Current Player #23 Josh Murphy

Back to Murphy.
The underlying issue is that they are identical twins to look at, and when Jacob started showing genuine footballer potential everyone assumed that Joshua was the same. In fact, ever since day one, Josh has never been a top prospect. Good enough for Youth teams but nowhere as skilled as Jacob once they matured. It's taken half a dozen unsuccessful moves around clubs before the football world actually worked that out.
So to some extent you can feel sorry for him in that he would never have made it even if his brother was playing for England. Although that is mitigated by the dosh that he has been fortunate enough to have trousered over the years. Hopefully a different and satisfying career awaits him.

Oh, and I'm Jennifer Love Hewitt and so is my wife.

Norwich fan here.

Just signed up to call out this nonsense. It was actually the case that Josh was always the better rated of the two through the youth system at Norwich.

Which is why he'd played 23 league games for us (including 9 in the Premier League) before Jacob had pulled on a yellow shirt for a league fixture.

Jacob Murphy was given a chance for our first team in the Championship in the 2016-17 season after having impressed out on loan at Coventry in League One the season before. Whilst he was on loan in League One his twin Josh Murphy was playing a full season on loan in the Championship at MK Dons.

Josh Murphy was always seen as a left sided player, Jacob as a right sided player. In the summer window before the 2016-17 season we actually spent just shy of £3m brining in Sergi Canos from Liverpool, only for him to not get in our team after we were massively surprised by the progress that Jacob had made out on loan, he'd come back a different player and Canos couldn't get a sniff.

Josh Murphy was always the big hope. Perhaps the problem is that Josh had too much smoke blown up his a**e and felt he had the world at his feet, and Jacob felt he had to work much harder for the praise. Just speculating, but quite possible.

Last edited:
Norwich fan here.

Just signed up to call out this nonsense. It was actually the case that Josh was always the better rated of the two through the youth system at Norwich.

Which is why he'd played 23 league games for us (including 9 in the Premier League) before Jacob had pulled on a yellow shirt for a league fixture.

Jacob Murphy was given a chance for our first team in the Championship in the 2016-17 season after having impressed out on loan at Coventry in League One the season before. Whilst he was on loan in League One his twin Josh Murphy was playing a full season on loan in the Championship at MK Dons.

Josh Murphy was always seen as a left sided player, Jacob as a right sided player. In the summer window before the 2016-17 season we actually spent just shy of £3m brining in Sergi Canos from Liverpool, only for him to not get in our team after we were massively surprised by the progress that Jacob had made out on loan, he'd come back a different player and Canos couldn't get a sniff.

Josh Murphy was always the big hope. Perhaps the problem is that Josh had too much smoke blown up his a**e and felt he had the world at his feet, and Jacob felt he had to work much harder for the praise. Just speculating, but quite possible.
Thank you for explaining what really happened

Who else had ‘Josh Murphy sprinting like a man possessed from a mile away to close down his fullback before turning down a tempting but difficult opportunity to shoot to instead unselfishly square it’ on their bingo card for tonight?! Because I certainly didn’t!

Whisper it but should Karl be cut some slack because if that’s what he expected to get every week I can see why he signed him…

This was the first thread I wanted to come to having just got home.

What a time for him to turn up and show his class. The two assists were exceptional and if had any doubts about his hunger to play for us, his celebration got rid of a fair few. His expression was full of relief, confidence and determination. His effort was there - he was unrecognisable.

He may just have arrived in time to save us. Browne was sensational 2nd half. Both here next year, just saying. Well done Josh.

Just back from the game. Murphy was a completely different player from the minute he came on. Just so much skill and vision. Would have been easy for him to have taken a shot for the second goal but set up Joseph for a sitter. Something has changed with him and I for one could not be happier. Now for more of the same in Nailsworth

This was the first thread I wanted to come to having just got home.

What a time for him to turn up and show his class. The two assists were exceptional and if had any doubts about his hunger to play for us, his celebration got rid of a fair few. His expression was full of relief, confidence and determination. His effort was there - he was unrecognisable.

He may just have arrived in time to save us. Browne was sensational 2nd half. Both here next year, just saying. Well done Josh.
His expression after setting up the third was quite something. There’s obviously a hell of a story there but we’ll never know. I guess being a footballer isn’t as easy as it looks.

His expression after setting up the third was quite something. There’s obviously a hell of a story there but we’ll never know. I guess being a footballer isn’t as easy as it looks.

The Murphy's are nice kids from an extremely comfortable and loving family (their parents built a large restaurant and then gave ownership to its employees, the Murphy's still return to the Norfolk town the grew up in to do charity work etc.)

Heard stories of Josh Murphy having a bad attitude at Preston and now Oxford. Do have to wonder whether its just clinical depression or something. Its 100% not going to be because he's a bad kid, the twins are decent people from a decent family.

I think much the same about Dele Alli to be honest, clearly suffering from clinical depression or something similar.

Let’s hope whatever needed fixing, is fixed. If it is (and it is only a game and a bit), we’ve got one hell of a player to enjoy next season. But he deserves some gushing support, if nothing else to encourage him to keep doing what he did today.

Superb tonight. Bloody superb. That ball for Brownes header was perfect. His selflessness to pass to Joseph.. I was willing him to get a deserved goal tonight.
Really hope he can do it again on Saturday.
Ran Browne a close 2nd for MOM today

Chuffed to bits for Josh tonight - absolutely immense display and two sublime assists. The pressure he put on their defenders forced errors and he capitalised every single time. Unselfish with the Joseph goal and then a pinpoint cross to find Browne for his. Hopefully this is the turning point not just for the club, but for him and the fans - he clearly has some strong attributes which was demonstrated tonight and now we just need to find that consistency from him and the team. Give him a start at Forest Green and let’s have a repeat!

Who else had ‘Josh Murphy sprinting like a man possessed from a mile away to close down his fullback before turning down a tempting but difficult opportunity to shoot to instead unselfishly square it’ on their bingo card for tonight?! Because I certainly didn’t!

Whisper it but should Karl be cut some slack because if that’s what he expected to get every week I can see why he signed him…
Sorry no!

Back
Top Bottom