Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, on reflection, here's what's worrying me this evening......

Findlay was an outstanding signing, no question. He's going to be a rock this season. And all the re-signings were great.

But for our other 'new' signings, I can't shake the feeling that we've signed them all on the basis of either pedigree or potential, but not recent performances.
Neither Jones nor Murphy started a league game in 2021/22; Bate started one and most mostly playing in the reserves; Wildschut and McGinty were both playing in leagues that don't bear a great deal of resemblance to League One; Joseph was the closest to having recent form, and he only started 13 games last year.

Not saying for a second that any of them are bad signings - way too early to think like that. But I think it is fair to say that, four games into the season, we're still waiting for any of them to make a significant contribution (with the exception of McGinty's up-and-down debut, and he was always one for the future). Compare to the likes of Ipswich and Wednesday, who've been able to throw several of their new recruits in from day one and are getting off to a fast start.

Again, not saying that they won't come good. But all of them feel like 'High Risk, High Reward' signings, and I'm not 100% sure what we're going to get from any of them right now.

Which is all to say, I would love for our next signing to be the 2022 equivalent of Joe Skarz. A steady-as-you-like full back that we can all have complete confidence is going to go right into the team from day one and be solid.

Exactly. Why the bloody hell we don’t put the ball into the box is beyond me.
We did quite a lot in the first half. Browne and Henry put some dangerous ones in. No one could get in the end though.

We did quite a lot in the first half. Browne and Henry put some dangerous ones in. No one could get in the end though.
They did? I missed this. Our crossing, Taylor aside, was shocking! Over hit, and in Henry’s case, twice wasted, didn’t even make the box, ended up playing it out for a goal kick. I was surprised by Henry’s extension, and after yesterday, even more so, one of his worst games in my opinion.

They did? I missed this. Our crossing, Taylor aside, was shocking! Over hit, and in Henry’s case, twice wasted, didn’t even make the box, ended up playing it out for a goal kick. I was surprised by Henry’s extension, and after yesterday, even more so, one of his worst games in my opinion.
Exactly how I saw it too, plus you can add Bodin’s contribution (same as Henry & Browne). Been so disappointed with Browne, basically swans around thinking he’s the big I am, and when he doesn’t get his way seems to sulk and go missing.

Exactly how I saw it too, plus you can add Bodin’s contribution (same as Henry & Browne). Been so disappointed with Browne, basically swans around thinking he’s the big I am, and when he doesn’t get his way seems to sulk and go missing.
That seems unfair. I think his attitude has been fine. There was a moment yesterday when Bodin shot from distance and it trickled straight into the keepers arms. Browne was pretty much free on goal to the right of him and I expected a reaction but he just got straight back into position with no fuss.

I've also noticed he's one of the first to put his arms around the younger guys in the team. Seems to just get on with his job most of the time, think we haven't noticed him much because we're not playing to his strengths. Should have been playing where Bodin was yesterday, as he was the only one given space consistently but didn't have the pace to make the most of it.

Our final ball was awful yesterday. Having looked on top early on we couldn’t get the goal & with Henry & Bodin both starting we were too slow & predictable. They’re both great players in my opinion, but only one should be starting & more pace out wide is needed for the way we want to play. Rovers didn’t look a great side but wanted it more than us & how did Henry miss that ball back in from Taylor??

That seems unfair. I think his attitude has been fine. There was a moment yesterday when Bodin shot from distance and it trickled straight into the keepers arms. Browne was pretty much free on goal to the right of him and I expected a reaction but he just got straight back into position with no fuss.

I've also noticed he's one of the first to put his arms around the younger guys in the team. Seems to just get on with his job most of the time, think we haven't noticed him much because we're not playing to his strengths. Should have been playing where Bodin was yesterday, as he was the only one given space consistently but didn't have the pace to make the most of it.
Fair point regarding playing to his strengths and where he is positioned, and feel he is trying, but he also needs to go looking for work more. Immense talent, and whilst I note it is early in respect of his return from injury, would nevertheless like to see him working more off the ball (empty the tank if necessary after 60 minutes).

Still think we are going to end up playing 3-5-2 especially if another Striker comes in, having 4 and
playing only 1 makes no sense, even if 1 of them is injury prone.

If we go 3-5-2 our CBs could be either Long-Moore-Findlay or Moore-Findlay-Brown, i would happy enough
with either of those combo`s tbh, but the question of where do players like Windschutt, Murphy and Jones
fit in becomes a problem, unless you do what i suspect KR is very capable of doing and thats just dropping
the idea of having 2 wing backs and replacing one of them with a deep lying winger, very much how it plays
out with Long staying back and Seddon given licence to get forward with 2 CBs, with 3 CBs ...

Something like this.

lineup(4).png

Goalkeepers : Eastwood and Stevens much of a muchness imo, neither of them good enough with distribution,
McGinty still feels a bit raw, this could be a problem area and one i would have looked to upgrade with a Jordan
Archer type of keeper, Stevens out on loan makes sense in that it freed up a spot for McGinty who i guess will
get his chance sooner rather than later. Fingers crossed.

Defence : 4 players covering 3 spots with Golding and Mousinho backing up, also the possibility to revert to a
back 4 if needed, just about fair enough.

Wing Backs/Wingers : A new quality RWB is a must and with 3 players per position that area is well stocked, expect rotation
and lots of subbing, Brown and Long give us decent depth and options here. Would probably try and replace Seddon, think
he deserves a shot with 3 behind him rather than 2 but his passing/crossing just isnt good enough consistently.

CM : 4 Players covering 2 spots, another cm would be good especially as Gorrin needs to re-convince me.

AM/SS Browne, Bodin and Henry for 1 spot, nice.

S : One more quality striker and we are good to go.

My guess is that the current 4-2-3-1 is just a stop gap until we get all the Strikers in and a few others up to match fitness,
could be another couple of weeks before we see 3-5-2, Like i said just a guess and it could turn out to be a load of old
crap, lets see.

Still think we are going to end up playing 3-5-2 especially if another Striker comes in, having 4 and
playing only 1 makes no sense, even if 1 of them is injury prone.

If we go 3-5-2 our CBs could be either Long-Moore-Findlay or Moore-Findlay-Brown, i would happy enough
with either of those combo`s tbh, but the question of where do players like Windschutt, Murphy and Jones
fit in becomes a problem, unless you do what i suspect KR is very capable of doing and thats just dropping
the idea of having 2 wing backs and replacing one of them with a deep lying winger, very much how it plays
out with Long staying back and Seddon given licence to get forward with 2 CBs, with 3 CBs ...

Something like this.

View attachment 9780

Goalkeepers : Eastwood and Stevens much of a muchness imo, neither of them good enough with distribution,
McGinty still feels a bit raw, this could be a problem area and one i would have looked to upgrade with a Jordan
Archer type of keeper, Stevens out on loan makes sense in that it freed up a spot for McGinty who i guess will
get his chance sooner rather than later. Fingers crossed.

Defence : 4 players covering 3 spots with Golding and Mousinho backing up, also the possibility to revert to a
back 4 if needed, just about fair enough.

Wing Backs/Wingers : A new quality RWB is a must and with 3 players per position that area is well stocked, expect rotation
and lots of subbing, Brown and Long give us decent depth and options here. Would probably try and replace Seddon, think
he deserves a shot with 3 behind him rather than 2 but his passing/crossing just isnt good enough consistently.

CM : 4 Players covering 2 spots, another cm would be good especially as Gorrin needs to re-convince me.

AM/SS Browne, Bodin and Henry for 1 spot, nice.

S : One more quality striker and we are good to go.

My guess is that the current 4-2-3-1 is just a stop gap until we get all the Strikers in and a few others up to match fitness,
could be another couple of weeks before we see 3-5-2, Like i said just a guess and it could turn out to be a load of old
crap, lets see.
Are you ITK regarding this new keeper you have down as starting?

I have to say I was never, ever convinced by Archer. Decision making was a bit iffy and I trust him on crosses as much as Eastwood and Stevens (not much).

7 Goals conceded in 7 with 3 clean sheets, not amazing but he came in and did the job he was supposed to do, thought his distribution
was on a different level to Eastwood or Stevens, even if the rest of his play is similar to those 2 thats already a big enough bonus for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom