Away Match Day Thread 24/10/2023 L1: Wigan Athletic v OUFC

Man of the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Malc

Staff member
Hopefully last Saturday has been flushed down the wc.
Normal service will be resumed tonight with a 4-1 win.

Kids for a quid (U.18) extends to visiting supporters tonight.

F9AbK1rWUAA_DuO

Feels like a difficult game tonight despite the differences in league positions. Their league position is a bit false given their points deductions.

Seems like a few if our lads are still struggling with this bug which doesn't make things easier. Would a point be the end of the world?

Feels like a difficult game tonight despite the differences in league positions. Their league position is a bit false given their points deductions.

Seems like a few if our lads are still struggling with this bug which doesn't make things easier. Would a point be the end of the world?
They would be 16th without the points deduction. Although they won their last game ( very fortunately), they lost their previous 4.
A point wouldn't be the end if the world, but if we are serious contenders for the Top 2, it would be a real set back (Wycombe, Bolton and Peterborough games coming up over the next few weeks)

Before their win at Exeter and a draw with Fleetwood, Wigan had lost four in a row, so hopefully we’re not playing them at the wrong time if they’ve just started to turn things around.

They’ve scored 4 goals less than us over the last 6 games, and conceded 8 more, so we should be comfortably better. But the short turnaround since the last game, the fact that we’ve only just had a sickness bug ravaging the whole squad and given it’s away to a side who have decent players, a draw wouldn’t be a disaster.

Aim for the stars, why not. Early 2-0 lead then managed appropriately with a last-minute goal back for the cardiac patients.
I'll be at Union vs Napoli in the Champions League tonight so will be cheering from a mobile screen.
COYY

Wigan 0 Oxford 7

Make it happen.

Or just win. It depends how much of the camp has shaken off the lurgy since the weekend as to how well we’ll be able to play.

I've done some detailed analysis on this and can see they're on 8 points and in 21st place, however, they've had 8 points deducted so in real terms they should be 16th.

That would put them just above the likes of Cambridge and Bristol Rovers. Cambridge beat us on the opening day of the season, so they can't be a bad team, and we know Rovers are a decent team who are only really down there because of bad refereeing decisions, so we'll need to be on our guard.

We obviously have reasons to be confident but I think we'd be happy to get a point out of this one. If we can keep the unbeaten run going then we'll be well set up to have a good go at Wycombe on Saturday.

They would be 16th without the points deduction. Although they won their last game ( very fortunately), they lost their previous 4.
A point wouldn't be the end if the world, but if we are serious contenders for the Top 2, it would be a real set back (Wycombe, Bolton and Peterborough games coming up over the next few weeks)
I agree, but would say that on top of the deducted points, they’ve only played four home games and eight away. And like us, they’ve only played 12. All things being equal, they’re pretty likely in the top half of the division.

We’re 2nd so should expect to win pretty much anywhere, but just to add the context.

I think second half against both Blackpool and Bristol rovers wasn't great and Wigan should be better than those two teams especially at home

Really it's reverse psychology ( 5-1 failed at the weekend) 😄

I think second half against both Blackpool and Bristol rovers wasn't great and Wigan should be better than those two teams especially at home

Really it's reverse psychology ( 5-1 failed at the weekend) 😄

YOU CAN'T TRICK THE GODS OF FOOTBALL WITH SUCH A TIRED RUSE.

Time for Harris to get back amongst the goals again. Really needs him to start bagging some goals. Bot looked on it since his ban.

Aim for the stars, why not. Early 2-0 lead then managed appropriately with a last-minute goal back for the cardiac patients.
I'll be at Union vs Napoli in the Champions League tonight so will be cheering from a mobile screen.
COYY
Forza Napoli! I was there at the start of the month and when the team scored there was cheering thoughout the streets of the city. Something for Oxford to aim for with pictures of Maradona Greg Leigh up everywhere!

Back
Top Bottom