Away Match Day Thread 19/08/2023 - L1: Barnsley v OUFC

Who was your Man of the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Unbelievable and so exciting! First ever time I’ve had chance to buy a season ticket and looks like it’ll be a good ride! Couldn’t have imagined 6 points from those two games. With a couple of additions we can be a real force. Have to say I was skeptical after the first two games because we’ve still got a lot of the same players as last year but huge credit for them keeping the belief and cracking on in the best possible fashion. Nearly screamed my house down after that third goal from Goodhram!! COYY!!

We seem to have a bit of backbone about us this season, poor couple first couple of games but then we scrap out a home win, follow that up with back to back away wins to two of the better teams in the league.

We have some talent, but just as importantly we seem to be well organised and have a bit of steel in us, qualities you need to push on.

Barnsley were similar to Derby, they had a bit of threat but were somewhat one-paced and one-dimensional. We were a class above them. We should have been out of sight before Barnsley got their goal and that made for a slightly nervy finish, and Cole had two more good chances after that. But we saw the game out and got the third we deserved, which from the commentary sounded like Tyler took it around the keeper and put it into the net, but actually Gatlin toe-poked it through to Tyler and then he poked it past the keeper at his near post, a nice finish as it gave no time for the keeper to get down.

Our season will be defined by how we play against the hoofball sides. Cambridge have shown themselves to be no mugs so our result there doesn't look as bad now, but we'll need to cope with the aerial bombardments and that's how we've conceded since the Cambridge game. If we can iron out the set-piece defending we'll be comfortable in a lot of games this season.
Difference the last two games is we knew when to put a foot through the ball, and also play the diagonal ball to expose both teams lack of pace. Perhaps we didn’t respect Cambridge enough as we were one dimensional in comparison (passing around the back and predictable consequently). Well done Manning for mixing it up.

Last edited:
I've thrown my MoM vote away again to GoD. I know you can't earn MoM in the last few minutes, but he absolutely changed the game again by fighting and holding against some experienced defenders, made the goal for Tylaaaaaahhhhhh and might have popped one in himself.

It was hilarious watching Barnsley's CBs trying to keep up with GOD and Tyler. Regularly had a several yard head start, but looked like they were running in quicksand as our youngsters breezed past them.

After this week's results, you look up and down the division and think 'OK, who is there to be scared of'? Last year, there were four excellent teams; the year before, there were about eight. This year? Right now, you'd think that everyone else will be scared of us!

(but we do need to add more depth in the next two weeks.......)

Thought we coasted that game. Mcguane and brannigan had really good games. Liked the way we didn't collapse after they made it 2-1 like oxford teams of old would have. We messed up some really good chances so could easily have been 5 or 6. Barnsley should have had at least 1 player sent off. That guy on a yellow who got subbed after blatantly tripping browne and the guy who fouled god on a yellow when we scored at the end.

I'm weirdly not too fussed about the result today. I'm more interested in seeing evidence that Tuesday night wasn't a flash in the pan performance, and that we can replicate it going forward. Particularly because, after Charlton next Saturday, we have what looks to be a very favourable run of games against teams you would expect to be mid-table or relegation candidates. Our next (on paper) game against a playoff contender would be Blackpool in mid-October. Show that we can play like we did against Derby regularly and I'll be happy, regardless of whether Barnsley nick a win or draw.

That said, win this and I won't be able to stop myself getting stupidly optimistic for the season ahead. Winning at Pride Park and Oakwell are the kinds of results that promoted teams get. Granted both clubs seem to be in a bit of a weird place at the moment, but they are still both big outfits in this league and have masses of individual quality. It would be an extraordinarily impressive week.

I'm going to go for a 1-1 draw (Browne to get off the mark). Would absolutely take that.
Going to be extremely hard not to get carried away now. I think that might be the two most impressive consecutive results in my year of supporting OUFC. The team seem to have gelled so quickly. Hell of a start to the season.

*years of supporting lol. Wouldn’t be much of a statement if my first game had been losing at home to MK Dons last September.

Last edited:
Going to be extremely hard not to get carried away now. I think that might be the two most impressive consecutive results in my year of supporting OUFC. The team seem to have gelled so quickly. Hell of a start to the season.

I would say the last 2 away games have surpassed the beating of Sheffield Wednesday on their patch. Especially today , it felt like we could go up a gear anytime and create chances. 3-1 flattered Barnsley.

Indeed it is. Also the fact that Cambridge top the table sort of makes our opening day defeat a bit more palatable.

Disappointed not to have kept a clean sheet tbh, which says how comfortable and in control we were for most of the game. Should've been three or four up by the time they got one back. Fully deserved the two goal margin given how many times we did everything right bar the final touch. A perfect away performance where we looked like we could score every time we turned the ball over.

To go away to Derby and Barnsley in the space of a few days and come back with six points is something absolutely any team in the division would be delighted by. The team deserves a big crowd next Saturday.

It makes a nice change to be in the leading pack, rather than the KR era, when we was always playing catch up.

We will be Top 4 this season.

Back
Top Bottom