Away Match Build Up 25/11/2023 L1: Cheltenham Town v OUFC

Predictions

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BristolOx

Thought i’d start the build-up thread as we’re a week away from Des’ first game in charge.
Excited to see how we line up. I would expect we’ll pick one of our 3 starting formations - 4231, 3421 or the hybrid/both where we defend with 4 at the back and attack with 3 at the back.

I’ll post more stats later, but it’s second vs second bottom.

IMG_2886.jpeg

IMG_2887.jpeg

COYY!

edit: there was a poll but it got removed when the threads merged.
edit, edit: found how to add it back in

Last edited:
Kyle Edwards could well be available this weekend. Big bonus if he is.
Absolutely huge to have him back, and Browne imminently too. It’s a massive credit to Stan Mills that we haven’t missed them as much as we might have.

Was a bit surprised to see Tyler doing the media on that note, would have thought the same front four as Orient plus Cam and McGuane were the obvious starters.

Hard fought match, Cheltenham will raise their game even more (as they always do against United at Whaddon Road) and United will get a draw.

Absolutely huge to have him back, and Browne imminently too. It’s a massive credit to Stan Mills that we haven’t missed them as much as we might have.

Was a bit surprised to see Tyler doing the media on that note, would have thought the same front four as Orient plus Cam and McGuane were the obvious starters.
Yes, I thought that too. He did a good job but strange to put him up if he wont feature or maybe I'm over thinking it.

Off topic but can I get a quick show of hands if people are going for this - https://www.oufcshop.co.uk/christmas/christmas/festive-product/1877_2023-christmas-jumper.html

George Elek tipping us to lose on Saturday.
Can’t argue with his logic and he’s right about the market not catching up with Cheltenham, but would challenge on a few levels. 1) the major thing in common between the Wigan and Cambridge defeats was not having the McGuane/Brannagan axis, 2) we’d have created more XG if we weren’t so conservative when leading and 3) I don’t think we’ve struggled to create chances when we played with pace and width, only really when we were persevering with a back three and Bodin/RR in the same team.

I am concerned though that it might be a totally new back four tomorrow, and I am spooked by Tyler doing the media as absolutely not convinced him and Bodin playing will give us enough width. Even if we did go down that road though, I’d fancy Edwards and Mills off the bench to have a big impact.

I am concerned though that it might be a totally new back four tomorrow, and I am spooked by Tyler doing the media as absolutely not convinced him and Bodin playing will give us enough width. Even if we did go down that road though, I’d fancy Edwards and Mills off the bench to have a big impact.
Imagine being the Cheltenham full back, knackered and with 20 minutes to go and then Des brings on Kyle.

Can’t argue with his logic and he’s right about the market not catching up with Cheltenham, but would challenge on a few levels. 1) the major thing in common between the Wigan and Cambridge defeats was not having the McGuane/Brannagan axis, 2) we’d have created more XG if we weren’t so conservative when leading and 3) I don’t think we’ve struggled to create chances when we played with pace and width, only really when we were persevering with a back three and Bodin/RR in the same team.

Fairly sure that Cheltenham will park-the-bus (or play with a low-block in modern parlance 🙄).
We will need to be patient that’s for sure.

‘Desi’ gets it right and he will be an instant hero.
Get it wrong and ‘Buckie’ will face the inevitable ‘did we choose the wrong guy’ B*****s.

Do we know for sure whether Moore is suspended for this one? Some sources, including the FA, have him on 5 yellows now. I have nightmares that we end up playing him and have points deducted, as the club hasn't mentioned it at all.
Just mentioned this on the James Golding thread but Wyscout have him on 5 yellows which were received v Port Vale, Stevenage, Bristol Rovers, Wycombe and Orient.

The sites that have him on 4 are missing one from the Vale game.

However, Wyscout includes video footage of each incident, and for the alleged Vale one, shows the Stevens foul for the penalty, and then cuts out as Moore approaches the referee.
All sites report Stevens being booked (you assume correctly for the foul) but not Moore, whereas Wyscout has Moore being booked and not Stevens.

I thought the controversy was in the Lincoln game, where Moore argued with the ref about an earlier foul, then the ref got out a yellow and appeared to show it to Rodrigues, but it seemed plainly meant for Moore. Some sources have it as a Rodrigues booking, others as Moore.Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 22.00.12.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 22.03.45.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 22.03.45.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
There is confusion around this -FA site says 5.
Having looked into this the confusion seems to surround the lincoln game. After 40 minutes either rodrigues or moore got a yellow card. Different sites seem to say one or the other. My gut feeling is that is was rodrigues and moore is free to play as it hasn't been mentioned yet.

I thought the controversy was in the Lincoln game, where Moore argued with the ref about an earlier foul, then the ref got out a yellow and appeared to show it to Rodrigues, but it seemed plainly meant for Moore. Some sources have it as a Rodrigues booking, others as Moore.
Snap

Just watched the Wyscout footage of the booking they (and other sites) allocate against Ruben at Lincoln.
Moore & Ruben are in the conversation, ref gets his card out, then stops half way to lifting it, Moore moves back, ref goes into other pocket and then puts the yellow card up whilst only Ruben stood next to him. There's a bit of pointing prior which could be seen as indicating it's for Moore and having watched it back a few times, I think the ref is meaning to show it to Moore.

So in summary, I think the one showing on Wyscout versus Vale is wrong (and should be to Stevens). And the one listed v Lincoln showing to Ruben, should be against Moore.
FA site has him on 5 and suspended which you'd hope is the most accurate measure!

Last edited:
The FA has him on 5 on their own site though. This is why I'm slightly worried we'll play him without realisinScreenshot 2023-11-23 at 22.24.23.png

Last edited:
The FA has him on 5 on their own site though. This is why I'm slightly worried we'll play him without realising!
They also have him down under Oxford United as actually suspended with description "C2 - Dissent by Word or Action". Start Date: 11/11/2023, End Date: 25/11/2023.
(also someone called Darius Horton listed?!?!)

Pretty sure bookings & suspensions get sent out by The FA after they process referee's match reports.
So if indeed he is on 5, the club should have received notification or at least have 5 notifications of yellow cards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom