted to miss Orient. Hoping for a similar atmosphere and togetherness, and also welcoming Des. Feels like the sort of game it would be 'typical Oxford' to go and lose, though :ROFLMAO:

Hope this will be the team he goes for:

Beadle
Stevens - Moore - Brown - Leigh
McGuane - Brannagan
Mills - Rodrigues - Goodrham
Harris

Leigh is absolutely brilliant in the air, probably second best at the club after Moore. As solid as Brown is, and I won't shudder I with dread if he's left back tomorrow because Leigh isn't ready, there's no way Leigh being unavailable doesn't weaken us.

I think some still have the attitude that full backs can't be good going forwards and good defensively. Leigh is and that's why he's among the best in the division, while Brown is a pretty good centre back who can do a solid job filling in at left back.

The only player who could levitate or "hover" in the penalty box was Hugh Curran. He later told me that was total b....x. However, it did look to be so at the time.

Back
Top Bottom