Home Match Day Thread 23/01/2024 L1: OUFC vs Barnsley

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carpy

Staff member
Should be our toughest test of recent times this evening if the form table is to be believed

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 17.26.07.png

I get really fucked off how knee jerk everyone is after a defeat!
Yes it wasn’t a great game but is it the end of the world? No!
We are going to lose more games this season as well, even games that we should win but guess what, we will also win more games that we lose and win games we don’t deserve to.

I think anyone would bite their hand off if someone said we would be in the top 6 after 27 games! Especially since we have had just 1 striker and a long line of bad injuries.
We have Goodwin to come in, we will make more signings before next week as well.
After last season this wasn’t going to be a quick fix, especially when the manager you bring in fucks off at the 1st opportunity.

The knee jerk hysterics isn’t needed or helpful.

Rant over.
You’re allowed to be pissed off after such a s**t evening. No one there, terrible game, limp defeat to non-worldbeaters. When we came out I was looking for positives - some very amusing results. But I’m sick of us being overrun in midfield and i hate the three at the back - no width, no outlet, no excitement. What is RR’s position? And Burey looked rubbish.

Positives: Smyth has a really good energy and is worth more game time, maybe as a proper old school right back or as a midfield strengthener.

Poor game of football and clearly conditions played a big part, but Barnsley adapted better than us.

I thought Barnsley pressed us well and we struggled with it.

We looked a bit lightweight when the conditions demanded a bit more strength and grit. McGuane and Rodrigues both way off it tonight.

Too many players who are not ideally suited to the cut and thrust of league one winter football.

Not an easy game for Burey to make his debut, he must have something if he’s played in the Championship for Millwall but I didn’t see any glimpses of that tonight.

We lacked pace.

Brannigan our best player, good to see Leigh back.

Hope Long and Bennett’s injuries are not serious, thought Smyth did ok.

I don’t recall a more lacklustre first 70 minutes at home all season. This is off the back of 10 days off, too!

Buckingham has stated that Long starting was pre-meditated and pre-determined before Saturdays postponement. If that is the case, based upon who Barnsley have upfront (Cole & Cosgrove), then it can go down as nothing other than naivety. On what planet, did he think Long would be sharp enough to come into a back 3 and marshall either of them effectively? Long certainly didn’t.

Elliot Moore and Brown were both way off the pace. I’ve not seen Elliot Moore miss more headers and Brown misplace more passes all season.

Brannagan was head and shoulders above every other player in yellow.

People are communicating that the conditions made it a lottery. If that is the case, we didn’t buy the right ticket, as our in game management was not up to the standard of Barnsley’s.

For the first time, I’m finding myself really question if this squad has what it takes to get into the play offs this season. Since Des came in, we’ve taken 1 point from 12 against those in the top 6. It’s not knee jerk or reactionary to say that a return like that, is not going to be sufficient to secure a play off place.

We’ve a soft under belly in midfield and in the CF area. We are too easy to dominate when playing the stronger sides in this league and have been for some time. That isn’t a ‘Desism’ but he needs to address it to get us more bite in the middle.

The next 10 days are huge. 6 points are an absolute minimum requirement.

Final word for the crowd. Fair play if you were one of the other 6400 or so home fans that bothered tonight 👍🏼. Shame the atmosphere was absolutely garbage.
Sums it all up well. Pace, that's the word. We don't have any. No impetus to get forward until it's all too late. I'm all for building from the back and good passing moves but, the moment we get pressed, it all goes to pot.
Too many players just not playing to their expected level. A frustrating and irritating evening.

He definitely wasn't the reason we lost but despite time apart, Stevens and him still looked poor together. The amount of time and space they gave that number 7 in the first half was criminal. He lacked pace but had a sweet left foot and they decided to just leave him free time and time again.
That was Nicky Cadden, ex target of ours. If you’re going to play wingbacks you need players like that.

Can’t imagine the crowd inspired the players either, tbh.

Barnsley fans hardly inspired their players but they had no problem in the first half putting in a decent display. We were lucky not to be 2 or 3 down at half time.

Can’t imagine the crowd inspired the players either, tbh.
Yeh the back passing and tip tappy waste of time football really lifted the spirits and got the crowd going. I think the throws in half way in the opposition half and almost every single time thrown backwards and within 2 or 3 touches going back to our own keeper really had everyone excited and on the edge of their seats.

Some thoughts from tonight..

That chance in the first half and the one early in the second half that Harris had you would have expected a more accomplished finisher to put away. The one in the second half all he had to do was round the keeper but decided to chip it at him. I like Harris a lot but tonight showed his finishing up.

Bennett has been great for us and I hope it's not a serious one but Greg Leigh showed what we have been missing. He was excellent. He got very frustrated with Brannagan at times as he ignored him more than once when he was in space down the left.

I thought Smith was class tonight. He showed composure, great touch, drive and an ability to pass. On this showing, I definitely would like to see him in central midfield.

McGuane was not great tonight. A bit negative. Needs competition and JM isn't it. See Smith above.

We didn't get Burey into the game or he didn't get himself into it, I can't quite tell which.

That was Brown's poorest game with the ball I have seen.

I can see why he started Long but he and Stevens have never looked good together and didn't tonight, giving that no 7 so much space. Hopefully Long's head injury is not serious.

Looking at how Barnsley whip balls in, why does Brannigan float every corner and set piece in? Have we got nobody who can whip a ball into to vary it?

I thought second half was much better which makes sense with the conditions as they were. I'm not too down hearted as although our decision making let us down at times (Goodrham etc), I thought it was a tight game and a draw would have been fair. Second half there was signs of how Des wants to play. No need to panic. Barnsley will be around the playoffs but are no Derby or Peterborough.

Last edited:
I don’t recall a more lacklustre first 70 minutes at home all season. This is off the back of 10 days off, too!

Buckingham has stated that Long starting was pre-meditated and pre-determined before Saturdays postponement. If that is the case, based upon who Barnsley have upfront (Cole & Cosgrove), then it can go down as nothing other than naivety. On what planet, did he think Long would be sharp enough to come into a back 3 and marshall either of them effectively? Long certainly didn’t.

Elliot Moore and Brown were both way off the pace. I’ve not seen Elliot Moore miss more headers and Brown misplace more passes all season.

People are communicating that the conditions made it a lottery. If that is the case, we didn’t buy the right ticket, as our in game management was not up to the standard of Barnsley’s.

For the first time, I’m finding myself really question if this squad has what it takes to get into the play offs this season. Since Des came in, we’ve taken 1 point from 12 against those in the top 6. It’s not knee jerk or reactionary to say that a return like that, is not going to be sufficient to secure a play off place.

We’ve a soft under belly in midfield and in the CF area. We are too easy to dominate when playing the stronger sides in this league and have been for some time. That isn’t a ‘Desism’ but he needs to address it to get us more bite in the middle.

Final word for the crowd. Fair play if you were one of the other 6400 or so home fans that bothered tonight 👍🏼. Shame the atmosphere was absolutely garbage.

Brown must have passed the ball out of play on 7 or 8 occasions tonight. He had a mare but I can’t fault his commitment.

Oxford’s real problems lie in the centre of the park. We simply didn’t land on too many balls and lost countless duels against physical opponents.

Having said that Barnsley’s high press was very impressive - suffocating us for long periods. We just could not play through it and were forced to play sideways and back far too often. We certainly lack pace which doesn’t help.

Last edited:

Brannagan failed to spot Leigh on a number of occasions when in so much space. Choosing to turn inside. Leigh was visably frustrated. I thought Leigh was the best player in yellow followed by Smith.

The conditions made it hard for the CBs to judge balls in the air, it was exactly the same for the Barnsley CBs who made some howlers too so I think it is harsh to judge Moore and Browne on that. I agree about Brown's passing though!!

Sat there watching that with 6k fans was like turning back the clock to some of the Wilder years.

Watching Long and Stevens giving acres of space to Kane and Cadden at times was akin to some of those days as well.

Minor gripe.. why do the ball boys not wear OUFC kit? It’s not a lot to ask to have them all looking the same in proper kit. I’m not surprised the lad in the p1ssing wet, grey joggers in front of the North Stand looked so despondent sat there on his phone.

Brannigan failed to spot Leigh on a number of occasions when in so much space. Choosing to turn inside. Leigh was visably frustrated. I thought Leigh was the best player in yellow followed by Smith.

The conditions made it hard for the CBs to judge balls in the air, it was exactly the same for the Barnsley CBs who made some howlers too so I think it is harsh to judge Moore and Browne on that. I agree about Brown's passing though!!

Moore would be my player of the season if we were voting now, he’s been excellent. I just didn’t think he was his commanding self this evening, particularly in the air, but he looked less assured with the ball to feet, too.

Sums it all up well. Pace, that's the word. We don't have any. No impetus to get forward until it's all too late. I'm all for building from the back and good passing moves but, the moment we get pressed, it all goes to pot.
Too many players just not playing to their expected level. A frustrating and irritating evening.

It’s all one paced - we recruit the same ‘type’ over again. We lack any player that can just carry us 20/30 yards up the pitch. Was the same vs Derby. The bench is all the same…mceachran, henry.

We lack athleticism (I don’t just mean a big nasty bastard in midfield, but players that can go box to box, have an engine and that can physically compete).

We struggle to progress the ball through midfield, this feels like a system thing. McGuane could be Baptiste-esque with his skill set but decides to shuttle it left or right instead rather than breaking lines by carrying.

Lots to do, a miserable night at the breeze block

I think the lack of midfield physicality shows when we play a back 3, a lot of it is wing play and the main play through the centre is picking it up and recycling possession back out wide. Barnsley executed this perfectly with Russell and Phillips being the water carriers for Kane (who was the best player on the park by an absolute mile) allowing him to spread play. Mcguane and Cam didn’t get near him because they were man marked throughout, I’d liked to have seen us try this with Smyth and Cam allowing Mcguane to have the ball 20 yards higher up the pitch. You saw the difference in time that Mceachran and Cam had when Ruben dropped into the 10 after switching to a back 4, someone between the lines who made Barnsley’s midfield pick him up - this has to be the way going forward imo, Ruben is our 2nd best player (and don’t think he was as bad as suggested tonight) so would love us to fully utilise his strengths. I have a lot of faith in Des still and can see what he’s trying to do, but there’s only so much you can do with a depleted squad in tricky conditions. Saturday will be tough and very much like tonight I would expect, but next Tuesday against Portsmouth I think we may enjoy the underdog tag and put in a much better performance

Just listened to Wasn’t at the Game on BBC Sounds, and once again the version available ends before the show finishes. Didn’t get to hear Des’ thoughts

What did he have to say?

So much for 5-3 😉

Not dishing out much pelters tonight as it was very tricky to play decent football out there.

But if you’re not going to start shooting at goal till the 84th minute with a very strong wind at your backs then you sort of deserve what happened.

Too many ‘stars’ didn’t fancy it tonight , they know who they are.

Things also looked up considerably once the full backs got replaced. Was Long sure what position he was playing? Or Stevens? It was inadequate and Barnsley took the points home in consequence

Smyth has got to start; don’t really care where, think he’s a baller.

‘Tyson Fury’ faced difficult conditions for his debut; he too didn’t seem to know where he was playing.Also Bran put in a shift; he always does.

Barnsley alright, nothing special. Their 2 had Tyler G in his pocket for most of the game, while 22 was useful and Herb Kane is positionally excellent, he’s not scared to slow it down. McG’s problem is he can’t speed up,; clearly thinking about the old polski slep. McE deserves to start on Sat. Or Smyth, but I guess he’ll be at right back.

Let’s not get too down about it; those were pretty brutal conditions.

Last edited:
seriously can’t remember the last game that we looked exciting and dominant in. Was well before Manning left. Those excellent performances early in the season seem like a distant memory now. Can remember that high press and us looking dangerous in most games early on. I’m not sure what our style is supposed to be now and whatever it is I’m not sure the players are buying into it.

Maybe from March onwards we will look better again when the sun comes back out.

Back
Top Bottom