Home Match Day Thread 23/01/2024 L1: OUFC vs Barnsley

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carpy

Staff member
Should be our toughest test of recent times this evening if the form table is to be believed

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 17.26.07.png

Tonights Referee is Lee Swabey

in 12 L1/L2 matches this season he's issued 61 yellow cards and 2 red cards

Yes, of course you aim to win every game, but there can be no such thing as a 'must win' game until it becomes mathematically a 'must win'. That is the only time a game becomes 'must win'. We can lose tonight and still go up as champions - yes, it becomes slightly more difficult and some where down the line there might be a game where we must win that looms a bit sooner than we hoped. That's the only time that daft phrase is churned out with any proper meaning.
Ciaron Brown has today entered the chat:

1706009137401.png

Beating them at the Manor on the last day of 96/97 season (when they were playing like Brazil in getting to the Premier League, but were clearly already on a beach in Brazil...) is always the game I think of when I think of Barnsley for some reason.

Joey with a very wind-assisted goal straight from a corner is surely a good omen!
I think of that one, plus the one last game of the 1984/5 season which we won 4-0 to claim the old Division 2 Championship (now The Championship). That was the only game I watched at The Manor from the Cuckoo Lane, it was a split terrace back then and half full with Oxford fans. This was unfortunately the same day as the Bradford City fire.

It's reasonable to hope for a draw if you know you're playing a team who are better than you. I'm not quite sure where we and Barnsley stand at the moment; I'd have been happy with a draw against Derby as they were much better than us.
I hope for a win. We are virtually level with Barnsley in the league.
They are in some form, but ours is decent and we have players coming back ( will Leigh/ Burey start?)
If we have any chance of promotion, we need to look to beat teams close to us at home in my view.

In general I prefer evening games under the lights, the atmosphere is somehow better, even though they’re a pain to get to on time sometimes!

As for tonight it sounds like the wind is going to make it a lottery, especially when the open end is where the prevailing wind comes from. Who’s idiotic decision was it to have the west side of the ground open?

Prediction 1-1 Brannigan.

Far too many draws in that run - very poor.
We messed up about 3 chances to seal promotion during that late run of draws, but it did set up the glorious game against Orient where we finally got over the line. Bank Holiday Monday, early kick-off I seem to remember. We had half of their ground, and a lot of Oxford fans were removed from celebrating on their pitch before and after the game, being placed into a 'holding area' at the corner of the pitch. Mad, mad day, and one of my all-time favourite away trips.

Yes I remember the orient match as if it was yesterday. Arrived about midday for evening kick off . 8 of us in an old Ford Cortina, i was in my favourite position, in the boot. I remember running on the pitch as we thought the game was over, because the ref blew his whistle. Not for the end of the match, but for a free kick. Definitely was a brilliant crazy day..

Obviously we should be aiming to win, but the weather will make the game a lottery. It's another reason we need to get out of the Kassam, there's just no way we can train for and execute a game plan with an open west end in conditions like this (unless we set ourselves up like Wycombe). 2-1 to us with a Brannagan screamer on 85+ minutes.

Back
Top Bottom