General Josh Ruffels

dickwalton1964

Has to be the most ‘under the radar’ player in our squad. Week after week, month after month he is so consistent. Must be a mangers dream to have a player as dependable as him, I never see him have a bad game.

I’m sure within the squad and by the management he is greatly valued but us fans, myself included, can sometimes take for granted a player that churns out the 7/10 performances game after game.

Just thought he’s worth a mention and a pat on the back because his significant contribution to this team can often get forgotten among the more starry names further upfield.

Well done Josh, keep it up.

One of my friends said exactly the same today.
He has really grown into the left back position and is always a 7 out of 10.
I also like the fact that he is good in the air which helps us defensively against some tall L1 teams.

Liked him since Wilder was there. Used to wince a bit when I would see him and Whing lining up in centre mid, but his attitude is first class. One of my favourite players.

One of my friends said exactly the same today.
He has really grown into the left back position and is always a 7 out of 10.
I also like the fact that he is good in the air which helps us defensively against some tall L1 teams.

Agree about his aerial prowess too. I think for a time he looked a midfielder filling in at left back but that is no longer the case, he’s a very very competent L1 left back now and I rarely see any visiting left back at this level who looks an upgrade on him.

He’s a really good pro. Nearly 250 matches with us and whilst he’s not likely to the one picking up the MOTM every week with flashy performances neither will he the one we’ll all be pointing fingers at for errors or faults. He’s very dependable and gives us options when others get injured or lose form.

He’ll go into that Gary Smart, David Smith, Joe Skarz category. The constant 7 out of 10er.

He’s a really good pro. Nearly 250 matches with us and whilst he’s not likely to the one picking up the MOTM every week with flashy performances neither will he the one we’ll all be pointing fingers at for errors or faults. He’s very dependable and gives us options when others get injured or lose form.

He’ll go into that Gary Smart, David Smith, Joe Skarz category. The constant 7 out of 10er.

He’s miles better than Smart was and I’d say he’s a bit better technically than Skarz was as well as being more mobile.

Pulled off some absolutely delightful moves on the ball yesterday, great skill for a 'makeshift' LB. Also his over lapping runs have improved so much in the last few months that anyone who says he cant be a very good L1 LB playing the attacking football KR wants needs to give their head a wobble.

I think he's come on leaps and bounds in the last 18 months.....

but....

I just would like to see his first touch tighten up a bit; when he receives the ball from say Mousinho his control is not always the best and it often gets away from him, yesterday he had to repeatedly come back inside coz his touch wasn't the best or he had to pass it back to the centre backs.....I'd like to see a full back who can trap it instantly and can then pass it down the line quicker or play it forward, not get closed down as he was often.

But I agree he is solid, dependable and getting so much better in the role going forward. And he's the only left back at the club if Berkoe is the only back up!

I think he's come on leaps and bounds in the last 18 months.....

but....

I just would like to see his first touch tighten up a bit; when he receives the ball from say Mousinho his control is not always the best and it often gets away from him, yesterday he had to repeatedly come back inside coz his touch wasn't the best or he had to pass it back to the centre backs.....I'd like to see a full back who can trap it instantly and can then pass it down the line quicker or play it forward, not get closed down as he was often.

But I agree he is solid, dependable and getting so much better in the role going forward. And he's the only left back at the club if Berkoe is the only back up!
Elechi was highly thought of before injury and Long can be used as a left back so we have options although agree there is no senior left back cover

He’s miles better than Smart was and I’d say he’s a bit better technically than Skarz was as well as being more mobile.

I’m not comparing ability as such. More putting them in that category of unsung. The players who simply get on and get the job done without fanfare.

There have been plenty of others down the years in that category too.

I’m not comparing ability as such. More putting them in that category of unsung. The players who simply get on and get the job done without fanfare.

There have been plenty of others down the years in that category too.

I’d say the king of the unsung heroes - at least in the last 30 years when I’ve been watching - was Les Robinson. Never made the headlines, but (almost) never was anything but solid.

Ruffels ain’t on Robbo’s legend level yet - but he’s probably more than halfway there!

I’d say the king of the unsung heroes - at least in the last 30 years when I’ve been watching - was Les Robinson. Never made the headlines, but (almost) never was anything but solid.

Ruffels ain’t on Robbo’s legend level yet - but he’s probably more than halfway there!
Quality player. Hard to shine next to Elliott, Glichrist, and their very able understudy Purse, but rarely put a foot wrong. That defense with Ford and Whitehead would have damn near taken us up to the Premier League had bloody Leicester not ruined it all.

Pulled off some absolutely delightful moves on the ball yesterday, great skill for a 'makeshift' LB. Also his over lapping runs have improved so much in the last few months that anyone who says he cant be a very good L1 LB playing the attacking football KR wants needs to give their head a wobble.
[/

Ruffels, in my opinion, is at least on a par with Robinson. Longevity doesn’t - or shouldn’t come into it. I think Ruffels is better technically, far superior aerially and links better with those ahead of him. In fairness to Robinson he probably edges it as having a better defensive mindset. Close call but Ruffels for me.

Back
Top Bottom