Current Player #23 Josh Murphy

I can’t see Murphy staying on a reduced wage, he’s had a decent enough spell to encourage bigger budget clubs (eg Sheffield Wednesday if they come down) to splash a bit of cash on him. Rightfully we should offer a reduced, more incentive based contract, but sadly there’s always some clubs out there stupidly waving their willys around.

Last edited:
If a player who has preformed as well as Murphy has over the last few months, doesn’t deserve a new deal then we may as well get rid of most of the squad.
Des has got the best out of Murphy and it is clear that he fits into the way Des wants to play with out and out wingers, as has Dale.
It would be crazy to just cast him aside when we have a player that a manager can the best out of.

There is a lot to criticise Des about but he has done something that Robinson and Manning couldn’t and that is to get Murphy playing well every week.

Sorry, so which of our players are "top 6" ready?
Urgh. Do I have to? Not sure what the point in that would be.

It would be quicker to say the ones who aren’t top 6 in their ability but it’s a daft time for the conversation when only a few players are turning in respectable performances. We’re horribly off form bar a small clutch and I include Murphy I that - good for him, now let’s have the rest of what you owe the club please before we make a decision. Would I want to be handcuffed to Murphy for another year or two with no escape after how the last 2 went? No, not unless we hold all the cards. I have no doubts over his ability to impact games for a top 6 side, it’s his reliability to do so and whether the money we’d have to sink in to that risk could be better utilised.

Urgh. Do I have to? Not sure what the point in that would be.

It would be quicker to say the ones who aren’t top 6 in their ability but it’s a daft time for the conversation when only a few players are turning in respectable performances. We’re horribly off form bar a small clutch and I include Murphy I that - good for him, now let’s have the rest of what you owe the club please before we make a decision. Would I want to be handcuffed to Murphy for another year or two with no escape after how the last 2 went? No, not unless we hold all the cards. I have no doubts over his ability to impact games for a top 6 side, it’s his reliability to do so and whether the money we’d have to sink in to that risk could be better utilised.
Would you be happy if the club offered Murphy a year contract plus a years option (in the clubs favour) given his form since Des came in?

Has just turned 29 so one more big contract left, but whos going to pay him the big money if he was to leave here?

I think it's fine for us to sign one of our three talented, mercurial but unreliable (in terms of actually being on the field) wingers - Browne, Murphy, Edwards.
They are all exciting enough to do damage at this level, if we can get them on the pitch regularly.....but having all three of them is ludicrously risky, and means we probably have to carry 5 or 6 wingers in the squad.

Up until a month ago, I thought it should be Edwards. He was excellent during his short spell of fitness, and he doesn't have quite as long a track record of missing large chunks of seasons as the other two.

But Murphy's form in the last month has probably now got him the inside track. Depending on what his wage demands are. If he still wants a Championship wage, then no.

I think it's fine for us to sign one of our three talented, mercurial but unreliable (in terms of actually being on the field) wingers - Browne, Murphy, Edwards.
They are all exciting enough to do damage at this level, if we can get them on the pitch regularly.....but having all three of them is ludicrously risky, and means we probably have to carry 5 or 6 wingers in the squad.

Up until a month ago, I thought it should be Edwards. He was excellent during his short spell of fitness, and he doesn't have quite as long a track record of missing large chunks of seasons as the other two.

But Murphy's form in the last month has probably now got him the inside track. Depending on what his wage demands are. If he still wants a Championship wage, then no.
Haven't we signed Edwards already or was it an end of season deal with an option to extend?

Would you be happy if the club offered Murphy a year contract plus a years option (in the clubs favour) given his form since Des came in?
Depends what the terms of the contract were.

If it's the same wages as he's on now, then no, absolutely not.

Conditionally, yes. All depends on the variables. We owe Josh Murphy nothing whatsoever. If he stays, it’s on our terms.

I'd be surprised if Murphy isn't attracting interest from elsewhere. He's a fairly high profile player based on previous moves (and family members), who's contract is up at the end of the season.

Even if we offer him a new deal, a 'bigger' club could offer a better one and he leaves anyway.

If he goes off to the championship for more money, will he get labelled a snake?

Only if he breaks his contract, announces he's going to stay until the day he leaves and takes several other people with him.
Surely we’re all grown up enough to know that those who properly honour the length of a contract in football are a complete minority? In fact, most clubs don’t want you to and would rather get a fee…

The staff thing is such a bizarre complaint to have. Wrong thread for this though.

Murphy owes the club a lot more than Manning.

I'd be surprised if Murphy isn't attracting interest from elsewhere. He's a fairly high profile player based on previous moves (and family members), who's contract is up at the end of the season.

Even if we offer him a new deal, a 'bigger' club could offer a better one and he leaves anyway.
I suspect you're right and that this is what will happen

I suspect it's not as a clear cut as that - he had a miserable 4 years at Cardiff, particularly for a player that cost £11m and did himself no favours at Preston on loan I gather.

Good as he has been recently, surely clubs will look at his fitness record and performances over time? Then again, it seems we didn't...............

I suspect it's not as a clear cut as that - he had a miserable 4 years at Cardiff, particularly for a player that cost £11m and did himself no favours at Preston on loan I gather.

Good as he has been recently, surely clubs will look at his fitness record and performances over time? Then again, it seems we didn't...............
That's my lack of knowledge. I didn't realise that Cardiff shelled out £11m for him. That's nuts.

In which case we go out and find ourselves 2 or 3 reliable pros for the cost and if even one of them turns up with the application and end product of Owen Dale then we’ve won, haven’t we?

This should be a complete win-win for the club if they are prepared enough with alternatives and stick to sensible limits.

Would take retaining Murphy for an extra year over keeping McGuane, Browne and Henry (who are all out of contract this season, even if McGuane and Browne both have optional extensions).

That's one way to balance the books.

Back
Top Bottom