Home Match Day Thread 20/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Northampton Town

Who was your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Peterborough and Chavenage are now 1 point and 4 points respectively behind us, both with two games in hand. We're going to struggle to stay in the play offs and we have to play a lot better than we are doing currently!

Really frustrated that we're not able to see games out of press our advantage when we go ahead. Is that on Des? Is he telling them that control is more important than presssing and ramming home our advantage?

This has to be sorted and quickly, otherwise again the fan base will get on his back and he will feel the pressure from his own supporters. Disappointing.

Painful that.

Northampton hardly showed up tonight and we just couldn't hand it to them. Overall a better performance than what we've recently grown accustomed to seeing.. but we look so stagnant and nervous going forward most of the time. It's highly frustrating stuff to watch when we should have easily won the game tonight - we had 18 shots vs NTFC's meagre 6. Both NTFC's goals were against play and defensively we were in the gutter leading up to them.

Mortified at Long's mistake at the end. Glad Goodwin scored. Glad Dale assisted.

Having said that, Des can't be blamed for individuals mistakes - Sam's back pass was absolutely abhorrent given circumstances. Des made a good call tactically tonight switching up roles and formations after our performance at Wycombe.

Ffs

Last edited:
FFS now a draw at home against poxy Northampton.

Will the DESciples on here ever take their heads out of the sands.

Fans need to get together with a protest to get Des replaced by a manager who at least has EFL experience to give us a chance to keep in the play offs otherwise the season is over from us being in 2nd place when Manning left. Come on.

Des can’t legislate for Sam long passing it back 60 yards!

A terrible result, when you look at the balance of play. We created a lot of chances to have won that, unfortunately we have a tendency to either drop points due to game management, or because of shocking defending. I felt tonight was a mixture of both. Des needs to turn these draws into wins. It’s the draws that kill you. It’s 2 points dropped each time. Talking of dropped, I wouldn’t play Sam Long in another game this season. He’s simply not good enough. I’d rather play 3 at the back. Negru,Moore,Brown.

The highlights was seeing Murphy score another, and obviously Goodwin scoring his first goal, and hopefully many more to come.

A massive opportunity missed to create some daylight between us and the chasing trio.

FFS now a draw at home against poxy Northampton.

Will the DESciples on here ever take their heads out of the sands.

Fans need to get together with a protest to get Des replaced by a manager who at least has EFL experience to give us a chance to keep in the play offs otherwise the season is over from us being in 2nd place when Manning left. Come on.

Ah, there you are.

Hello.

Would anyone have the stats for the last 19 games for how many points we've dropped when we score first?

As much as individual errors cost us the win tonight, there is an awful trend of us throwing games away recently...
10 points, including Portsmouth and Derby. We would be clear at the top by a couple ish (6 point swing with Pompey)

When are you ever confident?
Quite a lot actually just a shame mistakes were made and a huge one from Buckingham’s mate and this passing around at the back is going to catch us out a lot more, most fans can see this that’s why I’m not confident for Saturday. A massive, massive disappointment tonight.

We simply have to win that game. We played well enough and Northampton were poor enough, but you must credit them for taking their chances where we didn't. The first goal is poor, no hiding from that. It's a blind pass in n to trouble. We atoned for it with an excellent second goal.

What really annoys me about the second goal is that it didn't come from anything remotely good by Northampton. No pressure, no passing, no unstoppable cross orma shot with real power and accuracy. We've smashed it in to our own half from a complete position of safety and then spent the next 20 seconds trying to cover up that mistake.

Negru should do better but that is a scandalous decision from Long. If you're going to panic, send it the other way. We're 2-1 up against a side that haven't had the quality to go from back to front all game - give them a goal kick and we're out of there with 3 points.

But f**k it, loyal servant. great lad. Oxford boy. Deserves respect... Have I missed an of the other routine excuses? Fed up of it.

Well, I might be in a minority. But (apart from the result) I enjoyed that. Loads of attacking intent. Nine times out of ten, we win that game comfortably .Goodwin is going to be a real threat.Stupid mistake by Negru, but I'm sure everyone forgets that's just the sort of error Rob Dickie used to maje early on. Sam Long is not L1 standard. Win on Saturday and all will be well. Playoffs are still on.
Er, look at Des’s pretty winless record. Then look at the table and note that Peterborough and Stevenage have two games in hand a d Blackpool and Orient are catching up.

We're 5th. And we're getting better. We played some really good football tonight. Missed Brannagan - I don't thinkl that last panic have happened if Brannagan was still on the pitch Did Cummings make a save?

I
Every oxford fan sits somewhere between the chromeyellow and jimsmith2 yellowsforum positive-negative scale.

Back
Top Bottom