Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only saving grace for me in all this is that our recruitment shouldn't be that complicated.
Our dreamboats are already at the club in my opinion. Moore, Cambran, Henry, Browne, Bodin, Taylor and Baldock. Exceptional for L1.
We are going for solid, resilient, dependable, injury free footballers who give these guys the platform aren't we?
Baldock, Henry, Browne injury free? without the additional 6/7 players on board, the first injury will result in "Bare bone scenario."

Are you both talking change of manger or introduction of a Director of football, because there is not a cat in hells chance of robinson accepting anyone taking the reins from his hands.

Well clearly a change in manager who will let a director of football do all the transfer buisness and let the manager/coach concentrate on tactics and training. Too late now though, let's just hope we have a season chasing the play offs so the attendances don't drop off.

Recruitment team have been, and still appear to be good at picking and finding talented players that fit the system.

Unfortunately it appears they need a lot of help in the important bit. Director of football is what we need. If we want to be a top 30 football club we need to start acting like one. I'm not sure players are seeing that at the moment.

Unless the board has been told that the manager doesn’t want somebody working above him unless he gets to personally select them, and they’ve (quite amazingly) agreed to it while he then says that he doesn’t feel he needs anyone at the moment unless Steve Gallen magically decides to sign up?

The board certainly had no problem with coughing up over a million pounds to redecorate and refurbish the entire training complex this summer, nor spending (and turning down) boat loads of money on signing and keeping players over the last year, so I’m not sure there’s a lack of cash or a lack of willingness to invest in a key member of staff. They paid half a million quid in wages and loan fees to sign Herbie Kane for a single season. Half that amount per year in wages would get you the best head of recruitment / DoF in the entire division. Given player trading is basically the only meaningful revenue stream that the football club has outside of mere match tickets, why wouldn’t the board invest in making sure that recruitment is as good as it can reasonably be? It’s the only department of the business taking any of the strain off their own wallets. Why would they spend over a million pounds on some new furniture and some fancy LED lights in the changing rooms at Horspath to then starve the club of a vital staff member? How would that make any sense?

The answer is that the board is both willing and able to hire somebody to sit in that chair, and at some point soon they’re going to need to do it regardless of any tantrums that might occur as a result. The recruitment department is currently set up exactly how the person starting to whinge about it on the radio wants it to be.
That’s crazy though, it shouldn’t be up to Karl. I’ve felt for a while that we don’t seem to have much infrastructure.

The only saving grace for me in all this is that our recruitment shouldn't be that complicated.
Our dreamboats are already at the club in my opinion. Moore, Cambran, Henry, Browne, Bodin, Taylor and Baldock. Exceptional for L1.
We are going for solid, resilient, dependable, injury free footballers who give these guys the platform aren't we?
Yes exactly, we’ve already made our marquee signing in Browne. Just need to replace McNally and Kane then fill out the squad with some solid recruits.

Are you both talking change of manger or introduction of a Director of football, because there is not a cat in hells chance of robinson accepting anyone taking the reins from his hands.

We need a Director of Football. That would be a positive change. If KR is isn't willing to accept that then a change of manager is a second change I'd make.

Don't we have Mark Thomas who is Head of Recruitment. I was under the impression that he was heavily involved with finalising deals, as well as using the performance analysis data to help identify our targets. He has been at the club since 2014 so would have been part of the process that has brought in the best players through the MApp and Robinson era's.

At the end of last season he turned down the opportunity to join Portsmouth as their Director of Football, so isn't it reasonable to assume that he is doing a very similar role here?

I'm not saying that everything is perfect but if we put a DoF in place, and Mark Thomas wasn't already with the club, we'd be looking at someone with his CV as being an excellent candidate.

It doesn’t even have to be called that - just an experienced business person to handle recruitment and contracts.

It would be good for KR and OUFC if he just had to concentrate on coaching and managing the team.

Look at Joe Root and Johnny Bairstow now they don't have to captain and keep wicket and can concentrate solely on batting!

Last edited:
It doesn’t even have to be called that - just an experienced business person to handle recruitment and contracts.

When we move out of the Kasstad or the FFP is scrapped, whichever comes first. No way can we compete on wages with the plethora of rich clubs which now inhabit lge1 whilst we are hamstrung by these.

Last edited:
Don't we have Mark Thomas who is Head of Recruitment. I was under the impression that he was heavily involved with finalising deals, as well as using the performance analysis data to help identify our targets. He has been at the club since 2014 so would have been part of the process that has brought in the best players through the MApp and Robinson era's.

At the end of last season he turned down the opportunity to join Portsmouth as their Director of Football, so isn't it reasonable to assume that he is doing a very similar role here?

I'm not saying that everything is perfect but if we put a DoF in place, and Mark Thomas wasn't already with the club, we'd be looking at someone with his CV as being an excellent candidate.

But does he have the business acumen and experience to negotiate contracts and fees and deal with agents? I'm doubting his ability in that sense.

Hi everyone,

i’ve been reading this forum for years without ever registering or posting, but can no longer contain myself from joining in the comments, banter and general discussions. Sorry this is such a long post to start off!

So being totally serious about the most important thing for all OUFC fans at this point in time, this summers recruitment! I was completely in the middle ground of neither negative or positive until the last week or so. For a club we keep hearing about with top 30 aspirations, and wanting to be aggressive, it’s clear even to the most positive amongst us that things haven’t gone as hoped. The reasons we can all debate and have our own thoughts on, and I don't know who’s right, wrong or got the most realistic answer. But if everyone is 100% honest it’s been disappointing thus far. If we realistically are acting as has been suggested we’d have made signings, no question! So why haven’t we?

I‘d suggest in many cases we are perhaps aiming too high and if we were prepared to sign two or three fairly big or wow signings and 4 or 5 sensible solid league one players we’d be far better off than perhaps fishing continuously in over ambitious waters. No matter what the positive amongst suggest, it’s surely obvious that the funds aren’t there to be expecting 7 or 8 top notch players, but if we acted sensibly we could secure a few and then make sure we signed some of the better lower league players or out of contract solid league one players which would give us a serious squad to go to war with. Signing players with a long or serious injury history is just asking for trouble, even if they may produce the odd sensational performance once every now and then. Keep signing the same old players because the manager knows them is just crazy. Jerome Sinclair prime example. Sorry to use him as a scapegoat but if we do sign him it’s a waste of a wage even if on a cheap pay as you play basis. Hardly ever scores, 11 in well over 100 games), didn’t really set the world alight with us a couple years ago and no one has wanted him for 12 months. We can do better, so much better surely, if we really are serious about challenging at the top end this season. You pay for what you get, if the player is really cheap there’s a reason, let’s be all be totally honest!

I’ve got plenty of time and a lot of respect for KR. I think he’s done well for us and his passion and commitment is simply fantastic. He’s brought some very good players to the club as permanent or loan signings, but something just doesn’t sit right these last few months in terms of what we’re led to believe. It’s all very well to suggest we’re looking at some seriously talented high end players but we should be looking at players who we can realistically sign and not those above our station, meaning we miss out on some sensible signings who would enhance the quality of the depth of the squad and enable us to field a strong team week in week out, regardless of any injuries. Squad balance is vital and we‘ve had too many “fancy“ players and lacked proper solid defensive cover for a couple of seasons. Above all we lack generally physical players to actually get us over the line in terms of promotion. The balance of defence, midfield and attack (wingers and strikers) needs to be much better, but we badly need some taller, bigger and stronger players and not keep signing physically weak players who may produce some magical moments now and then, but can‘t cope with the demands of some of the physical league one clubs or wet and cold nights in the middle of winter.

We’ve got a great base of players with those currently in the first team squad but we need to address the issue of proper balance, proper cover and physical presence thats so obviously been lacking. I get so disappointed when I see some of the names mentioned, even if they are supposedly quality they don’t address our problems, especially physicality and size wise. We need some bigger, stronger players to balance everything and give us more options.

I don’t believe the current board really want to go for it until a new ground location is secured, which is fair enough on one hand. If on the other they really want a football club to grow the name and their reputations then we would be signing players like Nicky Cadden ahead of Barnsley all day long. We may of course still do so and I seriously hope we will. The supposed wealth of our owners would mean they don’t honestly worry about spending much bigger than we are used to, as they have so much collateral behind them it’s like buying sweets from a sweet shop. That’s maybe a bit unfair but looking at their backgrounds and financial status they can afford to “play“ with a football club if they really want to, and not worry about a few million losses here and there. I appreciate FFP must be considered, but it worries me when we couldn’t get a shirt sponsor over the line and not to get some new players in by now, even more so. Yet we have fantastic new training facilities etc… so lots of dots but for some reason we’re not crossing the t’s and it’s not all coming together quite as it should.

So here‘s hoping the next few weeks will address squad balance and get us some more physically solid players who are not injury prone (yet at least). Also no cheap but ”let’s take a chance“ options that no one else wants to take a punt on! If we’ve got serious backers we shouldnt be needing to do that.

But does he have the business acumen and experience to negotiate contracts and fees and deal with agents? I'm doubting his ability in that sense.
He's been doing that for the last 8 years.

Do you think that Portsmouth wanted a complete novice to come in as their DoF?

Yeah I have no idea, maybe Karl just needs to let him get on with it. We seem to identify targets well enough but not tie them up.

I think it really depends on who we're missing out on.

So far, and only going off the bits and piece we're talking about on here we've potentially lost Nicky Cadden to Barnsley. Now they might not be the most glamorous of clubs, but they've spent the last few years in the Championship and will likely be able to offer more than us. It looks like we put a counter offer in, but if Barnsley out bid us again there comes a point when you have to move on.

Jodi Jones. Out of contract and had a really bad run of things lately. He knows that another bad injury and his career is pretty much done, so if a Championship club (even if it is Reading) are interested and offering him a better fixed contract rather than the pay as you play that we were looking at then he'd be insane not to at least check them out.

Darragh Burns is a good prospect, no doubt about that. But maybe one that needs a good 6 months or so developing behind the scenes before being ready to make an impression in the first team. MK Dons were looking too, and off the back of their Scott Twine money, maybe they've offered more than we were willing to. If we've looked at Dawson Devoy as an alternative then that's maybe not so much of a hit.

Eoin Toal has been on our radar, but has turned down an offer from Bolton and nay well have done the same with us. Bolton have a great record at bringing Irish players over and flights/ferries from Liverpool to Ireland makes coming and going home easy.

Nathan Holland was offered a deal, and on more money than MK Dons. However he wanted firstvteam football and (rightly) we couldn't give him that assurance. He left for footballing reasons alone, and that's his choice.

Now, I'm sure there have been others, Sammie Szmodics no longer available, Cardiff looking to get what as much as they can for Whyte (having giving us best part of £2m a couple of years ago) as examples. But there's nothing to show that we're fundamentally failing to get deals done because of who we have doing them.

Let's see what this week brings because, as I've said, I think 3 is the minimum we need to bring in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom