Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn’t even have to be called that - just an experienced business person to handle recruitment and contracts.

I think it really depends on who we're missing out on.

So far, and only going off the bits and piece we're talking about on here we've potentially lost Nicky Cadden to Barnsley. Now they might not be the most glamorous of clubs, but they've spent the last few years in the Championship and will likely be able to offer more than us. It looks like we put a counter offer in, but if Barnsley out bid us again there comes a point when you have to move on.

Jodi Jones. Out of contract and had a really bad run of things lately. He knows that another bad injury and his career is pretty much done, so if a Championship club (even if it is Reading) are interested and offering him a better fixed contract rather than the pay as you play that we were looking at then he'd be insane not to at least check them out.

Darragh Burns is a good prospect, no doubt about that. But maybe one that needs a good 6 months or so developing behind the scenes before being ready to make an impression in the first team. MK Dons were looking too, and off the back of their Scott Twine money, maybe they've offered more than we were willing to. If we've looked at Dawson Devoy as an alternative then that's maybe not so much of a hit.

Eoin Toal has been on our radar, but has turned down an offer from Bolton and nay well have done the same with us. Bolton have a great record at bringing Irish players over and flights/ferries from Liverpool to Ireland makes coming and going home easy.

Nathan Holland was offered a deal, and on more money than MK Dons. However he wanted firstvteam football and (rightly) we couldn't give him that assurance. He left for footballing reasons alone, and that's his choice.

Now, I'm sure there have been others, Sammie Szmodics no longer available, Cardiff looking to get what as much as they can for Whyte (having giving us best part of £2m a couple of years ago) as examples. But there's nothing to show that we're fundamentally failing to get deals done because of who we have doing them.

Let's see what this week brings because, as I've said, I think 3 is the minimum we need to bring in.
I think we need to bring in six players (if we are serious about trying to get promoted).

Have to say Scotch, I think you're beginning to see the light. From your post you can see we're in a tough spot.

I think we need to bring in six players (if we are serious about trying to get promoted).

Have to say Scotch, I think you're beginning to see the light. From your post you can see we're in a tough spot.

It very much depends how close some of these deals are, and who they're for. If we know that Cadden has gone elsewhere then I'd look to get Dominic Thompson is ASAP from Brentford before they go to Germany for a training camp. He was at Ipswich for the second half of last season so is league 1 ready.

Findlay is in the country and (I think) will be at the training ground tomorrow to sign. He should be fit and ready to go so can hopefully get some minutes this week and time with the team. I'd certainly hope that he is ready to start with Moore against Coventry.

We need someone on the right, and we've definitely been in talks with Cardiff for Gavin Whyte. There would have been no issue with him playing this weekend and will get some yards in his legs ahead of a return. Cardiff will want to cover some of their losses, but they know that he's gone next season anyway so a deal is very possible.

It also sounds like a deal for Tyler Morton is as good as done, but he's likely to go to the far east with Liverpool and won't be back until next weekend so likely to join after but maybe in time for the West Brom game.

Get those 4 deals done and things are looking significantly better.

Yeah I have no idea, maybe Karl just needs to let him get on with it. We seem to identify targets well enough but not tie them up.

Your absolutely right! You have no idea.

So before you come on here name calling people, and acting like a child. Sit and think! “Actually some of the people talking negatively might know a thing or two about what’s going on at the club”.

But does he have the business acumen and experience to negotiate contracts and fees and deal with agents? I'm doubting his ability in that sense.
Yes he does. Contracts (player package) and fee discussions start with him but it’s KR and the Board that make the decisions when presented with options on players and costs. Although KR has very strong opinions on what he wants or likes. So it’s not just the recruitment/analysis team’s decisions. And of course agents and players get a vote too and, despite our unwavering belief that every footballer would want to come to Oxford, sadly that’s not the case. Many feel we over perform against our budget/size of club and relatively small fan base. And don’t want to take the risk that there’s a bad season looming. Although being close to London works in our favour with some. As for “dealing with agents” - yes again. All day, every day.

Well done for spotting. I said that I'd got it wrong (as did others who are pretty close to things at the club)
For those that ever believed in it, Scotchers ITK status has been long buried (not just on the Sinclair issue). The tedious series of “there is the possibility of” “we could well be considering “ “possibly next week or sooner” “let’s wait and see shall we?” (Ie until everyone’s forgotten what i said) has grown fainter and fainter. He likes to support the club (we all do) but the ridiculous defence he often puts forward is extremely tiresome. It would be lovely to hear a little bit of realism once in a while. How about “It’s disappointing that there have been no incoming exciting players so far in this window.” “Looking at a player of Sinclair’s ability is not what we were led to believe would be happening” “Our defence still looks desperately weak and in need of more than one extra central defender “ “The robust, strong central midfielders we all know we need have not materialised” etc etc
Cue, Scotchers: “Let’s wait and see, shall we?”
Hhhhmmmm……

It very much depends how close some of these deals are, and who they're for. If we know that Cadden has gone elsewhere then I'd look to get Dominic Thompson is ASAP from Brentford before they go to Germany for a training camp. He was at Ipswich for the second half of last season so is league 1 ready.

Findlay is in the country and (I think) will be at the training ground tomorrow to sign. He should be fit and ready to go so can hopefully get some minutes this week and time with the team. I'd certainly hope that he is ready to start with Moore against Coventry.

We need someone on the right, and we've definitely been in talks with Cardiff for Gavin Whyte. There would have been no issue with him playing this weekend and will get some yards in his legs ahead of a return. Cardiff will want to cover some of their losses, but they know that he's gone next season anyway so a deal is very possible.

It also sounds like a deal for Tyler Morton is as good as done, but he's likely to go to the far east with Liverpool and won't be back until next weekend so likely to join after but maybe in time for the West Brom game.

Get those 4 deals done and things are looking significantly better.
I very much agree, get these 4 done and things will look better. However with a sensible head on some important points:

Cadden we’ve been looking at or wanting for 12 months or more. We should have tied this one up ages ago if he really sees us as his next move. If not we should have moved on long ago and Thompson or whoever it may be should already be here.
We desperately need similar as a right back option, both to cover and compete with Sam Long, who may be needed as CB cover or if he gets injured (slightly worrying already that he didn’t feature yesterday)

Findley great if he signs which seems almost certain tomorrow?

Tyler Morton would no doubt be a bit of coup, but other than youtube clips i don’t know much about him. Clearly he’s very highly regarded, my only fear is he may be slightly lightweight and i‘m really not sure how much we can rely on just Gorrin as the other central holding midfield option. AG is probably nowhere near ready to play regularly and cope with the demands of league one just yet (again didn’t even get any minutes in yesterday). So do we still need another solid league one option for the middle of the park with the height and physical presence our side has lacked for several years?

Gavin Whyte I’d love back with us permanently, but why has it taken so long if a deal is on its way? This should have been sorted out at the end of last season and the deal done and with us ready for the start of our pre-season. Ok Cardiff may have wanted replacements first but they made signings weeks ago, so whilst I really hope we get him asap, it’s taken far too long. If we don’t get him we should again have moved on weeks ago in all honesty.

Just to add further, another striker if we sign one needs to again be someone with height and physicality who can offer something different either from the start or as an impact substitute. We need plans B and C from the start and during games, and need different types of players to give us that.

Finally, please please don’t sign Sinclair, he’s just not good enough and I’d rather we gave one of our youngsters the equivalent game time.

The next week or two are massive to demonstrate our real intentions this season, hopefully we’ll come up with the goods, and also get some solid players with the physical presence we so badly need to compete, and compliment our existing best players.

Yes we've had a s**t window, but whose fault is it? So say months of preparation has gone into the planning. Why have the majority of other teams below us and above us got settled squads or more or less there. We've all bought and sold under the same conditions, so there's no excuse for us still being 6/7 players short. The resulting squad or lack of it falls simply down to the manager.
We've heard about targets being set up, better budgets, yet here we are, even people we've had training with us, who some on the forum spoke of as already an Oxford player, has played for Reading this afternoon.

Will they look back and the week spent training in Spain, would have been better spent taking transfers and showing potential signings around the club. What was the logic of spending all that money and time in Spain if you don't use the time to match yourself against others in friendlies. Couldn't they have trained here, and saved money?
IIRC they couldn't train here as the training ground is undergoing a major upgrade so they just altered things about a bit and went to Spain a week or so early. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

For those that ever believed in it, Scotchers ITK status has been long buried (not just on the Sinclair issue). The tedious series of “there is the possibility of” “we could well be considering “ “possibly next week or sooner” “let’s wait and see shall we?” (Ie until everyone’s forgotten what i said) has grown fainter and fainter. He likes to support the club (we all do) but the ridiculous defence he often puts forward is extremely tiresome. It would be lovely to hear a little bit of realism once in a while. How about “It’s disappointing that there have been no incoming exciting players so far in this window.” “Looking at a player of Sinclair’s ability is not what we were led to believe would be happening” “Our defence still looks desperately weak and in need of more than one extra central defender “ “The robust, strong central midfielders we all know we need have not materialised” etc etc
Cue, Scotchers: “Let’s wait and see, shall we?”
Hhhhmmmm……

Great post and very true. His credibility is in tatters and his defence of all things OUFC has gone beyond ridiculous - there’s an almost laughable side to it now, where you know the seriousness of anything he says has long gone and it’s a case of raising a smile at the level of absurdity he can reach.

I don’t doubt he has some sort of contact within the club, the problem I can see is that the contact is woefully short of any worthwhile inside information. It’s all guesswork.

This window might, just might, work out ok in the end but it’s been shambolic thus far - indefensible. When, with 21 days to kick off, you see Sinclair on trial as the third striker option - and just one defensive cover signing made - that’s when you conclusively know that this window has been a disaster in identification, timing and quality.

I very much agree, get these 4 done and things will look better. However with a sensible head on some important points:

Cadden we’ve been looking at or wanting for 12 months or more. We should have tied this one up ages ago if he really sees us as his next move. If not we should have moved on long ago and Thompson or whoever it may be should already be here.
We desperately need similar as a right back option, both to cover and compete with Sam Long, who may be needed as CB cover or if he gets injured (slightly worrying already that he didn’t feature yesterday)

Findley great if he signs which seems almost certain tomorrow?

Tyler Morton would no doubt be a bit of coup, but other than youtube clips i don’t know much about him. Clearly he’s very highly regarded, my only fear is he may be slightly lightweight and i‘m really not sure how much we can rely on just Gorrin as the other central holding midfield option. AG is probably nowhere near ready to play regularly and cope with the demands of league one just yet (again didn’t even get any minutes in yesterday). So do we still need another solid league one option for the middle of the park with the height and physical presence our side has lacked for several years?

Gavin Whyte I’d love back with us permanently, but why has it taken so long if a deal is on its way? This should have been sorted out at the end of last season and the deal done and with us ready for the start of our pre-season. Ok Cardiff may have wanted replacements first but they made signings weeks ago, so whilst I really hope we get him asap, it’s taken far too long. If we don’t get him we should again have moved on weeks ago in all honesty.

Just to add further, another striker if we sign one needs to again be someone with height and physicality who can offer something different either from the start or as an impact substitute. We need plans B and C from the start and during games, and need different types of players to give us that.

Finally, please please don’t sign Sinclair, he’s just not good enough and I’d rather we gave one of our youngsters the equivalent game time.

The next week or two are massive to demonstrate our real intentions this season, hopefully we’ll come up with the goods, and also get some solid players with the physical presence we so badly need to compete, and compliment our existing best players.
Will firstly comment about GW, If you were him would you take the only offer that moment or wait and see what your parent clubs plans are and whether any other offers materialise?

Tyler Morton. You acknowledge he is highly regarded and given that's by one of the best coaches out there, do you not think that with the talent and stature available at such a massive club he would of gotten anywhere near the first team.

Great post and very true. His credibility is in tatters and his defence of all things OUFC has gone beyond ridiculous - there’s an almost laughable side to it now, where you know the seriousness of anything he says has long gone and it’s a case of raising a smile at the level of absurdity he can reach.

I don’t doubt he has some sort of contact within the club, the problem I can see is that the contact is woefully short of any worthwhile inside information. It’s all guesswork.

This window might, just might, work out ok in the end but it’s been shambolic thus far - indefensible. When, with 21 days to kick off, you see Sinclair on trial as the third striker option - and just one defensive cover signing made - that’s when you conclusively know that this window has been a disaster in identification, timing and quality.
I don’t really want to single out Scotchers as the worst example of misinformation, but his arrogant dismissal of anyone who has an alternative view to his becomes tedious in the extreme. This is a forum for discussion, not aggressive bullying of other posters.

Will firstly comment about GW, If you were him would you take the only offer that moment or wait and see what your parent clubs plans are and whether any other offers materialise?

Tyler Morton. You acknowledge he is highly regarded and given that's by one of the best coaches out there, do you not think that with the talent and stature available at such a massive club he would of gotten anywhere near the first team.

Regarding Whyte, surely all serious offers would have been made to him by now ? The season finished 10 weeks ago. I suppose he could just hang on to see if can stay in the championship as a back up somewhere but I’m not sure there’s going to be huge interest at that level for a player who hasn’t been a success at Cardiff.

Hayden Roberts signed for Derby, yesterday. Wasn’t he the player we were going for/ looking at on the last deadline day and then got ciaron brown??

I don’t really want to single out Scotchers as the worst example of misinformation, but his arrogant dismissal of anyone who has an alternative view to his becomes tedious in the extreme. This is a forum for discussion, not aggressive bullying of other posters.
Those posts aren’t much better and don’t exactly portray you as the bigger person. If you’re that sick of anybody just ignore them.

re GW I think his parent clubs intentions were clear by letting him come to us for the duration of last season and I’m sure would have told him hes not in their plans moving forward. Other offers may be there I agree, but again his agent must have known about these for some time and if we are acting aggressive, and like a supposed top 30 club, could we not have tied something up by now if he is coming to us?

Not sure I totally get what your saying about TM? I think he’d be a “potentially” great loan. My point was if we sign him which is strongly muted on here would we still not need a further stronger midfielder with physical presence as an option? AG may be some way off being ready and may struggle following a very serious injury? We’ve been too lightweight for years now in the middle and from set pieces especially, so my point is we need balance with some “bigger” players being in the squad.

Regarding Whyte, surely all serious offers would have been made to him by now ? The season finished 10 weeks ago. I suppose he could just hang on to see if can stay in the championship as a back up somewhere but I’m not sure there’s going to be huge interest at that level for a player who hasn’t been a success at Cardiff.
I think we both know that Agents will advise hold fire, let's check with clubs p q r ....The players and Agents hold all the aces

He isn’t the only one but is irrationality at defending the indefensible is unequalled.

This is the bloke that says we could sign a plethora of players two weeks before the season starts and they‘d all fit seamlessly into our team pattern. He’s in cloud cuckoo land, at this stage if we sign five or six more it is going to be probably into mid to late September before we see Robinson fielding a side he’d genuinely call his strongest starting eleven.

I honestly don’t know where this negativity is coming from!

We have the most settled group of core players have have had in years, have held into players that we didn’t expect to (Moore, Brannagan), and look like we’re about to sign a top centre half and an exciting youngster from Liverpool.

Why are we so hung up on when the business is done? If it’s the right business then that’s all that matters isn’t it??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom