General 19/09/2023 - OCC Cabinet Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just done a bit of reaserch, according to an article online I found Brighton's stadium is leasehold

"The freehold is split between the University of Brighton and the Brighton & Hove City Council. The leasehold belongs to the club through its company Community Stadium Limited"

So I'd say a leasehold is good as long as the rent is reasonable

I'm getting the sense the council want a leasehold so they can work with OUFC to develop a stadium fit for everyone.

Cllr Leffman very impressed with the promotion of women's football, especially sterling job from Gemma Sims to convince the council of that.

I think them getting the working right re the protection of the land forbidding any other development than a football stadium (and associated businesses) is pretty vital. Not only for the council, but for us in the future. We all know that football club owners move on or sell clubs, and should a less benevolent owner be in charge we need to be protected. A few minutes here might save years of heartache later on (and it's not as if we haven't been affected before).

Yes it's annoying that they've got all these breaks but this is a vital decision for everyone concerned. Far rather they took their time today than had to come back in several months again, or put something on the table that will definitely be rejected at planning.

Leasehold will be the best option for everyone, stick us on a 250 year lease at peppercorn rent with the requirement that the land must be used for football. Sorts out the problem of Kassam 2.0 deciding to asset strip the club in future years. The stadium will in effect be owned by the community.

Its a bit frustrating, but I'm actually really impressed by the cabinet working through this, seeing that the leasehold may be a better option, unless they're convinced the club has protection from being separated from the ground during the commercial negotiation and so getting a form of words that covers that and allows them to make a definitive decision today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom