Current Player #23 Josh Murphy

Wouldn’t need to one plays in the right and one plays in the left so no need to choose.
Okay, let we ask you in another way. If you had to choose between giving Murphy another contract or signing another player like Dale what would you choose?

Last edited:
If someone had asked me this question 6 months ago, I would've said no way, he'd not done enough when he played, apart from a couple of very good 45 mins, and at times seemed completely uninterested, and would then completely disappear for weeks at a time, often without any real clarification as to why, and I wanted him gone.

Maybe there were genuine injuries or mental health issues, or maybe it was a motivation issue, who knows? But I felt enough was enough, and he should be released at the first opportunity.

However, in recent months, he's seemed a totally different player, and not just in his performances, but his attitude and body language have improved massively as well, and I feel he's done enough (just) to make up for his previous shortcomings, and to be offered a new contract, but on lesser terms, and maybe even with an appearance based bonus element included, to keep him motivated and on his toes.

But if he continues to perform to the levels he has in recent weeks/months, then we'd be mad to not offer him another contract, in my opinion.

Given the recent upturn in him overall, I'd much rather see us take a punt on Murphy again, than carry on flogging the dead horse that is Browne, or Edwards.
Personally I would take a fit Edwards over Murphy, but definitely take Murphy over Browne, then that might change again if Browne rips up the form book between now and the end of the season and surpasses Murphy!!

Yes I think that’s fair. But Robinson and Manning hardly played him, I dont think we really know what went on.
Did they not play him or was Murphy making himself unavailable? When I spoke to Robinson at the fans forum in December 2022, he couldn’t wait for Murphy to be available. He said that Murphy and Wildschut (god remember him!) would rip this league apart when they were fit. Also, Robinson had to persuade Grant Thornton to take a risk on Murphy which apparently he was the only risk player they signed in Summer 2022 transfer window!! So these comments about Robinson not playing Murphy don’t quite match up.

Okay, let we ask you in another way. If you had to choose between giving Murphy another contract or another player like Dale what would you choose?
In sure it would depend on the situation at the moment and as long as Murphy keeps his rich vein on form going then it would have to be both and if it means sacrificing someone else then so be it

Did they not play him or was Murphy making himself unavailable? When I spoke to Robinson at the fans forum in December 2022, he couldn’t wait for Murphy to be available. He said that Murphy and Wildschut (god remember him!) would rip this league apart when they were fit. Also, Robinson had to persuade Grant Thornton to take a risk on Murphy which apparently he was the only risk player they signed in Summer 2022 transfer window!! So these comments about Robinson not playing Murphy don’t quite match up.
And I also asked Robinson 2 days before he rightly got the sack about the following season and he said it would be a big clear out.

Okay, let we ask you in another way. If you had to choose between giving Murphy another contract or signing another player like Dale what would you choose?
If we could be certain all signings made would be as good over a complete season as Dale has been (in about 4 games) then we would be in the Championship already.
The claim also spouted by some that Murphy has been just about okay for a few games as his contract is coming up at the end of the season is complete nonsense too. He's been our best, and most regularly high performing player for quite a few months now.

We need four wide players next season, so Dale, Murphy, Goodrham and Dale 2.0 would be a good four. I'd bin off ever injured Browne and Edwards (who has had about one decent performance in his time here).

If we could be certain all signings made would be as good over a complete season as Dale has been (in about 4 games) then we would be in the Championship already.
The claim also spouted by some that Murphy has been just about okay for a few games as his contract is coming up at the end of the season is complete nonsense too. He's been our best, and most regularly high performing player for quite a few months now.

We need four wide players next season, so Dale, Murphy, Goodrham and Dale 2.0 would be a good four. I'd bin off ever injured Browne and Edwards (who has had about one decent performance in his time here).
Give some credit to Edwards he was pretty decent when he played

What nonsense
Who has suggested that he is the 'new Messiah?'
People are not unreasonably suggesting that over the past 6 to 8 weeks he has been our best player as well as scoring 4 goals in 8 games.
Not sure why that causes such a response?
I don't think anyone is denying he's probably been the stand out player since he's been playing regularly.
Mind you that is in a poor performing team.
My concern and that of many others, is as you say he's had a good 6 to 8 weeks out of a 2 year contract on a high salary.
If you are happy for the club to offer big contracts to bit part players then that's your choice.
I would suggest that is nonsense.

And if there’s one thing we know about Karl Robinson is that he always told the truth about player availability. His honesty and straightforward dealing was known throughout the football league, he never refused to select players because of a grudge or shipped them out on a loan which weakened the club.

Every player he signed was for the benefit of the club, he didn’t bring in inferior players from his mates academy who didn’t have a chance of playing for a league 2 club

And if there’s one thing we know about Karl Robinson is that he always told the truth about player availability. His honesty and straightforward dealing was known throughout the football league, he never refused to select players because of a grudge or shipped them out on a loan which weakened the club.

Every player he signed was for the benefit of the club, he didn’t bring in inferior players from his mates academy who didn’t have a chance of playing for a league 2 club
It’s without doubt in my mind that Robinson was desperate for Murphy & Wildschut to become available as he almost saw them as his potential saviour in an awful 2022/23 season, and would have played them at a drop of a hat if available. Whereas, his treatment and comments about Jones/Smyth etc was completely different e.g. they were available, but were still left out in the cold. In fact, at that fans forum in December 2022, I challenged Karl about Jones & Smyth etc in terms of the way they were being poorly treated, and it was obvious to me by the way he (Robinson) responded that he was lying and conflicted with his comments about the importance of supporting mental health wellbeing initiatives.

Last edited:
Give some credit to Edwards he was pretty decent when he played
Edwards has had three league starts and two sub appearances, just about 2.5 games worth of minutes in total.
I agree he did look good in one of the home games he played, but did very little when coming on at Cheltenham.

Game by game he’s clawing back lost time but we’re paying this guy an absolute whack to contribute in this way, it shouldn’t be a shock to anyone, it’s about time. I’d expect a wide player on that money to be roughly 1 in 2 or 3 games so it’s great to see him finally step in to those shoes as a senior player and I fully applaud it. But it doesn’t mean we drop to our knees and throw another charitable deal at him, we have to look at our return on investment which up to now has been measly. He’s behind Greg Leigh and even Ciaron Brown for goal contributions! Keeping up these numbers and sealing promotion is about the only thing that can justify the outlay.

Ability not in question. But there are far too many ‘ifs’ remaining in the squad and he’s a big one. I’d pay him no more than Dale for one season maximum that’s riddled in clauses that protect us from another Dynamo act. We should not be falling over ourself for anyone.

Last edited:
Personally I would take a fit Edwards over Murphy, but definitely take Murphy over Browne, then that might change again if Browne rips up the form book between now and the end of the season and surpasses Murphy!!
A lot of hypotheticals in there!

We know Browne will only stay fit for a maximum handful of games, and a fit Edwards isn’t even a thing.

Murphy’s staying fit and coming good, so I’d choose him over those other two crocks every time.

Game by game he’s clawing back lost time but we’re paying this guy an absolute whack to contribute in this way, it shouldn’t be a shock to anyone, it’s about time. I’d expect a wide player on that money to be roughly 1 in 2 or 3 games so it’s great to see him finally step in to those shoes as a senior player and I fully applaud it. But it doesn’t mean we drop to our knees and throw another charitable deal at him, we have to look at our return on investment which up to now has been measly. He’s behind Greg Leigh and even Ciaron Brown for goals! Keeping up these numbers and sealing promotion is about the only thing that can justify the outlay.

Ability not in question. But there are far too many ‘ifs’ remaining in the squad and he’s a big one. I’d pay him no more than Dale for one season maximum that’s riddled in clauses that protect us from another Dynamo act. We should not be falling over ourself for anyone.

Out of interest, who in our squad do you think is a "top 6 player". Because on one hard you have said that Buckingham is failing with the players at his disposal but on the other you've said that pretty much every player isn't good enough over the last 12 months.

Is anyone good enough for you?

Out of interest, who in our squad do you think is a "top 6 player". Because on one hard you have said that Buckingham is failing with the players at his disposal but on the other you've said that pretty much every player isn't good enough over the last 12 months.

Is anyone good enough for you?
Good evening.

Plenty. This is a good squad in places that’s playing well below its potential. Read selectively to point score if you like. I post on plenty of threads with positives.

But I’m not quite sure what implied I didn’t think Murphy was good enough. ‘Ability not in question’ were my words. His numbers are a consequence of his lack of appearances. His recent numbers are good but really just befitting of his role in the side. Others have been doing it for less. It’s his reliability I question and when someone like Dale arrives with maximum commitment and decisive actions in games from day one it surprises me anybody would recommend that the club dives in with another contract here.

A committed, cost effective Murphy surrounded by a clutch of strong, no-nonsense leaders I would keep around all day long. Otherwise it’s no loss in my book and the club should draw a line under it and look ahead.

Good evening.

Plenty. This is a good squad in places that’s playing well below its potential. Read selectively to point score if you like. I post on plenty of threads with positives.

But I’m not quite sure what implied I didn’t think Murphy was good enough. ‘Ability not in question’ were my words. His numbers are a consequence of his lack of appearances. His recent numbers are good but really just befitting of his role in the side. Others have been doing it for less. It’s his reliability I question and when someone like Dale arrives with maximum commitment and decisive actions in games from day one it surprises me anybody would recommend that the club dives in with another contract here.

A committed, cost effective Murphy surrounded by a clutch of strong, no-nonsense leaders I would keep around all day long. Otherwise it’s no loss in my book and the club should draw a line under it and look ahead.

Sorry, so which of our players are "top 6" ready?

Is Edwards ever fit? He played well in about 2 games, impossible to judge a player in such a small sample.

Back
Top Bottom